SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 30
Default Joseph Harbor

Does anyone know if Joseph Harbor boat launch still open?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Why wouldn't it be?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Sand Trout

The lady said that all the rears are closed till March 1
Old 12-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Tripletail

Thats just the Bertrand canal. They have signs posted where you cant go. The main canals and weirs stay open. The closed areas are clearly marked. I am pretty certain about that. What Lady? The one at rollover?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Sand Trout

Yes thanks again
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Tripletail

That only thing that old bat knows is how to ask for 5$ and to remind you not to back off the end of the ramp.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Thats just the Bertrand canal. They have signs posted where you cant go. The main canals and weirs stay open. The closed areas are clearly marked. I am pretty certain about that. What Lady? The one at rollover?

I was always told that you can only use the main canals in Rockefeller to have access to the gulf. You aren't allowed to get out on the wiers again until March. But I may have been wrong these last 20 years or so. LOL
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Tripletail

I remember fishing around the Game Warden Camp in the winter. The specks pile up back there when it gets cold. As for the weirs, I haven't cast netted or crabbed since I was a kid, so I couldn't comment about that. I have fished the six pipes at rollover all winter. I am pretty sure the canals that are off limits are posted and the rest is fair game. I am going to double check that.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Tripletail

As per web site

"1. The visiting season on the Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge will extend from March 1st to December 1st throughout the Refuge except those restricted areas designated to prohibit interference with research and management activities. Use of Humble Canal; Joseph Harbor Bayou; Headquarters Canal; East End Road and Locks; Union Producing Canal; Deep Lake; East End Boundary Canal; and Rollover Bayou shall be year round. In addition to this access, sport fishermen shall be permitted to enter the Refuge from the Gulf side in Pigeon Bayou, Big Constance Bayou, and Little Constance Bayou. Access through these bayous will be permitted only as far inland as the existing water control structures. The remainder of the Refuge shall be restricted during the winter months and will be closed to all trespassing."

"Approximately 106 miles of canals are available to the public for recreational fishing during the spring, summer, and fall. Around 40% of these canals contain fresh to periodically brackish waters. During the winter months many of these fishing canals are closed, as sections of the refuge are closed to limit disturbance to wintering waterfowl. Around 40 miles of canal remain open year round."

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/rockefe...or-regulations

Now thats not really definitive but the launch to the gulf is about 7 miles. So I guess there is another 33 miles of canal that stay open year round. Sorry about the last 20 years.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
As per web site

"Approximately 106 miles of canals are available to the public for recreational fishing during the spring, summer, and fall. Around 40% of these canals contain fresh to periodically brackish waters. During the winter months many of these fishing canals are closed, as sections of the refuge are closed to limit disturbance to wintering waterfowl. Around 40 miles of canal remain open year round."

Now thats not really definitive but the launch to the gulf is about 7 miles. So I guess there is another 33 miles of canal that stay open year round. Sorry about the last 20 years.

Good to know. I never really looked into it that much because I don't really go there in the winter. But I guess it was because i thought it was off limits. LOL
Old 12-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Tripletail

From mid Nov, to mid Dec you can catch some specks during the cold snaps but its very hit and miss. Most of those canals are about 3 or 4 feet at high tide. If the tides falling and the north wind is kicking it empties out pretty quick. The Heber canal from Sostans landing at rollover to where the refuge starts holds redfish in the winter. It can get really good in there if the tide is moving. Flat lake gets good on a high tide. Biggest school of reds I have ever seen has been back there.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default The RO

Quote:
That only thing that old bat knows is how to ask for 5$ and to remind you not to back off the end of the ramp.
That is just mean. Thread lightly.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let um land View Post
That is just mean. Thread lightly.
Well she's always been pretty unfriendly towards me, and would give us grief about putting a offshore boat in there. We launched it 10 times one summer and every time she told us it was too big. We had to remind here we put it in there the week before. I am sorry if she is a friend of yours but she's always been pushy to the point of being rude to me.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Tripletail

But you are right, that was kinda mean.