SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Offshore Report

Well Crawl79 and I could find a 3rd partner.. So no diving for us...

Stopped at rollover and cast-netted hoping for some croakers.. Not to be..

No water movement. But on to plan B.. 15-20 count shrimp.

Got about 100 15-20's, a few lady fish and mullets..

Off we went.. Got to the gulf.. Weather man had it wrong. 1 ft's were 2-3's.

Well eased out and it was a realllllyyyyyyy choppy confused seas. was hoping it would lay down as it does later after sun gets high and the farther out we go. there was Nothing on the back side, kidney bleeding seas. but was able to stay at 20 knots.

Finally found a sweet spot by using trim tabs down. Well at about 8 miles started see broken patches of grass.

Well we start to drift the bigger patches looking for trips.. Well did this a while.. Was saw about 20 small trips. Eric(Crawl79) hooks into a large one.

We land a large trip.. Grass has baby AJ and albaco jack by the 100's. This is all in 40' of water.

Well we push on hoping to see more grass further out.. Got to Verm 60 water was gin clear. If is wasn't 2-3' sea probably could see Almost to the bottom.

Still could see about 30 down.. Caught the endangered reds snaps up to about 10#. Missed 2 small ling at blk 60 as they followed Crawls small snap..

Never could get to mangroves. So off we went back noth hoping to catch up with the grass.

Finally found them but they are elongated and not every wide..

Start to drift grass again. Crawl catches a small aj.. as he reels if in here comes a nice 35# ling. I get a rods rigged with a jig. Down if down. I get a hook into him.. He spits it out. So miss a NICE Ling.. I'm down.. so again we drifting and see dozs of small trips..

Patch to patch we go. Crawl up on the front deck.. I'm running motor..

Finally a real nice trip runs out and follows Eric's gulp.. I cast to him and he inhales it.

Get him into boat .. High 5's. then back at it.. It's getting late. We on a nice patch and wham.. I had just mentioned to Eric I'm surprised with the water was awesome we weren't seeing any Mahi.. A few minutes later, here come 3 nice cows following Eric's jig.

He hooks a nice one the other 2 spook. I try getting a bait out to the other but try head back to the safety of the grass.

A tried a few more small patches but no legal trips..

I did catch a 32" ling before we call it a day.. We let the ling go..

Not a bad day.. We see probably 50 trips. about 8-12 legal size.. Could get the to come out i guess because it was rough.

If the weather man had get it right.. We could have smacked them.

Again all within 8-9 miles of rollover in 40' of water.