SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Totally agree with you Duckman....If bubba comes get me and he don't have no beer he will be taken care of....If he got some I hope he willing to share...Jokes aside if anyone ever suspects they might be involved with this at least take some kind of first aid course or better yet get with the local volenteer fire dept. you will get some training and the more vol. they have supposedly your fire ins. is bettered for the community...I for one hope I never have to wait for a professional to get me....I will catch the first banana boat out of town and that boat hopefully will be mine loaded with a bunch of people who just want to be on dry ground.....
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

[QUOTE=seachaser250;804875]We can all go back and forth all day long on this.

The fact is ,god forbid this happen again..no one will one be stopped and asked "did you complete the XYZ bull**** annual training certification program" before they launch their boat to go out and save some people in a sudden massive disaster situation.

Which is why such a program is a waste of time and taxpayer money.[/QUOTEz
Nailed it. See we can agree.lol
Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
Did this not happen during Katrina?
Let me ask you do you have any emergency management experience?
Do you have any time in the trenches responding to emergencies?
What we saw last week was crazy I'll give you that. Are we thankful for the citizen responders, yes. Was it annoying when citizens got in the way and pushed wakes that made the situation more dangerous? Yes. Would an organized force have been more beneficial? Yes.
Can this be done? Yes.
Is there a program already like this out there..... I'll give you a second and you can guess this one......

Yes!
https://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams

Wow this isn't hurting anything and amazingly they work! But if you were involved in regional disaster response you would know all of these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had any official mass emergency response training but the training I do have and the on scene learning I do have tells me this. If you wait people die. Sometimes you have to make a choice. Wait for orders or do what your heart tells you to do.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I haven't had any official mass emergency response training but the training I do have and the on scene learning I do have tells me this. If you wait people die. Sometimes you have to make a choice. Wait for orders or do what your heart tells you to do.

What I am saying is have an organized force that a mass text or some sort of alert that would mobilize these volunteers and they can spring into action. I never recommended waiting for some sort of deceleration....

Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
What I am saying is have an organized force that a mass text or some sort of alert that would mobilize these volunteers and they can spring into action. I never recommended waiting for some sort of deceleration....

Something like that would work. Sign up. Name and cell number. I'm sure it would take several tast texts to get it running 100% but yeah something like that could work.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Something like that would work. Sign up. Name and cell number. I'm sure it would take several tast texts to get it running 100% but yeah something like that could work.

And then the training I was talking about is just communication and organizational things.... I wasn't asking for people to be water rescue technicians...lol

Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Set up an obstacle like this if you can pull it off your in. If not send them back to the Sigma Nu house with their tail between their legs.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
And then the training I was talking about is just communication and organizational things.... I wasn't asking for people to be water rescue technicians...lol

I spent 37 years in emergency services. If it is not organized it is chaos and DANGEROUS. If you have not been there, you don't know. PERIOD.

My post was simple, some of the "responders" became the problem. They were few.

I hope there is no fees involved.

Eventually, they were sending all those that wanted to help to Cabela's and putting a first responder with them. THIS WORKED.

I have no clue what the training will be, but hope it involves pairing up those that want to help with someone who is trained.

And I'm done with this.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
When I had my license and was guiding, during Katrina, you could sign up to be on a call list and they would call you if you were ne we needed. It worked, but was slow. With texting, etc something like thi a could be awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Sailfish

My point all along is that this scared our government. During Katrina people helped but they waited first.This time they didnt wait. They acted. Our government saw how much they weren't needed
Old 08-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
OK, then make the law so that government employees go to jail if they stop good samaritans, but don't make extra requirements for the good samaritans.

Control government without making good neighbors jump through hoops.

Is that so hard to understand?

/end thread
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Swordfish

Quote:

Im sure a lot of these "cajun navy" had these group texts going on. A buddy of mine rescued 100+ ppl before 1st responders even showed up. Musta been a miracle cuz he had now emergency training. Just grab his nuts got in his boat and helped any and everyone he could. I understand that 1st responders and government cronies are pissed. They got blown out of the water by your every day coonass. Cant compare this flood with Katrina. This didnt happen in the jungle. This was people knowing their neighborhoods and knowing their neighbor. They went in and did what had to be done to save lives. Bottom line. That guy in the facebook video is nothing but a politician doing what a politician does best. Backpeddling when the water gets hot. And hes good at what he does. He got a lot of ppl believing his crap. Politicians dont ever let a good tragedy go to waste.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Im sure a lot of these "cajun navy" had these group texts going on. A buddy of mine rescued 100+ ppl before 1st responders even showed up. Musta been a miracle cuz he had now emergency training. Just grab his nuts got in his boat and helped any and everyone he could. I understand that 1st responders and government cronies are pissed. They got blown out of the water by your every day coonass. Cant compare this flood with Katrina. This didnt happen in the jungle. This was people knowing their neighborhoods and knowing their neighbor. They went in and did what had to be done to save lives. Bottom line. That guy in the facebook video is nothing but a politician doing what a politician does best. Backpeddling when the water gets hot. And hes good at what he does. He got a lot of ppl believing his crap. Politicians dont ever let a good tragedy go to waste.

Did I ever once say this was a bad thing that happened? Don't believe so. Go all the back to the OP. What I have said however was looking at ways to improve a response in the future. To integrate efforts. After a couple days in waste deep water I am grateful for all citizen volunteers. I can't think of one first responder who isn't... Things can always be worse and when that worst case comes we need to be ready..... Oh but what do I know I volunteer with a company that steals and work for a department that is pissed we got help.... Y'alls reasoning makes so much sense! I'm done with this....

Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

The guy I sold my 5 ton to had to lead the Guard in certain areas in BR. They didn't know the area and were scared to proceed so Ashton jumped in and lead. We have to band together as a community in these times. I could see training, but volunteer only. I have been involved in flood aid and disaster relief situations, it can get dangerous if there is no communication. Sometimes there isn't time, you have to think it all through before you react if possible but keep moving. At the end of the day safety is key. Tell a politician to pull up to someone in a boat, look them in the eye while their life is on the line and say "sorry, I can't help". I bet it wouldn't happen if it was their family.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I think ALL that is needed is to pass a simple regulation that states

"in times of emergency, the local official in charge of emergency response for the area involved can empower and authorize "anyone" to act as a good Samaritan and he and they will be "free from liability and regulation" for doing so and they will be able to serve as auxiliary emergency responders and be directed for duties as such"

feel free to take my words exactly and make it law, you don't need permits, classes, special training, or anything else.

in the case of applying this to boats, you simply make sure they are meeting the basic coast guard safety checks and issue them a basic "passed CG inspection" letter is all that should be required

if all that is desired is to simplify the process and make sure people get help they need, then nothing more should be asked for, but since when does common sense apply
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

There were multiple guides w/ 6 pak license that were turned away by state police. It seems that the local leo was happy to have any help. I understand that yes i can take a boat and in my area i know the ditches and canals and short cuts i could take if needed when flooded. But what if it flooded in Lafayette ? I dont know the area or where certain streets are . If i took a boat there i would be in the way. Now if thru a group i could be paired up with someone who lived there it would be totally different
Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

The problem with common sense these days is that it isn't so common any more....lol.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Swordfish

More laws just takes more freedom away. How about removing laws restricting civilians.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

I couldn't understand the need to permit the rescuers until I thought about the security aspect. I know most on here will say that they will not leave their home, but many people do, and if the water gets high enough you will also.

When we think of the Cajun Navy we picture ourselves or our friends in our duck boats, but what is stopping the shady members of society. They could easily get in a boat and access abandoned homes even after curfew hours and claim they are part of the Cajun Navy.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Did I ever once say this was a bad thing that happened? Don't believe so. Go all the back to the OP. What I have said however was looking at ways to improve a response in the future. To integrate efforts. After a couple days in waste deep water I am grateful for all citizen volunteers. I can't think of one first responder who isn't... Things can always be worse and when that worst case comes we need to be ready..... Oh but what do I know I volunteer with a company that steals and work for a department that is pissed we got help.... Y'alls reasoning makes so much sense! I'm done with this....

No need to get so butthurt. I don't think being organized is a bad idea and I don't think anyone else does either. The thing is how does it get done and who foots the bill? People spent their own time and money to go help even though I'm sure some of them had a flooded house too. Training and organization will cost money. Yeah it may not have been perfect but it worked and people are alive because of it. After all of the training even first responders get in trouble and need to be rescued themselves.