SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

There are Reds elsewhere, just too easy to get a limit at the weirs.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Also, just think is you could not fish the weirs, in turn, more boats fishing the lake. Next, some will be *****ing about that and saying why cannot people fish the weirs.....this would help reduce the # of people fishing the lake. If the LDWF thought fishing the weirs were an issue, it would not be allowed.
Call them and ask them that.....the have given more tickets at the weirs for outlawing shrimp,red,and fishing in posted area than they have given though out the whole lake
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Call them and ask them that.....the have given more tickets at the weirs for outlawing shrimp,red,and fishing in posted area than they have given though out the whole lake

Sounds like the weirs are easy fishing for them also
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
FOOL, you are what is wrong with this "generation" Get your head out of your A@$ and start thinking about the future. You know nothing about what goes into limits or regulations, I use to respect you, but you have quickly overstepped your shoe size and gotten into a way of thinking that puts you way down on the list of people on this site.

When you get home from school, look up the redfish population struggles in louisiana over the past few decades. Look at the sandhill cranes. Look at any resource that isnt monitored closely and look what happens when changes arent dynamic.

Let me know.

My head is out of my azz. Thanks.

What pisses me off, is all the rules takes the fun out of fishing. I love it when the fish aint biting and i can go to the weirs and catch reds,why?? Because its fun!! I mean look at it like this..from a young kid who likes to fish..not me,"Daddy can we go catch reds at the weirs," "No buddy, some snot-nosed people dont allow that anymore"
The reds move around, the reds have plenty of time to get out of the weirs, yall act like people fish this place 24 friggin hours a day.
And i do care about the,"conservation", but you got to think about the average joe fishermen..Not some big trout,wannabe guide. Or some guy that knows every hole on that lake. Some people don't know any spots on biglake, and they fish the weirs for 2 sole purposes, to have fun, and catch fish to eat!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
My head is out of my azz, thanks for the tip

What pisses me off, is all the rules takes the fun out of fishing. I love it when the fish aint biting and i can go to the weirs and catch reds,why?? Because its fun!! I mean look at it like this..from a young kid who likes to fish..not me,"Daddy can we go catch reds at the weirs," "No buddy, some snot-nosed people dont allow that anymore"
The reds move around, the reds have plenty of time to get out of the weirs, yall act like people fish this place 24 friggin hours a day.
And i do care about the,"conservation", but you got to think about the average joe fishermen..Not some big trout,wannabe guide. Or some guy that knows every hole on that lake. Some people don't know any spots on biglake, and they fish the weirs for 2 sole purposes, to have fun, and catch fish to eat!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post

yall make things more complicated than they need to be!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
yall make things more complicated than they need to be!
Preach it Fool!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

last thing i want to say about this......i agree with you fool about dads taking kids out to have a good time. That being said what about every other place in this state to fish that doesn't have a "kiddy pool" for the less skilled fisherman to catch fish. What do fathers do then? The teach their kids to find the fish based on habitat and habits of fish. I have said it a thousand times on this forum that call it fishing not catching. I don't catch fish every time I go fishing and you know what that makes me a better fisherman because it forces me to try new things. The real question you should ask yourself is what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Great White

"
what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch? "

As in they went fishing at the weirs and didn't catch fish? Well son thats why its fishing and not catching.

Yall just want to make it more complicated. And thats when all the fun is takin out of it. Not like yall are going to get this changed, so pretty much this is a waste of my time, on an ignorant thread...but yeah
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
King Mackeral

[QUOTE=Mediumheavyaction6'6;118539]last thing i want to say about this......i agree with you fool about dads taking kids out to have a good time. That being said what about every other place in this state to fish that doesn't have a "kiddy pool" for the less skilled fisherman to catch fish. What do fathers do then? The teach their kids to find the fish based on habitat and habits of fish. I have said it a thousand times on this forum that call it fishing not catching. I don't catch fish every time I go fishing and you know what that makes me a better fisherman because it forces me to try new things. The real question you should ask yourself is what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch?[/QUOTE]

do you really feel we are hurting the red fish population? it is hard for me to believe by fishing out a 1 acre area in the lake you are going to hurt the population. I'm not as educated on this as yall but you cant tell me that this is hurting the population when there is a ton of marsh entrances in the lake and ship channel but these 3 areas are the only places they are going to go hell it aint big enough for you to fit that many boats in there to hurt the population
Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

If there are no more Reds in Big Lake it will not be because of people catching their limit at the WEIRS......
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
If there are no more Reds in Big Lake it will not be because of people catching their limit at the WEIRS......

no more fishing the jetties this is how they get in to lake i think we should give them a fighting chance oh and no more fishing rigs this is a structure that keeps fish ganged up and its unfair too....oh and oyster reefs way to many fish there tooo
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Great White

Quote:
no more fishing the jetties this is how they get in to lake i think we should give them a fighting chance oh and no more fishing rigs this is a structure that keeps fish ganged up and its unfair too....oh and oyster reefs way to many fish there tooo

Don't use the birds to locate fish either!! Why you at it, might aswell ban all livebait fishing from the lake..and only 25 hp and under.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
King Mackeral

[quote=adamsfence;118546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post
last thing i want to say about this......i agree with you fool about dads taking kids out to have a good time. That being said what about every other place in this state to fish that doesn't have a "kiddy pool" for the less skilled fisherman to catch fish. What do fathers do then? The teach their kids to find the fish based on habitat and habits of fish. I have said it a thousand times on this forum that call it fishing not catching. I don't catch fish every time I go fishing and you know what that makes me a better fisherman because it forces me to try new things. The real question you should ask yourself is what does the dad say to the kids when there are no redfish to catch?[/QUOTE]

do you really feel we are hurting the red fish population? it is hard for me to believe by fishing out a 1 acre area in the lake you are going to hurt the population. I'm not as educated on this as yall but you cant tell me that this is hurting the population when there is a ton of marsh entrances in the lake and ship channel but these 3 areas are the only places they are going to go hell it aint big enough for you to fit that many boats in there to hurt the population
to be honest with you adam i am not arguing the fact that this one area is going to decimate the population of reds. i am simply having trouble understanding the mentality of a person being upset that some people would like to limit the slaughter of fish. i love to eat fish and my figure represents that but i also want to be able and catch the numbers of fish i do until i can't cast a line anymore. the only way in my opinion that happens is if we educate the meat hunters and work towards preserving the above average populations we have here.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

What if, the ship channel was never dugout. Would the weirs be needed?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
King Mackeral

[quote=Mediumheavyaction6'6;118552]
Quote:

to be honest with you adam i am not arguing the fact that this one area is going to decimate the population of reds. i am simply having trouble understanding the mentality of a person being upset that some people would like to limit the slaughter of fish. i love to eat fish and my figure represents that but i also want to be able and catch the numbers of fish i do until i can't cast a line anymore. the only way in my opinion that happens is if we educate the meat hunters and work towards preserving the above average populations we have here.

let me put it this way what is the difference between 4 boats at the weirs and 4 boats on a flock of birds in the middle of the lake. during the summer you can always find some birds ........... i agree that if it hurts the population lets slow down by all means. but what i am saying is the weirs can't be the problem etc lower limits, change size limits that one spot is not going to make a that much of a difference

im not arguing we just have a difference of opion on this area. its all good
Old 02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
King Mackeral

[quote=adamsfence;118560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post

let me put it this way what is the difference between 4 boats at the weirs and 4 boats on a flock of birds in the middle of the lake. during the summer you can always find some birds ........... i agree that if it hurts the population lets slow down by all means. but what i am saying is the weirs can't be the problem etc lower limits, change size limits that one spot is not going to make a that much of a difference

im not arguing we just have a difference of opion on this area. its all good
you and i just agreed because that is exactly what i am saying. i don't understand someone getting upset about something that could help the fish and in turn the fishermen. i am not familiar with that area at all so i can't say what is good or not good. what i am saying is if people get irate about conservation then our future is bleak.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Great White

yall are about to make me email a marine bioligist that knows my sister..
Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Quote:
yall are about to make me email a marine bioligist that knows my sister..
Do it fool I dare ya!!!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
King Mackeral

[quote=Mediumheavyaction6'6;118565]
Quote:

you and i just agreed because that is exactly what i am saying. i don't understand someone getting upset about something that could help the fish and in turn the fishermen. i am not familiar with that area at all so i can't say what is good or not good. what i am saying is if people get irate about conservation then our future is bleak.

hey what about that platform for your boat did you decide not to do it or what i haven't heard anymore about it?