SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Flounder

Cash: 610
Default Alaska

Going to Alaska in June. Given the choice between a salmon trip or trying for halibut, which would you choose? I have heard mixed reports about peoples experience with salmon in Alaska, some people loved it, some though it was very dissatisfying. Lots of fish, but kinda like shooting fish in a barrel when they are heading up river. I don't know anyone who has ever been on a halibut trip.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Man I always wanted to get on some of dem giant flounder! I say Halibut all the way!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Halibut get huge. That would be my choice!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Yep. Catch white meat fish.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Man I always wanted to get on some of dem giant flounder! I say Halibut all the way!

X2!!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongRun View Post
Going to Alaska in June. Given the choice between a salmon trip or trying for halibut, which would you choose? I have heard mixed reports about peoples experience with salmon in Alaska, some people loved it, some though it was very dissatisfying. Lots of fish, but kinda like shooting fish in a barrel when they are heading up river. I don't know anyone who has ever been on a halibut trip.
We went to Alaska in 2010 and had several guided trips for both. Five of six guides we used were very good, but one was a dishonest incompetent PETA type who was more concerned with conserving a plentiful resource than helping us catch any fish.

On the whole, my wife and I found the halibut fishing more satisfying. If you are DoD (military or civilian, have a CAC card), the Halibut trips we did out of Seward Resort were very, very good and we'd recommend them highly. Seward is on Resurrection Bay and if we ever go back, we will spend the whole time there and not waste time on the Kenai Peninsula which was much less satisfying and had more than one or two businesses designed to take unfair advantage of tourists. Resurrection Bay is the most beautiful place on earth, and the tourist oriented businesses there treat customers very well. Better restaurants than Kenai also, and talented guides.

On Kenai, it seems that every spare room is for rent, every unemployed drunk is a fishing guide, and everyone looks at tourists with dollar signs in his eyes.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Flounder

Cash: 610

Thanks. Gonna be fishing one day, prolly out of Seward if we do halibut. It's where we pick up the ferry to cross the sound for our stay in Cordova. If we do salmon we will use the guy at our lodge. Bears Den. Know anything about them?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Flounder

Cash: 671

I am in Alaska now, ive been here for a few weeks, and been on a few halibut trips out of Homer it about a 2 hr drive from Seward but it was worth it. Nice trip caught some nice fish I would deffinately choose the halibut trip. You can get a trip around here for aroun 200 a person, I have some numbers if u need them. Also on the halibut trip you can try for some kings, at least that's what we did both times but they are a little harder to catch and only caught a few.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

There arent any Bears chasing you in the ocean!! Halibut!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Got it on the "bucket list" I want to catch some of them big Flatties.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,628

My best friend in high school lives in Alaska. We did all the trips on a vacation up there with them. I believe it depends on what kind of fishing you like to do. With the Halibut you are basically deep sea fishing- dropping bait straight down with a lot of weight and current. The fish are some of the best eating you will find.
Salmon fishing is more casting and presentation even if you are catching reds which do not bite but you have to hook them in the mouth to keep them so it involves some technique. I personally enjoyed the salmon fishing better because of the way I like to fish and catching fish you can see is always cool. Like I said personal preference.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Halibut for sure imo. A guy i work with went to alaska and fished for them. Went and ate some one night that he blackened with a shrimp and crabmeat creme sause over it and i just about caught a stroke. Was the best fish i've ever had.