SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334
Default Spiral??? Micro Guide?????

Maybe this question has been asked before but, what is the advantage of a spiral guide rod? If it is so much better, why aren't the major rod makers selling rods like this? To complicate this question, what is the deal with micro guides?
I have no dog in the fight, just curious why one would want a spiral guide/ micro guide fishing pole.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Maybe this question has been asked before but, what is the advantage of a spiral guide rod? If it is so much better, why aren't the major rod makers selling rods like this? To complicate this question, what is the deal with micro guides?
I have no dog in the fight, just curious why one would want a spiral guide/ micro guide fishing pole.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I was told the spiral is called a wind rod.....supposed to be able to cast into the wind without the backlash.......

Doesn't work for me tho...I even backlash casting with the wind!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

What I know! When picking a blank out you have to find things on that blank to pick where you place your eyes! When you have a spiral eye rod...you can place where ever you want them!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

I have one dont like it as much as a regular rod with straight eyes.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Idk bout the spiral but the micro are pretty cool I can cast further w them but there are 2 diff sizes in micros I have the bigger of the 2 which allows my leader to main line knit to pass w/o hang up , if u use the smaller I've found the largest leader tied with a uni to uni that can pass thru w/o hang up issues is 15#
Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Raymond, when this weather dies down, we can hook up and I can let you throw a couple of different spiral rods.
Then you can see for yourself.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

I got micro guides in a castaway skeleton, love em!!
Like pox said Ur leader line will catch if it's bigger than 15 # and u have the small eyes.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

There are supposed to be several advantages to micro guides:
- Micro guides weigh less and less weight, especially at the rod tip = more sensitivity and an overall lighter rod
- Casting distance is expected to be increased as there is a direct line from butt to tip and less line slap (less play)
- Supposedly get less line twist/knots especially with braid

As far as the spiral guides, I have heard the same exact thing as Jeremy. Each blank is unique and has a specific flex point. If you spiral wrap it then you can ignore that.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

The spiral wrap was first used on heavy salt water rods.
with the line coming off the end of the rod on bottom it cuts out the torque that makes the reel want turn over when fighting a big fish.
Can't see where it would make a big difference on a freswater casting rod???
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022
Default Done smaller blanks with spiral microguides

I usually spiral setup with microguides on lighter blanks to put less stress on the blank. I built this one for small crankbaits for fishing in spillway.
You got to 1st find out where the blank flexes you don't want to have to fight the blank wanting to twist while fighting the fish.
Instead of putting guides on top I like doing spiral to put guides on bottom makes the fight easier.

CutRate blank which I did split grip microguides

This where I start the spiral guide turn

This toward end of blank turned on bottom so see the microguides
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

the spiral wrap does take stress off the blank and puts more stress on the guides, and the microguides( I have the bigger ones too) helps you feel the bite better, more sensitive because it brings your line closer to the blank. and you can cast further, micro guides also weigh less. . the only reason I don't use a spinning rod more often is cuz I can't cast it accurately and have a harder time fishing with it in shallow water. my rods I have made are very light and I feel some of the most lightest bites, I like lite weight rods, split foam grips, plenty of guides and not too much extra put on the blank, the more crap you have on the blank the more weight it adds and sensitivity it takes away. I usually don't cast in the wind too often so I don't know about the "your able to cast in the wind" theory! One Big disadvantage about spiral rods are that when you sit your rod facing with the reel up, your guides at the end of your rod are pointing down which has always caused me to use more caution about where I lay them.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,022

Don't have trouble laying rod down with microguides. I am rough on rods which is why I don't want to put too much time or money in building one with nice blank. Go for the bargin bin blank with blemishes which is not for the guy wanting a top notch rod. This one only lasted about 2 years so far. All that distance stuff don't know. Just like using them the cost is less for guides, have less issues with guides breaking, and light which makes rod more sensitive. On cold days I feel speckle trout barely tapping my lures where my friends with the heavier graphite rods cannot feel them.