SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Right before you turn onto the new on the left there is a lady that sells live crabs. She has them in a tank with circulated saltwater going through it, you can normally get the smaller crabs for $6 a dozen. They may be missing a leg but you using them for bait so that's not an issue.

We never rigged our like Math Geek. We would pull off the pinchers, take a pare of snips and cut the spines off the top shell and then hook a 6/0 hook through the rear most leg where it connect to the body. Carolina rigged with a 2 oz weight minimum.

I prefer to use a large spinning reel to fish Bulls at night. I can cast it further, I don't have to put m finger and stop it mid right before it hits the water in the dark. You don't have to set the it with different size baits.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Redfish

Cash: 969

We rented a beachfront camp, and will definitely run out to do some night fishing. Are things still fairly tide dependent at night, or do the bulls typically feed then? I'm the kind of guy who can be perfectly happy going 12 hours without a bite as long as I get that one crazy rush of hooking up with a big fish. And as a guy who primarily fished for white perch, that's pretty much anything over 3 lbs!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I never had luck close to Grand Isle in the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
There are so many people and so many boats, you can't find any piece and quiet to fish.
I'd head toward Leeville and fish off of the old highway if I were not fishing out of a boat.
That old highway is almost deserted.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I never had luck close to Grand Isle in the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
There are so many people and so many boats, you can't find any piece and quiet to fish.
I'd head toward Leeville and fish off of the old highway if I were not fishing out of a boat.
That old highway is almost deserted.

He's going in 2 weeks Ray. But that is some solid advice on the old Leeville RD.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
He's going in 2 weeks Ray. But that is some solid advice on the old Leeville RD.
With the light traffic on that road now, it should be a good place.
There is good water all over the place down there.
I fish by boat out of Grand Isle, and have a lot better luck fishing that area for nice Reds on topwater. Lots of dink Trouts there too.
Don't have the big schools of Trophy Sail Cats around the old Leeville road like they do around Grand Isle.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Redfish

My wife talked to the realtor who rents the place. I'm sure it's the company line, but she said "they catch a lot of fish on the beach right in front of the house". I'm an optimist, so I'll take that as gospel. For my surf set up, I'd like to have the option to fish between the first and second bar. Is a spinning reel that holds 200 yards of 20 pound test about right? I know pound for pound it would hold a grey deal more braided line. Is there a distinct advantage or disadvantage in the mono vs. braided battle?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Redfish

Grey deal = great deal. Proofreading from my iPhone is an iffy proposition.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Fishing the beach in GI this time of year would be a crap shoot for speckled trout and crabs. The trout won't start showing up in the surf w/ any consistency until late April when the water temp hits about 70-75 degrees. The trout are pushing toward the main bays now so if you can get to the bridge at night you may score a few. You can probably catch some crabs off the side of the road right now and they probably won't be in the surf till the summer months. Try the bridges of the canals between Elmer's and Fourchon as mentioned above for a better chance at some trout. Use chartreuse plastics &/or live cocahoes on a Carolina rig.
Now if you want some action from the surf on some fish, use a lighter Carolina rig in the surf past the 1st sandbar w/ dead shrimp and you'll probably catch channel mullet, slot drum, slot reds, croaker and white trout. Not big fish, but good for a fish fry. Any of the smaller fish can be used for bait on your big rods for bulls or sharks. Another option is to fish the bridge pilings with a drop shot rig and maybe hang into some big sheepshead. They will also fry up good for meal or two. Those jetties on the west side of the island may be another place to hang into some bulls.
I have plenty experience fishing GI any time of year, so it's worth a shot.
Good luck and post a report while you're down there.