SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default The Beach

Is anyone doing anything on Holly Beach, or any beaches in Cameron Parish? The campervan is getting fixed, and I'm itching to get back out and grab some beach bulls. I was in Galveston on a kids field trip a couple of weeks back, and there was literally, five feet of seaweed on the beach, and I'm not close enough to check and see if that has subsided.

Two more questions. First, what is the largest size red you'd still keep to eat? And, is there any sort of way to avoid the big reds on the beach, and focus on the eating size? I doubt that's possible, but figures I'd ask. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Is anyone doing anything on Holly Beach, or any beaches in Cameron Parish? The campervan is getting fixed, and I'm itching to get back out and grab some beach bulls. I was in Galveston on a kids field trip a couple of weeks back, and there was literally, five feet of seaweed on the beach, and I'm not close enough to check and see if that has subsided.

Two more questions. First, what is the largest size red you'd still keep to eat? And, is there any sort of way to avoid the big reds on the beach, and focus on the eating size? I doubt that's possible, but figures I'd ask. Thanks for any help!
Stay tuned for reports, Duckman and I will be hitting it over the next couple of weeks.

If we don't have a limit yet, we keep the bull red, including several between 45 and 48".

The beach is a bull red deal most of the year with some rat reds occasionally in the mix. The beach is probably the wrong place to target rat reds most days. Some of the guys who target trout at the beach may be able to advise you better, but targeting bull reds (crab or mullet on the bottom) yields mostly bull reds.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Redfish

I'm still relatively new at the whole surf fishing game, but I figured if take a shot in the dark and see if there was a way to target the smaller ones! Last year, I found that a double drop leader with two chunks of mullet was vastly superior to a single drop. I can't wait to catch more, and learn more! I'll be watching for the reports from you fellas.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Late fall and winter is slot red time on the beach.
Warm weather is bull red time.
Contrary to popular belief I think bulls taste great.
When planning a meal think pork chop or chicken not your typical fish recipe.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have caught a few "eating" size Red's around the back side [north] along the rocks west of Holly beach. I have also caught Red's 10 feet from the shore.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

I have had some luck catching smaller reds on the beach with mullet or shrimp. But I usually don't catch much at all. Lol. Best luck was with shrimp under a foam fluorescent orange bobber. The girlfriend was using a white/red plastic bobber not catching anything, she switched to the fluorescent orange and started catching em. West of Holly at the rocks, put your bait off the end of the rocks I be back down there soon myself.

Good luck
Mike
Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Combo of the seaweed (lots) and strong east to west tide made beach unfishable today. Hit the jetties in the boat and caught 6 bull reds and a bull drum in a couple hours. Lack of practice yielded a couple of break-offs.

The bulls are so much faster and stronger now. Our habits got a bit dull with the fall and winter bulls. They pull much harder in the warm water.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Redfish

Any idea when the seaweed will clear out on the beach? I'm tired of that junk!! I may get down there in 7-10 days and am hoping for a seaweed reprieve
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The bulls are so much faster and stronger now. Our habits got a bit dull with the fall and winter bulls. They pull much harder in the warm water.

That's no lie! Those little 16-18 inchers were giving me hell this morning! lol And I caught one just a couple weeks ago bigger than those that felt like I was dragging a log back to the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

The trout are there... but the hweed is bad. getting thicker.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:

22 lb on sun 19 lb on Monday last week still eating on um.

Had baked ,burgers, meat loaf style,dog is feed well with dark meet.

No size is too big.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Combo of the seaweed (lots) and strong east to west tide made beach unfishable today. Hit the jetties in the boat and caught 6 bull reds and a bull drum in a couple hours. Lack of practice yielded a couple of break-offs.

I started useing a 12 foot mono leader with slide egg weight.6/0 circle and half crab. ......deadly.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Redfish

You know what? My only experience eating bulls was when I caught an 18, and 25 pounder on the beach. I was going to throw them back, and the people next to me asked if they could have them. They grilled them, and they were a bit tough for my taste. Maybe I need to take a crack at it myself. I could see them being good in a fish stew or something like that.

Regarding trout at the beach, I've never even accidentally bumped into one. Is there a trick to getting a few on Holly Beach? I'm guessing it would be best if you went down the beach a bit and fished the jetties?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
You know what? My only experience eating bulls was when I caught an 18, and 25 pounder on the beach. I was going to throw them back, and the people next to me asked if they could have them. They grilled them, and they were a bit tough for my taste. Maybe I need to take a crack at it myself. I could see them being good in a fish stew or something like that.

Regarding trout at the beach, I've never even accidentally bumped into one. Is there a trick to getting a few on Holly Beach? I'm guessing it would be best if you went down the beach a bit and fished the jetties?
Bulls are a bit meaty but are good eats when prepared right. I pan seared some fillet pieces then cubed them and used in a sauce piquant last night. Was really yummy. I'll get some pics in the roux forum this evening.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502

I spent the weekend along the coast from Fort Travis Texas to Rutherford Beach. Seaweed was still terrible along the entire length. Redfish won this weekend.

Made one last attempt taking Price Rd at Rockefeller Reserve. A lot of people crabbing late Monday seemed to be doing well. Seen few folks fishing but did not see anyone catching.

There is always next weekend.