SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427
Default Little Interview Help

Going a job interview tomorrow for a Sales Rep job, Oilfield Contractor based. What should I wear, suit and tie or slacks with a nice button up shirt. Any other tips, I really need this to get out of my current line of work which is a Structural Fitter.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Going a job interview tomorrow for a Sales Rep job, Oilfield Contractor based. What should I wear, suit and tie or slacks with a nice button up shirt. Any other tips, I really need this to get out of my current line of work which is a Structural Fitter.
you can't go wrong with a suit and tie, no worries there.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Dress like you were going to sell! I would recommend overdress rather than under. Like Wag said, you can't go wrong that way.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Hold on there all my SC buddies!!!!

Ya'll are quick to tell this guy to wear a suit for an interview to a oilfield contractor interview. I can gurantee he will be the only one there in a suit and as soon as he walks out the door, his paperwork will probably hit the trash can. No oilfield contractor has a formal dress code and he will be so out of place there, they will want to know where the funeral is!

Wear nice slacks, dress shirt, and a sport coat or leather jacket since it is going to be cold. Be confident, don't over do it with small talk just yet, and have a few questions in your head for your interview.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post

Which one? Newpark, Staillion, Danos & Curole, etc..... I know most of them since we use them all.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

The best interview "dress code" advice I've ever gotten....

"Dress for the job you're trying to get."

If you're going to wear a suit everyday then wear a suit to the interview. But I would think slacks, a button down and a nice sport coat or jacket would be the better option. I've met alot of people from alot of different positions in the oilfield, from roustabouts all the way up to VP's of a major oil company and numerous presidents of companies and not once have I seen any of them in a suit.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

FFF is on the money......we sell electrical supplies to many of those guys.
I would suggest google searching the company and ask a few questions about them.
Let them know you did not "just show up for the talk" that you are looking for long term "fit" Not just looking for a good job, but a career.

Take notes........let them see you are for real.

AND if you are from there......let them know you can net work.

NOTHING substitutes relationships in our South Louisiana culture.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

well said......FFF
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Swordfish

Thanks for the advice fellas, FFF the company is Capitol Consultants. The Ad was stated they were looking for a "company sales rep with exp in the welding/fabrication industry", that was it. Its pretty much the only thing I know. I plan on wearing nice slacks with a button down shirt and a black leather jacket. Looking over some of these interview questions figuring out how I'm going to answer them.......Just trying to get prepared.

I need to get out of where I am at, everyone I know who worth a crap who has ever left has done it with no regrets and almost all of them have made a better life for themselves.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Swordfish

Also, from what I gathered from the short phone conversation I had this morning it seems like it going to basically be a liaison type position between the Contract Company and the Company working the contractors. The few people who had this position with other companies I've seen all wore a polo shirt and jeans to work.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Ling

pressed khakis
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,833

Good Luck SS, I hope it works out for 'ya....
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Good Luck SS, I hope it works out for 'ya....
Tanks-a-lot, Ill be one happy coonass when and if I get it!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
pressed khakis
they shrunk, grey is going to have to do.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Ling

It will work brother.......

I would be impressed if HALF the folks I interviewed cared this much about the job.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I've always had luck with wearing nice khakis and polo shirts to interviews, I'd never wear blue jeans to an interview. A resume is always a plus, and if you already sent them one bring an extra just in case. Last successful interview I had the questions I had were answered before I got to ask, So my last question was If I could check out the area and equipment I would be working with? it was a good question because no one else showed as much interest and that was the reason I got the job.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
I've always had luck with wearing nice khakis and polo shirts to interviews, I'd never wear blue jeans to an interview. A resume is always a plus, and if you already sent them one bring an extra just in case. Last successful interview I had the questions I had were answered before I got to ask, So my last question was If I could check out the area and equipment I would be working with? it was a good question because no one else showed as much interest and that was the reason I got the job.

Very good advice, make sure you have copies of your resume and that you bring your own pin and ask for their business card so you can send a thank you email later. Regarding questions, I would have at least two. One that you pull from thier website regarding current activities or projects which shows you have done your homework and another that is more long term in nature that makes it clear you are looking for a long term fit. Try to have a little small talk with them but do not over do it, you should be able to tell very quickly if they are all business or not. Make sure you remember the persons name and exit by calling them by their name.

Never say anything negative about your prior jobs or experience. If they ask you your weaknesses make sure you cover it with a strength. In other words, I am such a work-a-holic that I need to do a better job of maintaining my own work life balance or something like that.

I am the decision maker at my company and these things have helped people get through my interviews. Also be confident and relax. It goes without saying but if they use profanity in the interview or slang, do not go there, keep in professional but do not be offended by anything that they say.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

Have some questions for them at the end and get them answering your questions ....always seems to get em talking to you on normal man to man basis, instead of a formal interview type conversation
Old 12-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Swordfish

Default No Go

Well fellas I didn't get the Job, they were looking for someone with more contacts who had previous sales experience. Oh well, there lose, there's bigger fish to fry and I'm going to keep on keeping on.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Don't let one kill the mood. Start networking here and everywhere else you hang out. I've managed to pull a good deal of business from this site. Thanks to all that have let me help you!

It's all in networking. Keep plugging along!