SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460
Default Trolling Motor

I have a Minn Kota Riptide 80 pound thrust 24volt.
It keeps on stopping when on high speed but only when it is in the water. Never on at the house when I am in a place that I can test everything.
After changing all the connections putting and a new breaker. It still does the same thing.
I have put a voltage meter to the batteries, and all the way to the motor while it was turned on and off. It never loses 24 volts.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

If you're running it out of the water at the house, it may be failing under load. Try a garbage can full of water so the motor is loaded when running.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Its definatly failing under the load. Any ideas if there is something that I can fix or solve. Or do I need to bring it to a Minn Kota repair.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Charge batteries then take them to auto store and have them load tested
Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Good idea. thanks I will try that next. It has been a real pain with all the wind we have been having lately.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,388

sounds like a bad circuit breaker
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
I have a Minn Kota Riptide 80 pound thrust 24volt.
It keeps on stopping when on high speed but only when it is in the water. Never on at the house when I am in a place that I can test everything.
After changing all the connections putting and a new breaker. It still does the same thing.
I have put a voltage meter to the batteries, and all the way to the motor while it was turned on and off. It never loses 24 volts.

What size amp rating is the new breaker? I am not sure what size it should be but maybe you need a higher rated circuit breaker.

When you said that it stops, does it start going again after 10 or 15 seconds? If so, have you tried to run the trolling motor on say 50 or 60 % to see if it keeps running without triping? My trolling motor [12 volt] circuit breaker was doing this and a new CB fixed the problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Well I am not sure exactly what the problem was but it is fixed. Batteries were fine. So I changed all of the connections and cb. Ran it and it stopped cutting out.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Sounds like bad contact, may have fixed it when you disconnected and connected
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

idk but our riptide does the same thing some times. we fixed it last year and when I took it out last week it broke again. really getting fed up with that thing. nothing more aggravating than dropping $150+ on a fishing trip only to get on the water and realize the trolling motor is busted. Really sucks.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
idk but our riptide does the same thing some times. we fixed it last year and when I took it out last week it broke again. really getting fed up with that thing. nothing more aggravating than dropping $150+ on a fishing trip only to get on the water and realize the trolling motor is busted. Really sucks.
yep, it sucks having to anchor at every point to try to catch fish! when you can use a tm and be mobile!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be my circuit breaker was to small. After switching from a 50 amp to the 60 amp that Minn Kota recomends I haven't had the problem since.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 809

Funny you guys are talking about this....Minn Kota riptide 70lb thrust, 24V motor....Just rebuilt from the prop up....everything except the speed switch and top housing...bearings, seals, armature, field, seals...everything!....one trip to Lake Verret...no problem...working great....Last saturday went to the islands...ran on high for about 30 seconds and just quit...welded the male plug to the female plug...Ok, no worries...eliminated and went direct....no circuit breaker trip at all...FRIED....I am going back in to the lower unit this afternoon...If I see what I suspect...It's done! I will swap to a motorguide saltwater and be done with this POS....This has been THE MOST troublesome trolling motor I have ever owned, PERIOD....I loved it when we first bought the boat and did good for first 1.5 years....after that...one problem after another....I'm fed up with it... Getting parts and working on the unit is simple as it gets, and for that, I applaude minn kota, but its all the time...I'm livid over this trolling motor...