SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Texas an Florida already have seasons and Texas state waters extend to 3 leagues already
Nope, Texas is the only state at this time with it's own state Red Snapper season. Florida, last year became non-compliant regarding grouper in a small area of the state.

Hopefully Fl will follow La and go non-compliant this year.

Jimmy
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
The heat got to me.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I didn't get sick on the tuna trip,wasn't 110 degrees with no shade.
Oh yeah......I forgot about that! I was talking bout my wife, wasnt calling you out......
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Florida su***. Worst regulations ever. They will never follow anything we do.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Makes alot of sense doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kYFKLkC7tpE
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 672

I see no reason for the states to rebel and make there own season. Hell those hippies are getting stoned in public in other states and fed wont enforce that
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Quote:
That make me sick! In the last few years I have noticed rigs have been disappearing and never thought about that.

BROWN FIN
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
This is part of the oil field , 1st off it cost oil companies lots of money to keep a platform with zero income up. You still have to keep it in compliance ,.Coast Guard and BSSE regulations. Plus maintain it to a safe structure along with keeping navigation on it working.
I have watched more charter boats kill red snapper here in the gulf than any platform removal. The 1st year it went to 2 snapper per person , I watched and took picture (made a post on here) of them kill about a hundred snapper that floated off. I saw this many of times and still see it today!
When a platform is placed In the Gulf , no where does it state that it is a fish habitat . Once it has ran its time it will be removed !
This video is a rare case because we just removed 6 platforms and very few fish were harmed less than 20.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

W the oil companies want to leave the rigs up not take them down. It is much cheaper to abandon a rig (and even keep it compliant from a safety standpoint) than it is to decommission one.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
W the oil companies want to leave the rigs up not take them down. It is much cheaper to abandon a rig (and even keep it compliant from a safety standpoint) than it is to de commission one.
No that is not in all cases , it costs flight time and up keep to maintain a unused platform,, if it is a field with close by transportation is might be. But the ones we just pulled out needed millions of dollars of sand blasting and consturction to keep in compliance.

If you do not flow a platform for a certain # of years you have to remove it and 80% of oil companies agree and want to have removed
#1 cost money with no income
#2 have to visit so many days a week (on contract )
#3 have to do monthly compliance and Coast Guard
#4 if government finds any thing out of compliance can cost hefty fines in lump sum or each day!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
No that is not in all cases , it costs flight time and up keep to maintain a unused platform,, if it is a field with close by transportation is might be. But the ones we just pulled out needed millions of dollars of sand blasting and consturction to keep in compliance.

If you do not flow a platform for a certain # of years you have to remove it and 80% of oil companies agree and want to have removed
#1 cost money with no income
#2 have to visit so many days a week (on contract )
#3 have to do monthly compliance and Coast Guard
#4 if government finds any thing out of compliance can cost hefty fines in lump sum or each day!
Interesting, my clients would disagree. At the last OTC conference in Houston (your company was there), a big topic of discussion as it has been for the past several years was how much the Companies wanted something to be done about the federally mandated decommission rules for offshore platforms. That being said, like most subjects you know more than the experts.

As far as ocean life is concerned that is no vaild argument to be made that would support taking down the rigs, the rigs are a valuable reef resource in the gulf and taking down the rigs the way they are being taken down wihtout a doubt kills oceanic lifeforms.

As is always the case, when a subject comes up that in some small way crosses something that you do, you immediatley jump on the side that you think benefits you, however in this argument big oil and conservationist (not the ones that live in Washington) are on the same page, rig removal is not good for either party.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

He drinks oil so, how could you or any other person know more than him?! Those conferences don't know what's really happening. LOL!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Hairout

Quote:
Interesting, my clients would disagree. At the last OTC conference in Houston (your company was there), a big topic of discussion as it has been for the past several years was how much the Companies wanted something to be done about the federally mandated decommission rules for offshore platforms. That being said, like most subject you know more than the experts.

As far as ocean life is concerned that is no vaild argument to be made that would support taking down the rigs, the rigs are a valuable reef resource in the gulf and taking down the rigs the way they are being taken down wihtout a doubt kills oceanic lifeforms.

As is always the case, when a subject comes up that in some small way crosses something that you do, you immediatley jump on the side that you think benefits you, however in this argument big oil and conservationist are on the same page, rig removal is not good for either party.

LMAO. Of course they would say that!!! Perfect world (Houston Meetings) vs Real World (gulf of Mexico)
Com on man!! You know better than that !

Every time I went to Houston , I can promise it never happens the way it does in a class room or power point ! NEVER!!!

They are going to tell public exactly what they want to hear!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Kool-aid.gif (49.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

And like I said (find my old post with Picks) I have saw more charter boats kill snapper than from a platform removal !!!

So In real world you should only keep 1st two snapper you catch (no size limit.) this would save hundreds of snapper from floating off and becoming shark and pelican meals
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
LMAO. Of course they would say that!!! Perfect world (Houston Meetings) vs Real World (gulf of Mexico)
Com on man!! You know better than that !

Every time I went to Houston , I can promise it never happens the way it does in a class room or power point ! NEVER!!!

They are going to tell public exactly what they want to hear!!!
How would a rough neck like you possibly know what the cost to decommission v/s keep a rig in the gulf would be for a specific company on a specific rig? I didn't realize you also had an accounting certificate as part of your GED program.

This is a meeting of CEO's, CFO's and CAO's (chief accounting officers) from the top 100 oil companies in the world, not a group of people that don't know what is really going on. This is not a college classroom platform. Not that you would know what goes on in a college classrom, I am just saying....
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
And like I said (find my old post with Picks) I have saw more charter boats kill snapper than from a platform removal !!!

So I real world you should only keep 1st two snapper you catch (no size or limit ) this would save hundreds of snapper from floating off and becoming shark and pelican meals
Most people would agree with you if the point you are trying to make is the current snapper size and overall number regulations makes zero sense and actually harms the fishery. That is why the states are trying to do thier own thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
How would a rough neck like you possibly know what the cost to decommission v/s keep a rig in the gulf would be for a specific company on a specific rig? I didn't realize you also had an accounting certificate as part of your GED program.

This is a meeting of CEO's, CFO's and CAO's (chief accounting officers) from the top 100 oil companies in the world, not a group of people that don't know what is really going on. This is not a college classroom platform. Not that you would know what goes on in a college classrom, I am just saying....
Because the Bosses offshore know the cost and believe me they let us know daily of cost!

We have project bugets !! We know the cost of everything from cook and galley.hand to oil sales per day !
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Bottom line is Oil Companies have agreement and lease ! You place platform at your cost and remove platform at your cost!

If you have an old house that is falling down, do you not tear it down because a owl and sparrows made a nest and home??
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Because the Bosses offshore know the cost and believe me they let us know daily of cost!

We have project bugets !! We know the cost of everything from cook and galley.hand to oil sales per day !
[SIZE=2]Think Maco economics not Micro, big picture total cost not the cost figures shared with you on your operating rig. An abandoned rig (no cooks or people there) total cost compared to the total coast of rig removal and cleanup.

The government might not have intended for rigs to be removed in the manner that they are when the current rules are setup but oil companies with a duty of best interest to their shareholders have found the most cost effective manner (you can't blame them for that) and it may be more catastrophic to the environment than the government had ever planned for. That generally happens when a government over regulates something.
[/SIZE]
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Bottom line is Oil Companies have agreement and lease ! You place platform at your cost and remove platform at your cost!

If you have an old house that is falling down, do you not tear it down because a owl and sparrows made a nest and home??
Where did anyone complain about oil companies not cleaning up after themselves and who has the FAS 143 plug and abandoment/decommsion cost? I think the argument is about the required timing by the government and the methods that are being used as a result.

Geez this is like arguing with a 4th grader.

Nevermind.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Think Maco economics not Micro, big picture total cost not the cost figures shared with you on your operating rig. An abandoned rig (no cooks or people there) total cost compared to the total coast of rig removal and cleanup.

The government might not have intended for rigs to be removed in the manner that they are when the current rules are setup but oil companies with a duty of best interest to their shareholders have found the most cost effective manner (you can't blame them for that) and it may be more catastrophic to the environment than the government had ever planned for. That generally happens when a government over regulates something.
[/SIZE]

In perfect world case !!! One removal we just did cost about 2.3 mill

Work needed cost about 1.8 mill

When a well is made you have money allocated for removal of that platform, a abandon platform is sitting in saltwater !!

Now if you had a 2 pile structure that would cost 10mill to remove it could be worth the delay, but when ot starts rusting up the repair damage will cost in the millions also!

The platform on that vid cost about 500,000 in PNA and about 1.5 to remove , which money has already been allocated for that!