SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Redfish

Cash: 645
Default What do you predict will LA do the same

In case you haven't noticed, times are changing in the outdoors world. Prices, regulations and access are all concerns of hunters and anglers in the Lone Star State, including myself.

There are a few things that have been on my mind lately that have inspired some research. I thought it would be fun to throw a few predictions out there on the future of the Texas outdoors and see what everyone thinks.
#Coastwide 5 trout limit---Within five years, I believe there will be a coastwide speckled trout bag limit of five fish. Surveys show some disturbing trends over the last few years with huge dips in abundance in some bay systems on the Middle Coast. The minimum I believe we'll get is a five fish limit perhaps between San Antonio to Aransas area but if things don't get better statewide is likely. Bad or good I'm betting it happens.
#Widgeon restrictions---Hunters can currently (and as far as I know have always been able to) take a full limit of widgeon. Their numbers are consistently below the long-term average and barely above half of the scaup population. Scaup have been reduced to two birds in the Central Flyway. I suspect we'll see something happen on widgeon unless trends reverse themselves.
#Big Buck Backlash---When you walk into a hunting show and see numerous signs saying "Deer Semen for Sale" you know something isn't right. I have no problem with people breeding deer or even high fences but I do believe the big buck craze has gotten out of hand.
When you can produce 200 class bucks on demand is it still a trophy? And who can afford them? Lawyers? Doctors? Since I believe our current economic situation will fundamentally change the way America spends its money and values its resources there is a very good chance we'll see more respect paid to "8-pointers" and "10-pointers" instead of everyone judging a deer only by its Boone & Crockett score.
Then when someone takes a big buck no matter what kind of fence it was shot behind, it will mean something.
#Castnet Comeback---Two things are happening now in fishing, particularly in freshwater. People are staying closer to home and fishing in their local rivers, bayous and on private ponds and those same people are realizing they don't have to go a long way to have a quality fishing experience.
I have been getting lot more questions about how to use cast nets and live bait in freshwater. I think with the price of fishing lures and many more people starting to pursue crappie and catfish we'll see a cast net renaissance on inland waters.
#No Fishing Zones by Default---The federal government does not have to come in and create official "no fishing zones". By closing down areas they control like they have at various times on Pleasure Island on Sabine Lake and the state is about to do at Rollover Pass they are making "no fishing zones" by default. Expect more to come.
Hopefully an organization will rise up to fight this problem but whom?
Chester Moore, Jr. is The News Outdoors Editor. To contact Chester Moore, e-mail him at cmoore@fishgame.com. You can hear him on the radio Fridays from 6-7 p.m. on Newstalk AM 560 KLVI or online at www.klvi.com.)

Last edited by SULPHITE; 11-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Man after reading this, I'm thirsty!!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Chester Moore is an IDIOT.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Flounder

I don't often reply to objective type reports like this but I'm gonna chime in. Most of this revolves around money. Our TPWD is eat up with it. I fish Sabine and it can be frustrating to catch 14 inch trout cast after cast to release with half of them hooked deep and floating by the time you leave. I think our officials should take a look at Big Lake and see the number of trout it produces year in and year out. It is NOT the recreational fisherman that is depleting these numbers of fish or wildlife. it is the loss of habitat and the heavy demands put up commercially. case and point, the biggest factor in my opinion for the boost in redfish numbers was the banning of netting them commercially. Now we have declining numbers of flounder but it seems like the first thing they throw up is, well it must be the sport fisherman, lets knock the limit to two in November. I also live in the big thicket area and this year they have imposed a 13" or greater spread on bucks. nothing at all about the maturity of the deer just 13" or greater or a spike on at least one side. Rediculous. Now they've opened season on 1yr old bucks. I would love to see someone be appointed to the board for the TPWD that doesn't have so much money that they can hire guided hunts on expensive ranches and go on guided fishing trips at the best time of year. Just someone that loves and respects the outdoors as much as I do. And LA sportsman, beware, it wasn't that long ago we were saying the same thing, that will never happen to us. Oh well, I'm getting off the soapbox now.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

When they start making too many rules, that's when people will quit hunting and fishing. Especially with hunting...if a buck is 200 yards away, it's not that easy to tell what size spread he has or how old he is.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

LDWF has already done a good job of taking a lot of fun out of the sport
Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Flounder

amen to that. he doesn't always turn to you are away from you either. southeast texas is not west texas. i've sat 17hrs. in a deer stand on consecutive weekends and not seen anything. try getting a young person interested in that and finally have one walk out and you can't let them shoot because you're not sure of the spread.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

elaw62 - I couldn't agree more on what you wrote regarding Sabine/Big Lake. My last outing on Sabine if I didn't catch 40 trout I didn't catch one - I think I had two keepers...Why I quit fishing in TX...