SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851
Default Safety Harness for climbers

Anyone have a safety harness they want to get rid of? goin on a lottery hunt in tensas dec 10th, 11th, 12th and am goin to be hunting out of a climber for the first time, thinking that wearing a harness may be a good idea.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Hunter safety system.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I have an industrial harness but thats not what you want. No way to make it quiet.
Please invest the $$$ in a huntwer safety vest or harness.
Talked to a guy at hospital that fell . He was lucky he only broke a leg and collar bone. He said that on the way down he was thinking of the safety harness that came w/ his climber that was sitting on the seat of his truck.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

I have a hunter safety system and wouldn't buy anything else. But they are about $125 and if u not gonna use it much u might not wanna spend the dough. But a safety harness is a must.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Anyone have a safety harness they want to get rid of? goin on a lottery hunt in tensas dec 10th, 11th, 12th and am goin to be hunting out of a climber for the first time, thinking ???? that wearing a harness may be a good idea.
I only have one.....an I use it when climbing.

Get one.......and use it.

Recommend that you practice putting the stand on a tree and do some climbing up and down. This will really help you when you are actually in the woods trying to hunt.

Being in the "hunting" woods is not the time to "learn" how to climb a tree. Tip....most trees are "fat" at the bottom and get smaller as you climb. The bottom platform needs to be slanted upwards when you put it on the tree, so as you climb it will level off. If the bottom platform is slopping downward as you climb...this is not good.

If the climbing stand does not have a rope tying the top to the bottom.....put one on the stand. You will also need a pull rope [~ 25+ feet long] to tie the gun to [unloaded] so you can pull it up once you are in the correct position in the tree.

I think I have an old "safety belt".....which is better than nothing if you need it. A harness is much better.

Good luck.....they got some big ones up there. I hope you don't need any Pepper spray!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Anyone have a safety harness they want to get rid of? goin on a lottery hunt in tensas dec 10th, 11th, 12th and am goin to be hunting out of a climber for the first time, thinking that wearing a harness may be a good idea.
Shawn, just a friendly reminder that the limit on "Democrats" is two big ones and one little one per day. Taking over the limit on "Democrats" in Tensas parish brings a hefty fine and long wait at McDonalds/Popeyes.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,342

Shawn, I probably got one you can borrow if you need to.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,342

don't hunt without one. please
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Get a Muddy Outdoors harness. Much better than Hunter Safety Systems.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Good thing to have, I knew someone who would still be alive today If he would of used one! He left behind a wife and three kids at a young age of 31. I never used a safety harness before his accident. Now I won't go hunting without one. A lot of people think nothing will ever happen to them, but when it happens to someone you know or talked too it becomes more of a reality that accidents do happen and a safety harness is a small cost when compared to the worth of your life.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I've got a plant safety harness you can have if you want to come get it or wanna pay for shipping. Call me if ya want it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 988

Shawn, I have one somewhere, i will look for it ...... i came with my climbing stand(summit viper) it may not be high quality , but you can have it if I find it....
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I fell when hanging a loc-on 4 years ago. 25 feet doesn't seem that high til you fallLast weekend a 14 year old from Bastrop, La went hunting in KS and fell paralyzing him from neck down. Wear a safety belt guys!

And good luck on the hunt, this past week up there was SLOW I hear. Not many deer at all checked out at Crystal, but the 2nd hunt is the one to go on for the big boys.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Thanks guys, I was going to use one one way or another, found someone that is going to let me use theirs so thanks, Gerald I've climbed trees already with it and have both ropes that you mentioned and know about sloping the bottom, don't know how I feel about sitting in a tree all day though, i get bored in a box blind after a few hours, hopefully my iphone will get internet service up their lol
Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Hunter's Halo - check it out!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,571

Quote:
Thanks guys, I was going to use one one way or another, found someone that is going to let me use theirs so thanks, Gerald I've climbed trees already with it and have both ropes that you mentioned and know about sloping the bottom, don't know how I feel about sitting in a tree all day though, i get bored in a box blind after a few hours, hopefully my iphone will get internet service up their lol
download you a couple good game apps before hand!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Dude! they call their internet service up there "PRAY UP" instead of "Dail Up"!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

Friend of a friend fell out of his climber at Cat Island earlier this year and broke his back. Read where another guy fell out of his 10 foot ladder stand, was knocked unconsious and drown in a few inches of water.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October YET? View Post
Get a Muddy Outdoors harness. Much better than Hunter Safety Systems.
x2, that's the best $110 I ever spent. I tried both the Muddy and the HSS and they Muddy was way more comfortable, especially to use for early bow season.