SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Wallpaper Removal

Gotta pull off a bunch of wallpaper and I was wondering what the best technique/tools are?

I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

It depends on the quality of the paper to be removed as to which is the best process. If the walls were "sized" (primed) properly when hanging, it should come off the opposite as it went up. However, that is seldom the case. If the paper is vinyl-faced, wetting it will not work. You will have to gently pull the face of the paper apart from the backing. The backing will stay on the wall. Once you remove the face, you can take a spray bottle or bug sprayer and wet the backing and it will peel off like a parachute. If the paper is not vinyl-faced, you can wet it using the same process and the water will soak through to the backing. DO NOT use one of the many scratching tools provided for wallpaper removal. They actually cut through vinyl-faced paper to let the water get to the backing. What this does is it cuts your drywall more and more the wetter it gets. Then, you have drywall repair to deal with. Once you remove the paper, take a sponge or rag and wipe the glue off the wall. Holler at me if I can assist more. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
It depends on the quality of the paper to be removed as to which is the best process. If the walls were "sized" (primed) properly when hanging, it should come off the opposite as it went up. However, that is seldom the case. If the paper is vinyl-faced, wetting it will not work. You will have to gently pull the face of the paper apart from the backing. The backing will stay on the wall. Once you remove the face, you can take a spray bottle or bug sprayer and wet the backing and it will peel off like a parachute. If the paper is not vinyl-faced, you can wet it using the same process and the water will soak through to the backing. DO NOT use one of the many scratching tools provided for wallpaper removal. They actually cut through vinyl-faced paper to let the water get to the backing. What this does is it cuts your drywall more and more the wetter it gets. Then, you have drywall repair to deal with. Once you remove the paper, take a sponge or rag and wipe the glue off the wall. Holler at me if I can assist more. Good luck.
Sounds like you did this once or twice.........
Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Red Snapper

You da man Salty, I knew you would have the answer.

I have removed a small amount of wallpaper once and used the roller you spoke of. I wasnt very gentle and you can imigane the result.

I have now learned to ask pro's for their opinion.

What do I fill my spray bottle with, soapy water?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
Sounds like you did this once or twice.........
Yeah, once or twice. It can be a pain in the butt when it comes down in pieces the size of your thumb.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
You da man Salty, I knew you would have the answer.

I have removed a small amount of wallpaper once and used the roller you spoke of. I wasnt very gentle and you can imigane the result.

I have now learned to ask pro's for their opinion.

What do I fill my spray bottle with, soapy water?

Thanks.
Luke warm water will be fine. The wetter you get the paper...the easier it peels off. Once you get to the stage where the backing is left...you got it. Just be careful cause you can rip your drywall to shreads.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Red Snapper

I'm doin this as a side job for my parents and my dad asked me for a quote. I told him I needed to get started before I could give him a price; I hope it comes down bigger than 1 inch squares.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
I'm doin this as a side job for my parents and my dad asked me for a quote. I told him I needed to get started before I could give him a price; I hope it comes down bigger than 1 inch squares.
$500 per hour.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 715

the absolute best way to get wallpaper off is to steam it off with a wallpaper steamer. I've tried every other way there is, warm water, paper tigers etc, and after I bought the steamer it comes off like sliced butter everytime with very little damage to the drywall behind it. It makes a mess so have plenty of towels/mop bucket around to dry the walls afterwards. they run around 40 bucks at home depot and even if your only doin this one time, its worth every penny. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...4X-_-100532752