SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Age has arrived: bifocals or reading glasses for tying knots while fishing

Been noticing this for a couple of years, needing to peek over my glasses or take them off to tie knots. I pre-tie leaders before hitting the water, but invariably the need arises to tie a few knots while on the boat, and I'm running out of time peeking over my glasses.

The fonts on my computer are getting bigger and bigger, but my children's school work and textbook fonts remain the same size, and the range of distances where things are still readable is rapidly shrinking.

So what do you older fellows suggest: bifocals or reading glasses? I am concerned that the limited field of view of bifocals may make knot tying a challenging on a boat bobbing up and down in the waves. On the other hand, switching back and forth between two pairs of glasses might not be optimal either. What do y'all say?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Bifocal contacts would be awesome, don't need them yet, but will have some when I do.

Sent
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

I use the mono vision contacts. One for close and one for far. That works pretty good. I hate contacts. Im getting laser done in 2 weeks, then I will only need readers.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,010

Mathgeek: go with progressive bifocals, get them in polarized sunglasses in your prescription. Oakley makes some fantastic Rx-able sunglasses frames that will vastly improve your comfort on the water. The beauty of the progressives, once you adapt, it's more like your natural vision than lined bifocals. Reading glasses are a pain in the behind, on and off constantly through the day. Bifocal contact lenses can be great, but offer some slight compromise in acuity, same thing goes for monovision.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959

X2 on mono vision contacts. I have worn contacts for over 40 years and had to get the mono vision a couple of years ago. Really like them for the ease of seeing up close and far away and not worrying about glasses fogging up or water spray on them.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

For fishing I use the Costa's with the small magnification lens in the lower main lens. Been using them for six years now. It's easier than whipping out my reading glasses every time I want to tie a knot. They're available in 2 magnifications, 1.75 and 2.50.

These are the ones I'm using now:
https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sun...arpoon-readers
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 612

I use a small (about 3/8" dia) plastic stick on magnifier. They are "cupped (like a suction cup) and you just wet 'em and stick 'em on on. You have to hold your glasses in water to slide 'em around until you get 'em where you want them but they will not come off. I think I got them at Walgreens
Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Gilbert View Post
I use a small (about 3/8" dia) plastic stick on magnifier. They are "cupped (like a suction cup) and you just wet 'em and stick 'em on on. You have to hold your glasses in water to slide 'em around until you get 'em where you want them but they will not come off. I think I got them at Walgreens
This sounds like the first thing for me to try: cheap, adjustable, and will work with either my prescription sunglasses or my regular lenses. THanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

I just got the progressive bifocals and they are actually using my costas frames and putt in my perscrition polarized lenses in them.