SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546
Default WWII buffs...

Hey guys, I got the chance to hold my great grandfather's discharge papers from the Army this weekend. It was a very powerful moment in my life. I literally caught chills while I held it and read it! Just to think that the last time he had put his hands on it, he was a very young man. He died when I was 16 and I didn't know the questions to ask when he was talking about the war on his deathbed. Now, I am left with a lot of questions and few answers.

My great grandmother wasn't willing to turn loose of this paper but did let me copy it. I want to know if any of you know of good sites to go to for looking up members of the military. This is something very important to me so, no nonsense please.

His name was Russell E. Traynor and served in Europe in the 179th Infantry, Company C. His papers state that arrived in the European Theather on June 22nd 1943 and departed on May 28 1945. He saw battle in Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Southern France, Rome-Arno and Rhineland. He was a Staff Seargeant at the time of his honorable discharge in June 1945.

If any of you have family that served in any war, I'd encourage you to look into it. If you already have, what direction do I need to go? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

My friend's grandfather was in the 502nd Airborne. He jumped in the night before, we got to interview him and recorded lots of questions about his fighting. He was wounded in the bocage shortly into the campaign. While he was on top of a tank trying to show the commander the enemies direction, he was shot in his arms with wooden bullets. He also fought in the battle of the bulge, and was in bastogne. He was wounded there, he caught a piece of shrapnel in his left shoulder blade.

To see his medals and to shake his hand and know his story is something I won't forget.

As to the family history, I remember my grandfather looks up our history often now that he has computer access and he's retired. He found somewhere that we had a union lieutenant during the civil war in our family. I'll call him and see what he says.

Hang on to those papers, lots of history right there.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

my wifes grandfather just passed away last month at 87 he flew 56missions on a b-17 in ww2.he was at the veterans home in jennings for the last two years.i would love bringing my 2year old grandson see him and the other oldtimers and fish.oh and me and him took first for the fishing rodeo their.you be suprised of the men brought their by their family and forgot about.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

My pawpaw was in radio intelligence over in the phillipines i think.
He spec in breakin Morris code and breaking down other info.
Pretty cool stories and pics.
He wrote a 200 page book on his time over there.
I have thought about taking it to a publisher and puttin it out.
We owe alot to those guys!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankscke123 View Post
my wifes grandfather just passed away last month at 87 he flew 56missions on a b-17 in ww2.he was at the veterans home in jennings for the last two years.i would love bringing my 2year old grandson see him and the other oldtimers and fish.oh and me and him took first for the fishing rodeo their.you be suprised of the men brought their by their family and forgot about.
I believe it. Real sad.