SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Flounder

Cash: 634
Default Rigs

How far are the rigs out from holly beach and is there any good fishing around them? Never tried it and just curious?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

5-10 miles, fishing is good depending on what you want
Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

The most common fish will be Spanish Mackeral, trout, bull reds, tripletail, ling, and sharks.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Be careful it's all in federal waters. But can be some good fishing at times
Old 07-30-2016, 02:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
The most common fish will be Spanish Mackeral, trout, bull reds, tripletail, ling, and sharks.
Lots of Blue Fish and Jack Crevalle too depending on the time of year so bring some string.

If you've never fished platforms before the fishing can be dynamite but it takes a while to figure it out. This is the time of year to fish them though.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Flounder

What's the best way to fish them? Baits, techniques etc?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Flounder

And would my regular rods be sufficient or would I need my big ones?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Do a search on hear and you can find some threads discussing fishing out there for trout. I know I have posted a few reports that go into pretty good detail. As always the best way to learn how to do it is trial and error.

Most guys I know who fish out there use live bait, I don't. When the fish are feeding they will hit a wad of bubble gum if you put it in front of them.

To me, the greatest factor in success is being there when the current is moving at an optimal speed. That is, fast enough for them to be actively feeding but not to the point where you can't get your bait down into the strike zone and keep it there. I have found it next to impossible to predict when the current is going to be optimal. Trying to figure it on tidal movement is useless because of ocean current and subsurface features. The current is moving at 4knots on one platform and a mile and half away its moving at 1knt. If I have faith a rig is holding fish I either wait until it gets right or move to a nearby rig and comeback to it.

I use my normal fishing poles. You need something fairly sensitive because the bite can be subtle. I generally prefer to use my redfish poles when I am fishing deeper than 20ft. If you have decent equipment you shouldn't latch on to anything that will snap you in half. I caught a 50lb ling with a St. Croix Mojo Bass and a Calcutta.

Bring a wide range of jigheads from 1oz to 1/4 depending on water depth. Have enough loose 10 or 15. You are going to get hung up, god knows whats down there. 40 or 50 lb braid works the best for me because I can straiten the hooks I use. Use whatever plastics you usually throw at trout.

If you get into a school of bull reds, Jack's, or Blue fish find another rig.

Get a rig hook, it will save your boat from some bumps.

If you have an IPilot don't use the autopilot or the spotlock around a platform. I guess there is an internal compass or something in it that goes nuts around all that iron. I've been pulled right into the rig.

Keep an eye on the weather. I've been caught in some nasty squalls that just pop up out of nowhere, especially in early summer. Almost been struck by lighting too many times to count. Sirius weather is pretty amazing and has saved me more than once.

The most important advise is be prepared for anything. If you don't have much experience operating offshore just keep in mind its a totally different ballgame than inshore fishing. The speed at which things can go south is impossible to explain. I am pretty intense anytime I am fishing but probably have never cracked smile in the Gulf. It's my favorite kinda fishing but I am less than normal. If you are up for it just make sure you are on top of your $hit. Be decisive and make sure everyone with you is aware of the risk. Don't bring anyone out there that won't instantly follow an order you give them. If you get into trouble all of your lives are at risk, as well as whoever has to save you or search for your bodies.

Didn't mean to get preachy but you never know who's gonna read this and think theres nothing to it. Once you get away from land a ways you start to realize how small you are, if you're not a fool that is. Those rigs look close from the beach but once the view is reversed your perspective changes. Better to have a clue its going to happen before it does. If you can walk and chew bubble gum you can probably make it there and back, catching fish is a different story. I don't mind sharing my experiences with anyone who legitmately wants to become a better fisherman but it would be irresponsible not to mention the risk involved. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

Years ago, in the summer time, I'd been out of S.W. Pass, and on to Tiger Shoal. A thunder cloud came our way and I headed in. As we neared S.W. Pass, a 13-1/2 foot Whaler was going out. At times, could not see boat, or fisherman. How stupid. We found shelter in the pass and rode out the storm. So, be safe.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:03 AM
Flounder

Tha ks for the advice brotha I appreciate it!! We gonna give it a shot.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Do a search on hear and you can find some threads discussing fishing out there for trout. I know I have posted a few reports that go into pretty good detail. As always the best way to learn how to do it is trial and error.

Most guys I know who fish out there use live bait, I don't. When the fish are feeding they will hit a wad of bubble gum if you put it in front of them.

To me, the greatest factor in success is being there when the current is moving at an optimal speed. That is, fast enough for them to be actively feeding but not to the point where you can't get your bait down into the strike zone and keep it there. I have found it next to impossible to predict when the current is going to be optimal. Trying to figure it on tidal movement is useless because of ocean current and subsurface features. The current is moving at 4knots on one platform and a mile and half away its moving at 1knt. If I have faith a rig is holding fish I either wait until it gets right or move to a nearby rig and comeback to it.

I use my normal fishing poles. You need something fairly sensitive because the bite can be subtle. I generally prefer to use my redfish poles when I am fishing deeper than 20ft. If you have decent equipment you shouldn't latch on to anything that will snap you in half. I caught a 50lb ling with a St. Croix Mojo Bass and a Calcutta.

Bring a wide range of jigheads from 1oz to 1/4 depending on water depth. Have enough loose 10 or 15. You are going to get hung up, god knows whats down there. 40 or 50 lb braid works the best for me because I can straiten the hooks I use. Use whatever plastics you usually throw at trout.

If you get into a school of bull reds, Jack's, or Blue fish find another rig.

Get a rig hook, it will save your boat from some bumps.

If you have an IPilot don't use the autopilot or the spotlock around a platform. I guess there is an internal compass or something in it that goes nuts around all that iron. I've been pulled right into the rig.

Keep an eye on the weather. I've been caught in some nasty squalls that just pop up out of nowhere, especially in early summer. Almost been struck by lighting too many times to count. Sirius weather is pretty amazing and has saved me more than once.

The most important advise is be prepared for anything. If you don't have much experience operating offshore just keep in mind its a totally different ballgame than inshore fishing. The speed at which things can go south is impossible to explain. I am pretty intense anytime I am fishing but probably have never cracked smile in the Gulf. It's my favorite kinda fishing but I am less than normal. If you are up for it just make sure you are on top of your $hit. Be decisive and make sure everyone with you is aware of the risk. Don't bring anyone out there that won't instantly follow an order you give them. If you get into trouble all of your lives are at risk, as well as whoever has to save you or search for your bodies.

Didn't mean to get preachy but you never know who's gonna read this and think theres nothing to it. Once you get away from land a ways you start to realize how small you are, if you're not a fool that is. Those rigs look close from the beach but once the view is reversed your perspective changes. Better to have a clue its going to happen before it does. If you can walk and chew bubble gum you can probably make it there and back, catching fish is a different story. I don't mind sharing my experiences with anyone who legitmately wants to become a better fisherman but it would be irresponsible not to mention the risk involved. Good luck.

Very good advice. Heed his warnings. Make sure you have sufficient fuel and oil. You will use more than you think in those offshore swells.

Be prepared to search for the fish. Sometimes they are right against the rig legs, under the rig, on one leg but not the other, on one side of a leg but not on the other. Sometimes they are 10-25 yards off the rig. Sometimes they are on the bottom and other times suspended. Sometimes up current, sometimes down current. Damn things are so unpredictable.

Bring lots and lots of hooks, jig heads. If you have 25, buy 25 more.

Have a net handy. Also, have a big spinning rod at the ready with a big artificial mullet or other swim bait. You could spot a cobia and you don't want to throw your 10 lb test line on a trout rod at that thing!

Also if you are in federal waters I think you need to have an air bladder deflater tool and a hook-out onboard?

Don't anchor if you want to bring your expensive anchor home with you! There are spools of cable, metal gangplanks, barrels, pipe, toolboxes and all sorts of $hit on the bottom.

If you go East of the Cameron jetties it is about 10 miles to the rigs, which are about 3-4 miles off the beach. There's are several rigs to the east that are 5-7 miles offshore -- these are the 65,66,67 fields. Deeper water there than at the closer rigs and at times have a ton of pompano( they love free lined live shrimp) Head west towards Texas and its about the same distance although some rigs are 12-14 miles away. Lots more rigs off of Johnsons Bayou than east of Cameron.

Expect to get cut off (often) by toothy Spanish mackerel. Also sharks. Make sure you know the rules on keeping sharks if you plan to keep any.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewiseman View Post
Years ago, in the summer time, I'd been out of S.W. Pass, and on to Tiger Shoal. A thunder cloud came our way and I headed in. As we neared S.W. Pass, a 13-1/2 foot Whaler was going out. At times, could not see boat, or fisherman. How stupid. We found shelter in the pass and rode out the storm. So, be safe.
Sounds like Dinks boat back in the day.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post

Also if you are in federal waters I think you need to have an air bladder deflater tool and a hook-out onboard?
Not required any longer. I believe they have proven that punching a hole in the fish is more detrimental to the fish.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 AM
Flounder

Thanks guys yall give some awesome advice