SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
as mentioned, if its in a high traffic area, what can you do but deal with it, but ....

if its like has happened to me and you have a few spots you like and jerkwads always want to plow up mud and oysters to pass between you and the 100 yards of water between you and the bank when there is the whole frickin lake and a 1/4 mile wide canal they can pass to get where they are going "without" disrupting your spot, well I "cured" a few of these weekend warriors this way.

I went by a construction site and collected all the leftover cut off 2x4's they were throwing out averaging about 2ft long then I bought 50ft of cheap 1/4" rope, made two 10lbs cement anchors with small buckets then I tied the rope to make a simple wooden chain barrier and set it out along my spot and watched the fun as several messed their pants trying to avoid it and a few had it wrapped up in their props but I simply repaired any broken knots after they left. they don't seam to want to pass within 100 yards distance of land or me anymore because they learned there are "objects" there.

its amazing how they didn't seam to care about tearing up lower units plowing mud and oysters to see what I was catching but running into the "floating barrier" taught them to pass elsewhere and since its set with cement anchors, its not connected to me or my boat so no confrontation, just lots of fun and laughs as they get what they deserve. if I ever stop fishing that spot for good then I will simply move the barrier or pick it up but it usually last a year or so.

I never have trouble during the week, its just the weekend warriors that lack any morals or common sense and decency
You are either

A. Lying
B. Trolling
C. Under the age of 15
D. Nevermind it's not a nice thing to say

It's a fishing spot. No fish is worth causing harm to someone else or their equipment
Old 07-19-2016, 06:45 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Its crazy....

On Saturdays I just try and laugh it off because you just cant help those people who have zero clue...

If your on the east bank and its Saturday you are getting ran over because most that launch at Heberts know 1 thing ...Weirs... and its a straight shot there and don't matter who is in the way

Ship Channel is bad also most don't run in the center of the channel they like to run 20 feet off the bank and if your anchored out fishing they will pass right next to you and wave like your friends.. ( Good part about that is on the channel it don't mess the bite up as much as it does in the lake in shallow waters)

I had a guide boat two Saturdays ago troll right over the fish we were catching ...I told my guys to keep casting in his boat.... He then anchored dead behind me while my guys are throwing at him....

After 20-30 lead heads against his boat he moved about 100 feet over.... His customers would not even look our way because they new he was a dumbazz for doing that... we were catching fish one after another and he was the only one that would throw our direction ...
his customers would not even throw because they new our lines would get crossed..
Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

It's the same around here in the SE. I just don't fish the "common" spots. It's made me a better fisherman and when the weather screws up the areas that all the yahoos fish I still have back up places most don't know.

I do look forward to duck season and school starting. It gets the majority off the coast. Not sure why but these guys seem to fish for 3 months of the year then they park those 80k rigs until May. I fish pretty much all year.

The only thing worse than the "weekend warriors" are the guides who own the water. (Present company excluded). Ive actually heard some of them brag about pushing people off oyster beds or spots by the islands because they belive it is their right since it's how they make a living. If anyone should know better and have respect it's a professional.

The solution for me has been to avoid the obvious spots and the weekends with the most traffic. If ya can't hang with that sell your sled and plant petunias.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Wow...this is sad. Road rage has moved to fishing. Granted, I don't ever remember being in a situation like some of you describe. But come on people...we're talking about FISHING here! FISHING. And some are resorting to sabotage? It's hard to pinpoint why people these days seem to "loose it" so easily, wether on the highway or in a boat. Don't we have alot more to worry about these days than if some idiot passed too close in their boat? I could understand it a bit more if this happens to guides, where fishing is their livelihood. I know it's frustrating, but I think everyone needs to relax a bit, before we hear stories of gunfire on our waters. Don't mean to offend anyone here...JMHO.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Its crazy....

On Saturdays I just try and laugh it off because you just cant help those people who have zero clue...

If your on the east bank and its Saturday you are getting ran over because most that launch at Heberts know 1 thing ...Weirs... and its a straight shot there and don't matter who is in the way

Ship Channel is bad also most don't run in the center of the channel they like to run 20 feet off the bank and if your anchored out fishing they will pass right next to you and wave like your friends.. ( Good part about that is on the channel it don't mess the bite up as much as it does in the lake in shallow waters)

I had a guide boat two Saturdays ago troll right over the fish we were catching ...I told my guys to keep casting in his boat.... He then anchored dead behind me while my guys are throwing at him....

After 20-30 lead heads against his boat he moved about 100 feet over.... His customers would not even look our way because they new he was a dumbazz for doing that... we were catching fish one after another and he was the only one that would throw our direction ...
his customers would not even throw because they new our lines would get crossed..

If I was his customer, I'd ask for my money back and I'd be HOT
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
Wow...this is sad. Road rage has moved to fishing. Granted, I don't ever remember being in a situation like some of you describe. But come on people...we're talking about FISHING here! FISHING. And some are resorting to sabotage? It's hard to pinpoint why people these days seem to "loose it" so easily, wether on the highway or in a boat. Don't we have alot more to worry about these days than if some idiot passed too close in their boat? I could understand it a bit more if this happens to guides, where fishing is their livelihood. I know it's frustrating, but I think everyone needs to relax a bit, before we hear stories of gunfire on our waters. Don't mean to offend anyone here...JMHO.

I understand what you are saying, but people are so disrespectful sometimes that it would drive anyone nuts!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

This stuff happens everywhere bros. Most folks don't even know they're doing anything wrong. Not saying they're too stupid to know, but maybe too stupid to care. Approach them nicely and explain to them whatever they did wrong if it warrants it. Same thing with launching boats. Had to ask some older guys to pull up after they loaded their boat in the middle of a 2 stall ramp and wanted to do everything but clean fish before pulling up out of the way. No big deal, just explained to them that I, and the other boats behind me were probably in a hurry to get to a weigh in (Big Bass Splash, Toledo Bend) and asked very nicely if they minded pulling up a little. They didn't even know a 1000+ boat tournament was going on, and I explained how it worked with the hourly weigh-ins etc. I could have talked with those old men for hours but didn't have time. They even offered to give me their shiners lol. I've always been taught to respect my elders, and at my age most people on the water can be classified as that. As far as jet skiers and tubers go, they mostly all deserve a super spook sammich. Just don't let people ruin your day. A PO'd attitude will directly effect your fishing.

Disclaimer - Most boats that do these things that I see on Toledo are bay boats and are from South of I-10. Just sayin
Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Flounder

Cash: 656

If you exhibit courtesy to me, I'll let you tie up to my boat to catch fish. By that I mean stopping 200 yds away and trolling motoring in and asking me if it's okay to get close, but running in and spooking the school will only pee me off. I had a guy the other day come between me and bank (40' away) and run over the school I was fishing. When I complained he retorted "you don't own the water". Funny, his wife was more embarrassed for the incident than he was. They should make it a law that you have to take a courtesy course to fish. LOL
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
This stuff happens everywhere bros. Most folks don't even know they're doing anything wrong. Not saying they're too stupid to know, but maybe too stupid to care. Approach them nicely and explain to them whatever they did wrong if it warrants it. Same thing with launching boats. Had to ask some older guys to pull up after they loaded their boat in the middle of a 2 stall ramp and wanted to do everything but clean fish before pulling up out of the way. No big deal, just explained to them that I, and the other boats behind me were probably in a hurry to get to a weigh in (Big Bass Splash, Toledo Bend) and asked very nicely if they minded pulling up a little. They didn't even know a 1000+ boat tournament was going on, and I explained how it worked with the hourly weigh-ins etc. I could have talked with those old men for hours but didn't have time. They even offered to give me their shiners lol. I've always been taught to respect my elders, and at my age most people on the water can be classified as that. As far as jet skiers and tubers go, they mostly all deserve a super spook sammich. Just don't let people ruin your day. A PO'd attitude will directly effect your fishing.

Disclaimer - Most boats that do these things that I see on Toledo are bay boats and are from South of I-10. Just sayin
Been fishing Toledo a good bit this year and it is pretty bad, and most are the bay boats. I do agree that some people just don't know any better. Some are just learning and never had anyone to teach them.

In the words of the greatest cooler in the business
"be nice until its time to not be nice"
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

I don't fish for a living, or every day... AHHHHH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WKND WARRIOR.jpg (59.1 KB, 348 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 618

How about this. Spend a pile of money building boathouse and dock, turn on the flood lights that spin the electric meter like three window units on an old trailer house, go out to fish and some "A" hole has pulled up into the light and anchored so close he his hitting the dock with his lead head. I understand the water belongs to everyone, but when someone is fishing on their pier, show some respect.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
as mentioned, if its in a high traffic area, what can you do but deal with it, but ....

if its like has happened to me and you have a few spots you like and jerkwads always want to plow up mud and oysters to pass between you and the 100 yards of water between you and the bank when there is the whole frickin lake and a 1/4 mile wide canal they can pass to get where they are going "without" disrupting your spot, well I "cured" a few of these weekend warriors this way.

I went by a construction site and collected all the leftover cut off 2x4's they were throwing out averaging about 2ft long then I bought 50ft of cheap 1/4" rope, made two 10lbs cement anchors with small buckets then I tied the rope to make a simple wooden chain barrier and set it out along my spot and watched the fun as several messed their pants trying to avoid it and a few had it wrapped up in their props but I simply repaired any broken knots after they left. they don't seam to want to pass within 100 yards distance of land or me anymore because they learned there are "objects" there.

its amazing how they didn't seam to care about tearing up lower units plowing mud and oysters to see what I was catching but running into the "floating barrier" taught them to pass elsewhere and since its set with cement anchors, its not connected to me or my boat so no confrontation, just lots of fun and laughs as they get what they deserve. if I ever stop fishing that spot for good then I will simply move the barrier or pick it up but it usually last a year or so.

I never have trouble during the week, its just the weekend warriors that lack any morals or common sense and decency

you have posted some dumb $h!t in the past but this has to be the best, hopefully some one who's rig got damaged reads this post and whips your @$$, what in the world makes you think this or any spot is "yours" just cause you fish it often you sound like you still living with momma and have too much time on your hands to intentionally set out to sabotage someone's gear, d@m the weekend warrior cause he has to work 5 or 6 days a week and only can get on the water 1 or 2 days so they all must be bad then, you will get what you deserve even if this is all made up lies
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

Good thread. There is one every year and guys get to vent a little. Therapy, I guess. Saturdays on Big Lake are tough in the summer. Lots of folks out there. It can be very frustrating. It would help to keep in mind that your spot, really isn't your spot. For the most part, if someone is there before you, then, it's his spot, for the moment, at least. This estuary is loaded with fish. You can find them somewhere else. I'm disappointed too when someone is where I want to be, but it pushes me out of my comfort zone a little and makes me get creative. Fish are biting all over, right now. Back off. Ease out. Try a new spot. It can be very rewarding.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

lol, yea, idiots are getting worse every year.

prettysoon they are just gonna wait at the landing and loadup in your boat.

however, i'd rather put up with them vs the potlickers who post up pics and name fishing spots all the time. there are several on here that are real bad about that.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Its crazy....

Major Props to you for being able to laugh it off after having to deal with it on a regular basis- i guess that is the only way to keep your sanity with some of the stupidity that goes on. My favorite scenario is the one you described- fishing the channel and having a boat pass within 20 yards of you and everyone waves. But to have a fellow guide do that is unreal.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Ok, I can understand the ship channel, but how about confined spaces like the Texaco cut or salt ditch for example?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
It's the same around here in the SE. I just don't fish the "common" spots. It's made me a better fisherman and when the weather screws up the areas that all the yahoos fish I still have back up places most don't know.

I do look forward to duck season and school starting. It gets the majority off the coast. Not sure why but these guys seem to fish for 3 months of the year then they park those 80k rigs until May. I fish pretty much all year.

The only thing worse than the "weekend warriors" are the guides who own the water. (Present company excluded). Ive actually heard some of them brag about pushing people off oyster beds or spots by the islands because they belive it is their right since it's how they make a living. If anyone should know better and have respect it's a professional.

The solution for me has been to avoid the obvious spots and the weekends with the most traffic. If ya can't hang with that sell your sled and plant petunias.
This. Duck season is a God-send. I pray the limits stay at six, guys have at least one good hunt the first week to keep them going and those yahoos keep getting on TV and painting faces.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
This. Duck season is a God-send. I pray the limits stay at six, guys have at least one good hunt the first week to keep them going and those yahoos keep getting on TV and painting faces.
I'm prayin harder for 30 days and 3 ducks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Flounder

Cash: 678

A few years ago, being new to saltwater fishing, I pulled up hard on some birds. 1 boat got there about the same time as I did and he cautioned me to slow down and not spook the school. It embarrassed me so much that it will never happen again. I was ignorant to the fact that they would spook. I have also run too close to a couple of boats before. Never again. I pay closer attention now.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin View Post
Ok, I can understand the ship channel, but how about confined spaces like the Texaco cut or salt ditch for example?
Salt ditch is like the channel its a boat right a way...

I rather someone run wide open than slow down and make a bigger wake like most do..

when I pass people in the saltditch I try to idle pass them with out making a wake if possible