SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Also, if you are looking for deep water (> 100'), you are in the wrong area of the state or you need a bigger boat w/ more range on it. At 58 miles south of the coast, you are in 84-90' of water. Do not get overly hopeful on blue water species. I go out a catch red/mangrove snapper, the occasional ling, and we let the kids play around with the sharks. I will not keep King Mackeral so we do not target them, but they are plentiful.

I will go out, do the snapper thing, then head in looking for ling and tripletail. The ling are usually closer to the 10-15 mile rigs in 20-30' of water.
What do you normally catch tripletail on? I threw the whole tackle box at some a while back and they would not even look at it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
If you are in Grand Chenier, I would not travel (by road) all the way back to launch in FWC. In my opinion, it is not worth it, I would just launch at the park and head south from there. You also have more of a chance of cast netting for bait there than you do at FWC.

I made several snaper/blue water trips last year and have post on here. Here is one:
Offshore Fishing Discussion: The first snapper in the new boat! - SaltyCajun.com

If you are coming from the west I agree, but if you are coming from the east I don't get why people don't like to travel down the gravel road. Used to do it all the time?

Anyway, give me a call tomorrow, them dam pigs are tearing the hell up out of the farm roads again.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OFwlKlr View Post
If you are coming from the west I agree, but if you are coming from the east I don't get why people don't like to travel down the gravel road. Used to do it all the time?

Anyway, give me a call tomorrow, them dam pigs are tearing the hell up out of the farm roads again.
Welcome to the world of pig hunting Chuck!!!! lol!
I also think the FWC road is the way to go when coming from our end. The launch in ICY is much easier to get to and in better shape, but you have to cross the bay to get to the Gulf. Last year the road was in good shape and it was only gravel from Hwy 82 to just pass the curve at the old Columbia Gulf plant. After that, it has been black topped the whole way. Now, since the hurricanes, the old slip has silted in, but you can still launch some good size boats there as long as you know how to operate them! I have seen some idiots down there!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
What do you normally catch tripletail on? I threw the whole tackle box at some a while back and they would not even look at it.
Hah! - I could tell ya'..........then I would have to kill ya'!!!!!!! Guess you will have to come one day, keep a blindfold on, and just reel when I hand you the rod!

Just yankin' your chain! Think of it as a school of tuna that are hook shy! Flurocarbon leader, weightless DOA or Gulp in dark colors!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Man that's a tough offshore trip over yall's way...my buddy I have been on several trips out of cypermort point with my buddy he's a Landry...his uncle is Don Landry and his dad is Tracy Landry y'all may know Don...but it's a 70+ mile trip out and it's a long one....I love it though...it ain't like Venice where we literally put a limit of snapper in the boat at the first rig out of south pass usually...to be honest you might save money driving to Venice and making the run down the river and a couple miles out and on a calm day you'll find yourself in 150+ feet of water not much further...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:
Hah! - I could tell ya'..........then I would have to kill ya'!!!!!!! Guess you will have to come one day, keep a blindfold on, and just reel when I hand you the rod!

Just yankin' your chain! Think of it as a school of tuna that are hook shy! Flurocarbon leader, weightless DOA or Gulp in dark colors!
I agree we throw a weightless doa with a cork at em in the sound works good..except alot of the time they try to eat the Dam cork...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
I agree we throw a weightless doa with a cork at em in the sound works good..except alot of the time they try to eat the Dam cork...
yep, get rid of that cork and go to Flurocarbon! They hate that dark shrimp!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 919

born and raised in Grand cheniere. very good fishing in oil city. Begins about 18 miles out of gc runs out with quite a few rigs. Cal rock ( blk 118 is about 40 miles out) very good fishing. Lot of structure there to fish. about 60 feet of water.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Cal. Rock is not what it used to be. It has died out in mid Summer. Useta be a good place in July/Aug.