SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post
the good news continues! Wyatt was turned down to 5 breaths per minute on the cpap today. He is one weaning away from being off the ventilator support all together. Wyatt will still receive pressure support but will no longer get any artificial breaths from the vent. This is a big deal because the ventilator is pretty hard on wyatt's lungs so the less it does for him the better he will recover and improve. I am blown away how quickly wyatt seems to be improving now that he is on full feeds and supplements. Thanks again everyone for keeping up with us and supporting us with your thoughts and prayers.

fantastic news lucas that wyatt is a fighter and he got this. Prayers sent.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Update on Wyatt:

Sorry it has been a few days since my last update but I had to work all weekend and we were having internet issues here. Wyatt went off of breath support sometime Saturday and lasted without support until yesterday evening. Wyatt starting having some apnea(not breathing) and brady episodes(slowing of heart rate) so the doctors decided to bump him back to ten breaths a minute on the vent to see if that helped. Wyatt has responded some to the change, by having far fewer episodes but there are still a few here and there. The doctors assure us that babies at Wyatt's gestational age seem to start having these episodes more often for some unexplained reason. I am hoping that Wyatt was just getting tired of breathing on his own and that the additional vent support will give him the break he needs. Everything else is going good so this is just a minor set back. I will be updating on my regular schedule again and hope that Wyatt continues to improve the way he has been for the last few weeks.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

prayers sent
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,492

Thanks for the update Lucas.

Wyatt just wanted to show ya'll he is still in charge. He's fine!

EVO
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 832

Praying specifically for Wyatt's lung strength....
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Blue Marlin

Prayers sent lucas
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Keeping you guys in my thoughts still! Sounds like he's doing great!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
King Mackeral

Wyatt made it until night before last on the CPAP but, had to be re-intubated. The blood gases were getting really bad indicating Wyatt's lungs weren't doing what they were supposed to. The doctors while disappointed said this is not the end of the world and probably not all that unexpected. Wyatt having been born so premature has major lung development issues and will probably do this back and forth thing for a while. That's all the bad news now on to the good stuff. I am excited to say that Wyatt is weighing in at a chunky 2 lbs 6 oz! That means that he has gained 1 pound 2 ounces since he was born. Now that he is over 1000 grams he gets weighed and bathed every night so we can get updates daily on his gain. Lastly, I made the giant leap of faith yesterday and asked the doctor if it was safe to assume that Wyatt was going to go home one day. This is huge because in the NICU doctors don't let you have any false sense of hope. I am relieved to say that the doctor told me, barring any outside source of detriment i.e. an infection, Wyatt will come home with us! The doctor made sure to let me know that with his lung issues that he will not come home early and that he will probably stay in the hospital past his due date, but I don't care. So, for this week we are going to be thankful for the journey we have made so far and the outcomes we have received and pray for Wyatt to have the strength and tenacity to get back off the ventilator and try CPAP for a third time.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
King Mackeral

Almost forgot some new pics. As you can see wyatt is starting to get some chubby baby cheeks and baby arms!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323350982.546898.jpg (26.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323351017.180589.jpg (29.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Blue Marlin

Well, I hate to hear of his setbacks but, from what you are saying, this is just a minor bump in the road. I'm glad to hear that he is putting on weight and will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure he'll be just fine and be home in Mom and Dad's loving arms someday soon!

Thanks for the update!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
well, i hate to hear of his setbacks but, from what you are saying, this is just a minor bump in the road. I'm glad to hear that he is putting on weight and will continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure he'll be just fine and be home in mom and dad's loving arms someday soon!

Thanks for the update!

x1000 prayers sent lucas
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

What a stud! tahnks for the update. Still keeping yall in our prayers. God bless
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Lucas, thanks for the update, and I must admit, the first thing I do when I come to SC everyday is look for his update. I was on the NICU incubator transport team for many years and trust me when I say this: Wyatt got this!

Everything that he is going through at this point (intubation/poor blood gases) is completely normal. These little babies go through "peaks & valleys" while they continue to grow, he just needs a little more time to have more surface area develope so his lung tissue can support his body growth. Believe it or not, you should look at the re-intubation as a positive sign that his body is growing faster than his lungs can support. He will be home soon, and he will just need some extra time to have the baby clothes fit him! Stay positive!

I also want to remind you and mom that somehow, those babies know when the parents are around. I truly believe they "sense" it, somehow. I transported several that went down the tubes in the aircraft, and made me sweat, but as soon as we reunited them w/ momma/daddy - they stabilized. Again, stay positive!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Great news buddy!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Lucas,

I don't know you and just found this thread. I read of your notes on Wyatt. He really is a fighter! The best thing that ever happened to me is the day my kids were born, I can tell the birth of your son has had the same effect on you. Funny how I went from being pretty damn self-centered to caring so much about my little ones. I don't think guys without kids can understand it till they have some of their own...I know I didn't.

Thank God for those fine folks that are taking care of your son. Doctors and nurses amaze me with their knowledge and whenever our family has a health issue I am always grateful that they traveled the path they did to become the experts that they are.

By the way, 50 years ago I was born 2 pounds 14 ounces and was in the hospital for 2 months before coming home.

I said a little prayer for Wyatt, so maybe the extra help will give him a little boost tonight!

Dan
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM
King Mackeral

Thanks for taking the time to read and pray Dan. You're right my perspective has changed completely since Wyatt was born.

On another note:
Wyatt seems to be struggling with his gas exchange this time since he has been re-intubated. Wyatt's blood gases have not improved after a couple days back on the ventilator. I am not sure why at this point but I am hoping to get answers today. Everything else is good so we have that going for us.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Blue Marlin

I'm still praying for you guys. I hate to hear of the minor setback but, I hope you can find it within yourself to keep yourself positive in attitude. I still believe your positive attitude is felt by your courageous little man.

May the Good Lord be with you and Mom to guide you and may He place his healing hands on Wyatt.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Still keeping your family in our prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Blue Marlin

Prayers being sent daily lucas for baby wyatt
Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
King Mackeral

Alright, I got some answers about Wyatt's gas exchange and the reasons why it was not as good as the last time he was re-intubated. Apparently, the doctors are trying a little different method of ventilation, while this method is slower at gas exchange studies show that the re-inflation of his lungs should last longer. This new technique is a testament to Wyatt's body having the ability to correct some of the effects caused by this slow gas exchange. It is sort of good news that the doctors are trying this method. The doctors have started diuretics on Wyatt to relieve some of the fluid that they believe has built up in the lungs. They are hoping with this treatment coupled with the new method of ventilation they will be able to try cpap again soon. Wyatt seems to be reacting well to the drugs so far so keep your fingers crossed. Everything else is going good we found out Wednesday that wyatt's first eye exam showed no damage to his retinas. I am sorry I went into major detail on this update but I am planning on going back one day and reading all these updates as a reminder and I want to remember the technical stuff too. Here are a few pics of Wyatt from this morning. As always, thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323545756.219269.jpg (29.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323545813.013930.jpg (30.8 KB, 167 views)