SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Top Dawg, what's the chance of having ducks if I don't flood it at all?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Not good. But u will have geese. If you flood just one cut they get smart to that pretty quick. If you do flood you don't want more than a couple inches of water if you can help it.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

We plant 20 acres of soybeans an flood every year.. 20 acres of flooded corn and 20 acres of millet and milo.. Our water depth is 12- 13 inches... The beans are just as good as any of the crops... We see more mallards on the beans and corn... More widgeon pintails as well.... Now
We don't harvest our crops either tho.
Good luck....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Call the prior lessee and ask him how it was. You didn't pay ur money yet did u?
East or west of LA? What's the name of the farm?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063
Default beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
We plant 20 acres of soybeans an flood every year.. 20 acres of flooded corn and 20 acres of millet and milo.. Our water depth is 12- 13 inches... The beans are just as good as any of the crops... We see more mallards on the beans and corn... More widgeon pintails as well.... Now
We don't harvest our crops either tho.
Good luck....
thought you had to attempt to harvest?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

[QUOTE=bluewing;395539]thought you had to attempt to harvest?

You can cut row around levy or thru.. We usually cut thru the middle for landing
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

got ya. planted milo and flooded for crawfish this year and the warden told me once i put the crawfish boat in it and knocked some of the milo down it would be illegal to hunt.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

thats how my duck blind was this year and it was great during the first split.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I guided in rice and bean fields south of Lake Arthur for over 15 years. We always had a flooded side and a dry side. Just brush blind very low so it blends in. Pickup your decoys every day. You will kill lots of ducks and geese if you are in a good area. You do not need alot of goose decoys either, just a few good full body decoys. Who is the land owner. We hunt just north of the Lyons farm alittle. Teal season is pretty good. But really no big ducks there. They do have some geese thou. Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Papap,

Are you saying you don't think there will be any big ducks? I don't know the farmer, I paid a deposit to Stack Barrel hunting for the blind. It was the last one he had. The farm is about 8 miles due south of Jennings going toward Lake Arthur. Do you think this will be a productive area? I don't think I want just teal and geese, I'd like to kill a few big ducks too. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Tripletail

Slidellkid. Is it west or east of Highway 26. We are about that far south and about 4 miles west I guess. It is not even worth the water to flood. Not wanting to discourage you. Wish I knew better where the blind was. I could give you better info.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Tripletail

Who is Stacked Barrel Hunting. Have never heard of them. I've live in or around LA all my life.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

If u don't want just geese maybe I can take it off your hands
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

at little better info on location would be good. the kind of ducks you get depends on the year (weather, flight, weather up north, amount of water in the area, etc..) like i said earlier, we had a great year on ducks, lots of big ducks, but thats not usually the case. but there are certain farms around there consistantly do well with big ducks

papap, which farm do you hunt? you off of lyons rd?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Tripletail

I would try getting with the guy that had it before. There has to be a reason he gave it up. Good duck blinds do not come around very often.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Papap,

Are you saying you don't think there will be any big ducks? I don't know the farmer, I paid a deposit to Stack Barrel hunting for the blind. It was the last one he had. The farm is about 8 miles due south of Jennings going toward Lake Arthur. Do you think this will be a productive area? I don't think I want just teal and geese, I'd like to kill a few big ducks too. Let me know what you think.
You honestly probably won't kill that many big ducks. The most success I have seen on ducks in a field is either it butts up to a marsh or the entire farm is flooded and it's holding birds. Sorry to rain on your parade but if you wanna kill ducks, get a blind in the marsh
Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Red Snapper

papap,

It is right off of 26 to the east. The blind can actually be seen from 26 as it's about 400 yards out into the field. The blind is directly behind a white house that is being will be used as the camp. The house must be an older home that is no longer used by the farmer or whoever he purchased the land from. I realize this may not be a crackerjack blind but two years ago I leased a blind in Pine Island and never fired a shot at a duck. I really hate to duplicate that waste of money. Please just shoot me straight on this. I want to be able to take my little boy duck hunting and that is why I orginally leased the blind in Pine Island two years ago. The hunting was so poor at my Pine Island blind that I dared not take him for fear of him being bored and hating hunting.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Red Snapper

The guy that leased the blind to me is named Reggie. He seemed like a straight up fellow. He said he hunts in Pine Island and leases about 28,000 acres from farmers and has 31 duck blinds that he leases.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Tripletail

I think I know the white house, but that is only 3 or 4 miles south of jenning on the left. Lots of geese there. Not sure about ducks. Have never seen a whole lot land around there anyway. My brother in law hunts going west off of 1126 alittle ways and they kill a few dukcs. Most of that area for some reason is not great duck hunting. If you go around Ronoake or south of Lake Arthur the duck hunting is much better because of the flight. We hunt off of Lyons road on the Beniot's farm.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Red Snapper

This does not sound very good. Not sure what I am going to do.