SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 563
Default Cold weather fishing question

I know I'm eager to fish an also fairly new to it. What's everyones thought on fishing cold weather like today? All week its been AC by day and heat at night. Is there any good fishing to be had and if so what should i be chasing. I know a day out not catching is better than being inside but i'm curious on everyones thoughts and looking to head in the right direction. I'm limited to where i can go being boatless at the moment but there's gotta be something out there.
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 703

Well buddy I'm no expert by any means but I can give you my opinion just the same. When the weather is unstable,I don't fish. I never fish after a front until 3 days of stable weather after the front. It doesn't matter hot, cold, or comfortable. Warm fronts stall the bite same as cool fronts in my experience. I also use a barometer, I find any pressure movement is good but I have done best on rising pressure, once it peaks out or gets above 31 I'm done. Fish bite in cold weather, hot weather and when it's comfortable for you. Finding them is a challenge for every fisherman and where you find them can vary from day to day. To answer you're cold weather question I start deep, in the channel from the bottom to 1 foot. Then move to the first incline, the side of the channel. Then work my way across the flat targeting any structure I find. Than I will work my way to the second incline at about 7-10 feet of water still targeting structure. After that I work the bank back to 7 feet of water targeting cover. If I don't get a bite I'm done. This time of year I would start on the banks and work my way to 7 feet of water targeting both cover and structure. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the input it definitly helps.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Runner View Post
Well buddy I'm no expert by any means but I can give you my opinion just the same. When the weather is unstable,I don't fish. I never fish after a front until 3 days of stable weather after the front. It doesn't matter hot, cold, or comfortable. Warm fronts stall the bite same as cool fronts in my experience. I also use a barometer, I find any pressure movement is good but I have done best on rising pressure, once it peaks out or gets above 31 I'm done. Fish bite in cold weather, hot weather and when it's comfortable for you. Finding them is a challenge for every fisherman and where you find them can vary from day to day. To answer you're cold weather question I start deep, in the channel from the bottom to 1 foot. Then move to the first incline, the side of the channel. Then work my way across the flat targeting any structure I find. Than I will work my way to the second incline at about 7-10 feet of water still targeting structure. After that I work the bank back to 7 feet of water targeting cover. If I don't get a bite I'm done. This time of year I would start on the banks and work my way to 7 feet of water targeting both cover and structure. Good luck and I hope this helps.
good advice...Wish I could help but I dont bank fish much at all and I almost never fish freshwater
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,453

i caught my biggest bass ever when it was 25 degrees at take off. but yes generally the first 2 days after a big high pressure system comes in is very tough. just have to slow your presentation down alot. fish slow. dont expect too many bites.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

If bass fishing. Slow you're presentation down alot. The fish arent going to want to chase it. Also make.repeated casts to the same area you wanna get the bait as close.to the fish as possible. Since the water is cold the fish dont swim/move as much so they dont burn off their food so they eat less. Most bites will probably be a reaction strike. They also look at energy spent vs the reward. A fish isnt gonna swim very far for a small minnow. Its not worth it to them...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

The best big trout trips I have had on Big Lake were days most people would have stayed in.