SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Thank you Sulphite for trying to make him understand. Its a lost cause with that one. Don't worry W, you'll get your stipulations soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

The ship channel is what caused all the erosion.
the ship channel is also why the trout grow so big

the reason why people aren't catching as many 8+ lbers is b/c people are KEEPING THEM

not as many knew how to fish for them as nowadays, too many texans
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

yep! Ship Channel big part of mystique of Big Lake. Direct line from gulf to the flats helps those trout get big!

Lots of pressure from many anglers, not just texans, but Houston, TX, one of the US' largest cities is just 2 hours away. They are over here often. Just call a taxidermist in Houston area and ask him where most his trout come from!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

So when God created the marshes around big lake were they intended to be fresh or saltwater marshes??????? Is a marsh not a main food supply? I guess I missed that science class when we were told that we needed weirs to control our saltwater marshes!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

My dad still often tells stories of when they used to go to "Black Lake" and rent a boat and paddle out to catch white perch all day long. He said it was a big fresh water lake....
Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Red Snapper

W....You trying to cross mojinate this thread with your weir thread??
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
So when God created the marshes around big lake were they intended to be fresh or saltwater marshes??????? Is a marsh not a main food supply? I guess I missed that science class when we were told that we needed weirs to control our saltwater marshes!!!!
The levees and canals etc have changed the "natural" marsh...therefore it does not follow the natural course of nature. The marsh is killed by too much salt water and erosion occurs. thus leading to land loss, leading to a hurricane wiping out all coastal areas.

Is this correct?? Yak or Heavy?

IDK...Making my head hurt...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .

Last edited by SULPHITE; 02-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
My dad still often tells stories of when they used to go to "Black Lake" and rent a boat and paddle out to catch white perch all day long. He said it was a big fresh water lake....
Wow...thats crazy.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

My dad caught a tarpon on a sparkle beetle at 210 with 10lb test on joe lanzas hole
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
The levees and canals etc have changed the "natural" marsh...therefore it does not follow the natural course of nature. The marsh is killed by too much salt water and erosion occurs. thus leading to land loss, leading to a hurricane wiping out all coastal areas.

Is this correct?? Yak or Heavy?

IDK...Making my head hurt...
you are correct sir! if you think about it anything above the coast should not be saltwater at all. there is no river of saltwater flowing from north to south so there are no natural saltwater marshes above the beaches of louisiana.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
My dad caught a tarpon on a sparkle beetle at 210 with 10lb test on joe lanzas hole
Go into Gordons Drug Store and talk with George Paret. He always talks of those stories. Hell, they still catch tarpon in Galveston and in Grand Isle/Venice. Wish they still swam the lake!!! Man could you imagine throwing a big topwater in the summer at Long Point and having a tarpon explode on it!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Go into Gordons Drug Store and talk with George Paret. He always talks of those stories. Hell, they still catch tarpon in Galveston and in Grand Isle/Venice. Wish they still swam the lake!!! Man could you imagine throwing a big topwater in the summer at Long Point and having a tarpon explode on it!
I think I would crap my pants.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Any of you ever notice the 2 big Cypress stumps in Turners? My dad used to tell me when he was a kid, they caught many bass in Big Lake.

On the other hand, I vividly remember sitting at the mouth of West pass and catching our 100 fish in a few hours many weekends while they were netting tons of trout in West Cove.

There are not the fish in the Calcasieu Estuary that there was 30 or 40 years ago.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Any of you ever notice the 2 big Cypress stumps in Turners? My dad used to tell me when he was a kid, they caught many bass in Big Lake.

On the other hand, I vividly remember sitting at the mouth of West pass and catching our 100 fish in a few hours many weekends while they were netting tons of trout in West Cove.

There are not the fish in the Calcasieu Estuary that there was 30 or 40 years ago.

the stumps like these? or smaller? i've never seen them..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marsh.jpg (49.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Smaller. The tide has to be way out for them to be seen
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Tarpon still go into Lake P. during the summer.

And to add to med heavy, there will be an article in Cajun Outdoors in march that i wrote that is a VERY simple explanation,

but.

there is a natural process, before the damming of the mississippi river, the cheniers and marshes on the west side of the state were formed from huge mudflats that would develop on the coast, then be vegetated, then the "beach" would be reworked causing a new barrier island "cheneir" and the process starts over and over again.

many people dont understand that erosion is a natural process, but the problem is is that we as humans have stopped the rebuilding functions
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
many people dont understand that erosion is a natural process, but the problem is is that we as humans have stopped the rebuilding functions
thats what I was trying to say!! good explanation Yak!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post

Where are these located?

I have seen the ~3 foot dia. "rock" that is out west of the island in Turners. I see boats up on plane over near that rock....just waiting for one of them to hit it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

Quote:
You & W would be wrong on this issue.....the trout fishery is suffering. Facts will be made known before year end. Then I'll expect a big "I'm sorry and was wrong" from many posters on this board.

Like Forrest Gump: "Thats all I'm gonna say about that!"
Well I'm convinced cmdrost is a democrat, he believes everything he reads or hears. Spend a little time out there on the water you talk about so much and see whats really going on. Theres no problem at all, and thats been proven by all the good reports, fish storys , pics ,and guide testimonals saying that lake is great shape. Your just like obama and algore and wanta cause problems and try to fix something that needs absolutely no help at all!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The old 85 year old man across the street from me said he was catching Specks in Prien Lake when he was a kid. There had to be salt water up there.