SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600
Default fish kill? what's the deal?

I work on the marine docks at the citgo refinery. I am startled by the sight of hundreds of dead fish in the river today. Most of them are crokers. I even saw a few gulls. Anybody have any idea what is going on? If you fished in Prien Lake or Lake Charles today, I would find out what is going on before eating any fish. They were all floating from the that area. River seems unusual today. Really strong irregular current. Just giving the heads up and trying to find more info. Maybe somebody dumped hundreds of dead croker out of an ice chest or something. I don't know what's going on. The river will turn to blood if much more things die in it today.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoileau View Post
I work on the marine docks at the citgo refinery. I am startled by the sight of hundreds of dead fish in the river today. Most of them are crokers. I even saw a few gulls. Anybody have any idea what is going on? If you fished in Prien Lake or Lake Charles today, I would find out what is going on before eating any fish. They were all floating from the that area. River seems unusual today. Really strong irregular current. Just giving the heads up and trying to find more info. Maybe somebody dumped hundreds of dead croker out of an ice chest or something. I don't know what's going on. The river will turn to blood if much more things die in it today.

I live up on the calcasieu river in Moss Bluff, River is high with a strong current...Haven't seen any dead fish, but have seen PLENTY of dead crabs. Crabs came up when the river turned salty, crabs dieing after the rain...But we have been catching redfish at our wharfs on the westfork
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

I have been watching dead fish float by the dock half the day. The other half I wasn't looking. My son caught 2 redfish in Goos Bay at the end of Goos Ferry Rd on the Moss Bluff side. This was a couple weeks ago. I took my son perch jerking one afternoon just before dark. He caught both of them under a cork with a live worm. They were rat reds, but that is unheard of for reds to be that far north on the river. That must be at least 10 or 15 miles north of the salt water barrier. maybe further. don't know the distance by water. Very Strange.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoileau View Post
I have been watching dead fish float by the dock half the day. The other half I wasn't looking. My son caught 2 redfish in Goos Bay at the end of Goos Ferry Rd on the Moss Bluff side. This was a couple weeks ago. I took my son perch jerking one afternoon just before dark. He caught both of them under a cork with a live worm. They were rat reds, but that is unheard of for reds to be that far north on the river. That must be at least 10 or 15 miles north of the salt water barrier. maybe further. don't know the distance by water. Very Strange.

They caught a speck up by sam houston state park.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
They caught a speck up by sam houston state park.

Dern..... that far up?