SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Hairout Dog Hunter Frustration

Not wanting to start a peeing match, but what has the dog hunting community come to???? Not that long ago, I was enjoying my redneck friends on dog hunts for deer and cut my teeth in the deer woods with hounds in the basin.

Nowadays, we have them around us and all they do is hunt from the roads and ride around with tracking systems looking at ways to cut a deer off on the next road. They wonder why so many still hunters, myself included, are having ill feelings and calling the law on them. I witnessed a 80# yearling cross our food plot that was running from dogs for 30 minutes. I got down to catch some of the dogs, knowing the deer was crossing the road by where my truck was parked 100 yards away. To my amazement, these POS people that are so worried about their "heritage" did something I consider vile and unsportsmanlike.

This little deer was so stressed when it passed me, it was literally running with his tounge hanging out. A guy with a box full of dogs comes screaming up the road as the deer crossed and dumped another box of dogs on it! I asked him what he was doing and he stated "I know ya'll call the law on us if ya'll catch dogs, now with fresh dogs on his *** you aint' catching jack***". What is the sport in running a deer till it collapses or you get him to cross a road where you can sit in a truck and run him down. Sorry, but my grandfather and his friends surely had more respect for the animals than to hunt like the modern day dog hunter.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Not wanting to start a peeing match, but what has the dog hunting community come to???? Not that long ago, I was enjoying my redneck friends on dog hunts for deer and cut my teeth in the deer woods with hounds in the basin.

Nowadays, we have them around us and all they do is hunt from the roads and ride around with tracking systems looking at ways to cut a deer off on the next road. They wonder why so many still hunters, myself included, are having ill feelings and calling the law on them. I witnessed a 80# yearling cross our food plot that was running from dogs for 30 minutes. I got down to catch some of the dogs, knowing the deer was crossing the road by where my truck was parked 100 yards away. To my amazement, these POS people that are so worried about their "heritage" did something I consider vile and unsportsmanlike.

This little deer was so stressed when it passed me, it was literally running with his tounge hanging out. A guy with a box full of dogs comes screaming up the road as the deer crossed and dumped another box of dogs on it! I asked him what he was doing and he stated "I know ya'll call the law on us if ya'll catch dogs, now with fresh dogs on his *** you aint' catching jack***". What is the sport in running a deer till it collapses or you get him to cross a road where you can sit in a truck and run him down. Sorry, but my grandfather and his friends surely had more respect for the animals than to hunt like the modern day dog hunter.
Well put.

I like to lean on upbringing...

If the person bringing you up always showed you how to get things done the easy way, guess what? Your motive will always be just that. In turn, this creates an inconsiderate person that will do anything to get what he wants as easy as he can, no matter who or what it affects.

When you are brought up to take pride in accomplishing things that most people can't be successful at, then you automatically are accustomed to do things in a more difficult way - anybody can turn a bunch of dogs loose and hunt like he did, it's the easy way... In doing things the more difficult and prideful way ( which is almost always the traditional way) you are also forced to be more in tune, and consider way more scenarios and surroundings, thus creating a CONSIDERATE mindset.

Nothing wrong with hunting with dogs at all, but the way you describe is wrong to me...

That's my rant.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by goooh View Post
well put.

If the person bringing you up always showed you how to get things done the easy way, guess what? Your motive will always be just that. In turn, this creates an inconsiderate person that will do anything to get what he wants as easy as he can, no matter who or what it affects.

When you are brought up to take pride in accomplishing things that most people can't be successful at, then you automatically are accustomed to do things in a more difficult way - anybody can turn a bunch of dogs loose and hunt like he did, it's the easy way... In doing things the more difficult and prideful way ( which is almost always the traditional way) you are also forced to be more in tune, and consider way more scenarios and surroundings, thus creating a considerate mindset.

Nothing wrong with hunting with dogs at all, but the way you describe is wrong to me...

That's my rant.

x2 well put
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post

agreed x 10
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I don't mind people running dogs but if they cross my property..... I will leave it at that
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I am sick and tired of dog hunting on our lease....I don't care for it so when they start running my season is pretty much over. I rather not go and get pissed off. If we can't vote dog hunting out next year this will be my last year. They do the same thing as you mentioned....we have a 6 point or better rule but come dog season if it's brown it's on the ground. Last year I saw the same 50lb yearling almost every hunt....come dog season they killed it.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

running a deer until it collapse of exhaustion just disgusts me... I really wish running the dogs wasn't legal at all. I can understand using the dogs to chase them into a shooting range, but I'm afraid thats probably not what most of them do..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 809

We own 200 acres surrounded by timber companies property (1000's of acres) leased by a "large club" that run dogs...Guess where the dogs run EVERY TIME? all over us...through our creek and thickets...through every bottom on the place....as late as this morning at 9:15am....takes two days for our place to settle back down....then, these back tracking, cold trailing son of a ******wood dogs just trot around the property with no tracking devices at all....just dye on them and a collar....We catch what we can and tie off on the fence by the road, but most of them are scared of us and we can't catch them at all....To each his own and I do like to listen to them run from time to time, but I have to admit....sucks when you take a weeks vacation to hunt in the "prime time" and have 2 days wasted because of inconsiderate neighbors...IMO, they should set up better to cut the dogs off before going on to other peoples property, especially with the amount of hunters and leased land they have....For some reason, they love turning out on our property line, wonder why? Very frustrating to say the least....I feel your pain....

Insult to injury, 2 weeks ago, I caught 1 of 2 and brought back to their camp. I told them the other was on us but wouldn't come to us....I asked them to follow us over to catch his dog and he advised me that the dog would come home when he got hungry!!! Then turned about face to proceed what he was doing before....I left before I said something I would regret later...I was more than fit to be tied...If I would have been of lesser character, that situation would not have turned out well for that dog....But I did what I always do....shake my head and go get a beer and try to forget about stupid people...after all, I am there to RELAX!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Is there any official law about what you can or can't do with these dogs? I know we have law now about trespassing by a person but how about their dogs, I know dogs don't know barriers but owners do..... seems like you could press charges against dog owner
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Is there any official law about what you can or can't do with these dogs? I know we have law now about trespassing by a person but how about their dogs, I know dogs don't know barriers but owners do..... seems like you could press charges against dog owner
In LA, you have no laws to help with a dog on your property running a deer that I am aware of. In Mississippi, we have some help from dogs by means of a fairly new law passed regarding National Forest, but that system is flawed also, but it is a help for now. The law is that people running dogs have to apply for a permit from the national forest ranger, display the permit # on the vehicle and dogs must have permit # and tracking collar. If you catch a dog on your property, the warden will issue a citation to permit holder. But you must catch the dog which is a pain in the arse for me, and I have no patience to catch these. Of course, they are turning loose on our property lines!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
. Of course, they are turning loose on our property lines!!!

This is what gets me....This is what they do to us....Instead of surrounding thier property with standers and turning loose in the middle of thier property, so hunters could cut off dogs leaving thier property, they turn loose literally where I can hear them talking and the dogs panting....I have no issue with dog hunters or dog hunting, but like everything else, a few disrespectful hunters, ruin it for the one's that want to do it the right way....The end result is a massive chase on our 200 acres on the border of their 10000 acres that shuts everything down for 2 days at a time....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
King Mackeral

We have an infestation of "coyotes" and I'm currently looking for some Arsenic to spike some weiners!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

My lease is 4,700 acres outside of oakdale. It is d map managed. If we catch anyone's dogs running deer. They will not make it back home. I am ok with people running dogs on there property or property they have permission to run on but it some peole don't see it that way. They think they can run their dogs on anyone's property and they also take the ethics out of hunting with dogs. I have the same tolerance for those people as I do for their dogs.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Simple fact is, if your dog is on my property causing an issue to me enjoying my property, you just lost a dog plain and simple. I'm there to shoot an "innocent" deer and I won't lose any sleep shooting an "innocent" dog
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Well put.

When you are brought up to take pride in accomplishing things that most people can't be successful at, then you automatically are accustomed to do things in a more difficult way - anybody can turn a bunch of dogs loose and hunt like he did, it's the easy way... In doing things the more difficult and prideful way ( which is almost always the traditional way) you are also forced to be more in tune, and consider way more scenarios and surroundings, thus creating a CONSIDERATE mindset.

That's my rant.
x3
Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Flounder

Cash: 597

I don't want to seem a troll by reviving an old thread but I have heard of an interesting solution that was used here. This might be total BS as I never saw this actually happen. We just banned all hound hunting and I did not agree with that decision at all, but the ban recieved a lot of support from hunters for the reasons you guys mentioned here.

An aquaintance manages a 25000 acre place that is surrounded by national forest and he had the same issues with hounds running bear all over his place and disturbing his deer. He also had issues finding dead bear (minus the paws and gall) and lions.

Everyone here runs shock collars on thier dogs because they need to call them off of deer. He procured a device that is like a scanner in reverse. It transmits rather than recieves a signal. When the hounds get too close to his land he just mashes the button and tapes it down.

The transmitter broadcasts a signal that locks up the shock collar on the dog. The dogs fry until the battery runs down. They also avoid his place now. I did not see tis happen and it might be a fairy tale, but he swears by it.....Take it for what you will.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 924

I bet that's some good meat after it has been run till it drops. No Thanks...