SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

BGizzle I think we talked about being close in Grand Chenier, whens the last time you were out there/seen birds? I've been trying to make it out for the past couple months but haven't had the chance. Last time I went there was still a bunch of birds. May try to pass through there if I head to Lafayette this weekend.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
BGizzle I think we talked about being close in Grand Chenier, whens the last time you were out there/seen birds? I've been trying to make it out for the past couple months but haven't had the chance. Last time I went there was still a bunch of birds. May try to pass through there if I head to Lafayette this weekend.
I went last week to check on millet and see if the marsh we sprayed died so we can plant jap to be ready for big ducks. We were there at the hottest part of the day didn't see much for ducks but everything is fresh and food is plentiful so all signs point in the right direction. We gonna go back for dove opener to hunt n move blinds. That whole area from PI to gc is chock full of doves. Big ones too. Year before last was plentiful but last yr was scarce. This first yr things seem to be on right track. Of I could get the owner out there more I think we would murk. We got rest ponds with food etc... For first time too. Last yr when water got high we laid hamma. First time we ever killed mallards out there since his granpa did back in the gap. Not far from booths as the crow flies.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
I went last week to check on millet and see if the marsh we sprayed died so we can plant jap to be ready for big ducks. We were there at the hottest part of the day didn't see much for ducks but everything is fresh and food is plentiful so all signs point in the right direction. We gonna go back for dove opener to hunt n move blinds. That whole area from PI to gc is chock full of doves. Big ones too. Year before last was plentiful but last yr was scarce. This first yr things seem to be on right track. Of I could get the owner out there more I think we would murk. We got rest ponds with food etc... For first time too. Last yr when water got high we laid hamma. First time we ever killed mallards out there since his granpa did back in the gap. Not far from booths as the crow flies.
Man I hope my phone rings on the 9th when dove opens then!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Seen a handful of mallards in teal season but not many for big duck season, this is south of hwy 82, theres land I can prolly hunt north of the hwy that I'm hoping will hold some mallards, gonna give that a shot this year maybe try to get some geese there too.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
That blind I had was about a half mile south from the refuge and they would fly over us all morning just out of range and pile in that refuge every morning.
That's what has me worried about that new property across the street from it. We gonna be able to see em on the ground the refuge is so close.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Man I hope my phone rings on the 9th when dove opens then!
See this where the problem lies with that place. Family land and not my fam. We have select few ppl that are a shoe in and e xtra a only the backout. But not saying its out of question
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,950
Default Re: The Refuge Off Of 35 North of Kaplan

That area (The Refuge Off Of 35 North of Kaplan) is in what is know as the WRAP federal program. It stands for Waterfowl Rest Area Program. They started it last year and it must remain that way for a certain period of time (Not sure if it's 7 years or not). If you drive around to the shell road that connects Gladu Rd. to Dulva Rd. you can see the WRAP signs. I had a blind in that area, the hunting was spotty, however the bird watching was and is spectacular!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerenemo View Post
That area (The Refuge Off Of 35 North of Kaplan) is in what is know as the WRAP federal program. It stands for Waterfowl Rest Area Program. They started it last year and it must remain that way for a certain period of time (Not sure if it's 7 years or not). If you drive around to the shell road that connects Gladu Rd. to Dulva Rd. you can see the WRAP signs. I had a blind in that area, the hunting was spotty, however the bird watching was and is spectacular!!!
and pretty frustrating ...i was also in the lease w Spectator it was pretty terrible
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
No we are South like heading to Pecan Island. We are about 5 miles West of Suires.
you must be close to Amoco....or just east of Wright