SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464
Question Onboard Charger Question

I bought a boat with a 2 bank charger for the t/m batteries and I know the the engine is "suppose" to charge starter battery but I have heard horror stories of it not working all the time, I am wondering if any of yall have a single bank charger for start battery that yall use or just take the chance with the engine charging it. A guy I work with has had issueswith his 90hp not keeping up and was told that if you have a 150hp or bigger not to worry, I have a 200hp but want to hear what yalls experience has been.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

I have a 4 bank charger for my 4 batteries. Im thinking as often as you fish,you should be fine with the main cranking battery,at least till the battery gets to be about 2 yrs old anyway
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

so you use 1 onboard charger for t/m batteries and starting battery? I was kinda wondering if that would hurt the batteries since the t/m batteries should drain evenly and starting battery will be at diff charge level
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Redfish

Cash: 899

The new on onboard chargers monitor the levels of each battery and charge them as needed. One charger can charge 4 batteries at different levels without cooking them like they used to. The only reasons you would need a charger on your cranking battery is if you run livewell pumps and lights off of it or if you make a lot of short runs.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I have a 24 vdc charger for my TM batteries and only use engine charging for my main engine.
I work 2 weeks away from home. When I get home, starting battery is never drained down.
I also have the Minkota Talon. Manual says it will slightly drain battery over time. I never had an issue yet.
Onboard chargers are not cheap. If you get one, be sure it is ignition protected. You don't want sparks under the console on a gas boat.
Or go cheap and get a charger from any auto parts store like you use on your car. Once a month or so, charge the main engine battery.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

A lot of the so called on board chargers are not actually chargers. They are maintainers. if you run your batteries dead the maintainer may have a hard time getting it back to full charge . especially if you are trying to fish multiple days in a row.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

There are chargers too. It all depends on the chargers amp capacity.
You can get up to 100 amp output, but that is not what a center console fishing boat needs.
Most are 5 + 5 or 10 + 10.
I have a 20 amp smart charger on my big boat. It puts out up to 20 amps total. It is connected to 2 different 12 vdc batteries. It will give what ever each one needs, but up to a total of 20 amps. If one needs 2 amps and the other can get up to 18 amps.
My trolling motor charger is the 5 + 5 amp type. It can give up to 5 amps for each 12 volt battery, or 10 amps on a 24 volt system.

I have used my trolling motor 2 straight days, hard, and it will charge up completely overnight.