SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
You can get a lot of cheetos for cheap at sams. Spill em out on da way to da south end. Frees up da good spots down south.
:*****:I do have a bag of Doritos in my boat. I bet they will work too!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasin'tail View Post
If the CCA and the guides wanted to protect their industry, it would have been better to set limits on your 2-4 lb fish. These are your brood stock group-limiting the # of these size fish in the old (25) limit would have been a smarter approach to helping the speck #'s.
and just how would you do that!?! LDWF would have laughed you out of the room. Talk about an enforcement nightmare. And where are you getting this info from?

W....you can go out and catch 25 trout 12-16 inchers or 24 inches and above. Can't keep anything 17"-23" That would go over really well.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...pecies/strout/

"Spotted seatrout reaches sexual maturity at one to two years. Most large spotted seatrout caught are females and commonly live to be nine or 10 years of age. Anglers long ago recognized that very large trout were usually female and appropriately called them "sow" trout. A female spotted seatrout may spawn several times during the season. Younger females may release 100,000 eggs and older, larger females may release a million eggs. Recent studies indicate that spotted seatrout spawn between dusk and dawn and usually within coastal bays, estuaries and lagoons. They prefer shallow grassy areas where eggs and larvae have some cover from predators."
Old 06-17-2011, 01:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
:*****:I do have a bag of Doritos in my boat. I bet they will work too!

In a pinch but cheetos float much better.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
and just how would you do that!?! LDWF would have laughed you out of the room. Talk about an enforcement nightmare. And where are you getting this info from?

W....you can go out and catch 25 trout 12-16 inchers or 24 inches and above. Can't keep anything 17"-23" That would go over really well.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...pecies/strout/

"Spotted seatrout reaches sexual maturity at one to two years. Most large spotted seatrout caught are females and commonly live to be nine or 10 years of age. Anglers long ago recognized that very large trout were usually female and appropriately called them "sow" trout. A female spotted seatrout may spawn several times during the season. Younger females may release 100,000 eggs and older, larger females may release a million eggs. Recent studies indicate that spotted seatrout spawn between dusk and dawn and usually within coastal bays, estuaries and lagoons. They prefer shallow grassy areas where eggs and larvae have some cover from predators."

Called a slot limit is all, don't see the humor of his post I guess

Slots suck, I hate em, don't bass fish anymore hardly because of the trophy fishermen and their trophy lakes and slot limits which has done nothing but turn bass fishing into a big business and if you keep a bass you are the devil. Lakes that once were good are now 'overmanaged' and have turned into a big garhole I like it when a bassfisherman sees me catch a bass while white perch fishing and throw it in the icechest!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Red Snapper

I'm well aware what a slot limit is, but to actually argue that making a slot limit for trout would be better than the current set up is laughable to me. Esp a slot limit in the size range he is talking about.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Quote:
I'm well aware what a slot limit is, but to actually argue that making a slot limit for trout would be better than the current set up is laughable to me. Esp a slot limit in the size range he is talking about.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I would scratch if they had a slot limit..lol..I would have to agree...Slot limit would by far the be the stupidest thing..We would sit right there with Texas on fishing limits idiot 101

I dont think anyone catches enough trout over 25 inch to worry about it....Full Truth..I never measure a trout unless I dont think its 12inchs...

I mostly dont keep trout over 4-5lbs so the chances of me having 2 over 25 is slim..but like i said...I never worry about it nor do I ever check.....
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
CCA STAR Trout weights before and after the limit change in 2006

Trout before the Limit change in 2006

Russell Buckels
8lbs. 5 oz.
David Brown
10lbs. 3oz.
Quentin LeBoeuf
9lbs. 8 oz.
David Foreman
9lbs. 4 oz.

William Jennings
8.90 lbs.
Lynn Vaughn
8.40 lbs.

Catherine Pears
8.55 lbs.

Chad Paulk
9.45 lbs.
Danny Lanza
9.35 lbs.

Dustin Fuselier
9.15 lbs.
Chris Vallette
9.50 lbs.

Jared Burleigh
9.10 lbs.
Jimmie Hebert
8.90 lbs.

Tony Hayden
8.40 lbs.

Trout weights after the Trout limit

Tony Hayden
8.20 lbs.

Gary Burt
7.75 lbs

Jared Verrett
7.65 lbs

Larry Simon
7.80 lbs.

Dennis Lavergne
7.20 lbs.
Mark Jeanes
7.45 lbs.

John Adams
8.85 lbs

Harold Licatino
8.30 lbs.
Tony Hayden
8.25 lbs

Dale Weiman
8.25 lbs.

Donnie Gibbs
8.20 lbs

Buddy Ward
7.95 lbs.

Wayne McElveen
7.68 lbs
Betty Ellender
7.68 lbs
Gary Peltier
7.53 lbs

NO 9 or 10lbers Over Stock means smaller fish!!!

Had some happy friends in 2004. They were fishing together and Dustin caught his fish first. Wasnt long after that Chad beat him out when they were in the boat together again. Great times!!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: -91

Thats funny, the biologist wanted to leave it alone. 25 12" min. with no protection for the big fish. They are not what you need to protect. And NO I don't want a slot limit, I was just saying that the 2-4 lbs fish are the furture of the species. Where you the one yelling " how do we make BL a trophy trout lake". It already was, and I'll say it again call Mike Harbison. He knows more about the lake than most of us. I do believe the fish come in cyclics. And I can still go to some of my spots and catch 2-3 lb avg. ,but not the 30-40 fish in the 3-6 lb avg. those days are gone. I fished BL since the 70's this lake will never be what it once was ......
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

Quote:
Thats funny, the biologist wanted to leave it alone. 25 12" min. with no protection for the big fish. They are not what you need to protect. And NO I don't want a slot limit, I was just saying that the 2-4 lbs fish are the furture of the species. Where you the one yelling " how do we make BL a trophy trout lake". It already was, and I'll say it again call Mike Harbison. He knows more about the lake than most of us. I do believe the fish come in cyclics. And I can still go to some of my spots and catch 2-3 lb avg. ,but not the 30-40 fish in the 3-6 lb avg. those days are gone. I fished BL since the 70's this lake will never be what it once was ......
Is the trout population headed in the right direction at this point given all of the measures that have been taken in the last 15 years? Or are we looking at a declining fishery for years to come?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Flounder

Ckinchen, I don't believe the fishery is in a decline-but, the current limit that was instated has not helped one bit. That is the only measure that I know of that has been taken on regards to specks. It was done by those who have the power, I think they intended to do the fish some good, but it hasn't. w has it right to a degree, the boats that run the lake now- differently keeps the lake and reefs stirred up. You just have to be able to go when its at its optimum and you will catch your fish. Just like now the tide will be running after lunch here, and its time for me to go. And no I'm not going in BL today, I'm fishing Matagorda for the next 10 days. Good luck to all of you....
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Where you the one yelling " how do we make BL a trophy trout lake". It already was, and I'll say it again call Mike Harbison. He knows more about the lake than most of us. ..
No that was not me and I talk with Harbison frequently.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Ckinchen, I don't believe the fishery is in a decline-but, the current limit that was instated has not helped one bit. That is the only measure that I know of that has been taken on regards to specks. It was done by those who have the power, I think they intended to do the fish some good, but it hasn't. w has it right to a degree, the boats that run the lake now- differently keeps the lake and reefs stirred up. You just have to be able to go when its at its optimum and you will catch your fish. Just like now the tide will be running after lunch here, and its time for me to go. And no I'm not going in BL today, I'm fishing Matagorda for the next 10 days. Good luck to all of you....
You are right.....the biologists said for it to have an impact, we'd have to go to 10 or lower.

You can thank BP, because without that oil spill, the whole state is prob at 10 right now. The powers that be didn't want to do that during the spill mess and risk the PR nightmare. But just my 2 cents, I think another change is coming. The numbers haven't been good for years, and this is state-wide.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Before the gill net ban and the lower limits, you could catch 100 legal dink Trout in a day.
Dink trout were never scarce. Legal sized Redfish and Flounder were being smashed by the gill nets. They were getting harder and harder to catch.

Today, Reds and Founder have rebounded like a mutha...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Flounder

Hell, before you know it, they will have it catch-n-release only. Enjoy it while u can...I ain't going to lie it was tuff today to catch 3 reds in TX. But iut is blowing 20+ knts. No specks no flounder...try again tomorrow- gotta go to work .
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
You are right.....the biologists said for it to have an impact, we'd have to go to 10 or lower.

You can thank BP, because without that oil spill, the whole state is prob at 10 right now. The powers that be didn't want to do that during the spill mess and risk the PR nightmare. But just my 2 cents, I think another change is coming. The numbers haven't been good for years, and this is state-wide.

I dont know if its hurt or helped but I dont see any improvement over all from the limit change..
But I do see a decrease in big trout being caught and if its a cycle it should come around and prove it self.
If the Biologist said it would not do any good unless you went to 10 trout then why go to 15 if we knew it would do no good??? Why change something that is not broke
Im a conservationist and believe you have to keep things in check. Limits are set to improve things and only thing I have improved is a faster limit

I would like someone to find the Shoot Out winners from where it started-2011 and lets see what the Top 5 trout from each year were,
I promise you see the same thing.....Decrease in trout size after the creel change..... This year had to be the worst weight of all them with a 5.96lb trout
Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I dont know if its hurt or helped but I dont see any improvement over all from the limit change..
But I do see a decrease in big trout being caught and if its a cycle it should come around and prove it self.
If the Biologist said it would not do any good unless you went to 10 trout then why go to 15 if we knew it would do no good??? Why change something that is not broke
Im a conservationist and believe you have to keep things in check. Limits are set to improve things and only thing I have improved is a faster limit

I would like someone to find the Shoot Out winners from where it started-2011 and lets see what the Top 5 trout from each year were,
I promise you see the same thing.....Decrease in trout size after the creel change..... This year had to be the worst weight of all them with a 5.96lb trout
One year at Burton Coliseum I placed 18th with a 6.26. 20 trout all over 6lbs that year but I can't remember what year it was.