SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346
Default ICAST 2010 Report

what a show! ICAST 2010 had so many great, new and innovative products, i almost don't know where to start, so I'll just dive in..

one of the biggest upcoming trends seems to be micro guide rods from most manufacturers. wright mcgill, falcon, laserlure, duckett fishing and many others are offering many new rods with these tiny guides. they claim distance and sensitivity are increased..they look and feel good but only time will tell if it's a true trend or merely a fad.

i knew it would only be a matter of time before power pole would be knocked off.. and minn kota won best new marine product with their new non-hydraulic anchor called the 'talon shallow water anchor'. the electrically powered pole installs in 1/3 the time and greatly reduces the noise associated with power pole anchors. the talon is adjustable both vertically and front/back tilt to 30*. it also has a quick release mount so you can remove the pole to help with storage.(what a great idea!) this thing looks awesome and WILL hurt power pole sales. fresh and salt safe $1300-$1500 for 6'-8'.

g. loomis took best in show for its extremely serious nrx series of bass rods. they're using a completely new nano silica material mixed with high density carbon that makes these rods are unbelievably sensitive and feather light. using a split grip with a skeleton reel seat, ion coated recoil guides on top and titanium-framed double footed fuji sic guides on bottom, this rod is built for ultimate performance from top to bottom. g. loomis is focusing their efforts on the serious bass angler and it shows. 6'8"-7'5", $520-$540.

shimano took home best in show honors for their Stella fresh water reel, Trinidad A saltwater reel and their new terez series saltwater rods which come in four colors and a ton of tapers. shimano always has great products and these are no exception. great looking stuff.

shimano also won best hard bait with their new waxwing swimming jig. they look good and swim with an erratic zig-zag pattern, no rod twitching required.. just cast, reel, catch fish. easy right? lol.. 14 colors, 2 sizes 88mm & 118mm, $17.99 & $19.99

the soft bait category was won by koppers live target hollow bodied frog. i can see why they won.. holding this frog in your hand you'd swear it looks like its ready to snatch a fly from the air any second. the deep textures and extremely realistic coloring of these frogs are unmatched in this category. just awesome looking frogs.

moving to the terminal side of things, sebile took best in show for terminal tackle with their improved weighted hook system with removable rubber/tungsten weights. the weighted hooks are now available separately from the baits. these hooks and weights are marketed tword bass anglers but i can see these weights being applied to saltwater baits too.

sufix won best new line with their new 832 advanced superline. its a new 8-strand line with the famous gore-tex material incorporated into the mix. the gore material is said to improve color-retention and lower line vibrations associated with some braided lines. this line feel really smooth and round, looks like good stuff.

well i guess that about covers it.. NOT! that was just the highlight reel. i will post a few more threads in the next few days to get a little more in-depth about some of the other new tackle items to hit the market at icast.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Great write up,thanks bro. I have been hearing a rumor about minn kotas new anchor,cant wait to see one.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Great White

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...Talon_Shallow_
Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Red Snapper

hey montauk, yeah thats it in ur link.. the thing looks awesome up close.. comes with 2 remotes and the blue l.e.d. lights on the side indicate depth. pretty slick
Old 07-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

When you start your motor, it alarms that the anchor is still down.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Awesome write up, I bet that was a blast! Sounds like there were a lot if new and interesting products shown. I can't wait to see how that Minn Kota anchor pits up against the Power Pole.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

Thanks for the report Ob. Now let's go hit the lake.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Red Snapper

thanks, no problem! it was a total blast.. so many pros it was unreal..

hells yeah longcast lets hit it!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,551

Thanks for the report...look forward to the rest!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

very nice
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
very nice
Yeah I like it. Really doesn't look as bulky as the P.P.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
King Mackeral

looks cheap dont know how it will stand up to fishing in louisiana waters which can beat u up but i guess we will just have to see is it plastic.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Great White

This website has alot of info on the icast. http://www.tackletour.com/
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
King Mackeral

When u let it down. Is there a shell that stays in the air. If so power pole goes in water i think i still like the power pole better. Guess i need to see this talon in action.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
When u let it down. Is there a shell that stays in the air. If so power pole goes in water i think i still like the power pole better. Guess i need to see this talon in action.
yes a shell stays there. it looked good at icast.. deployed fast and with one button press...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
looks cheap dont know how it will stand up to fishing in louisiana waters which can beat u up but i guess we will just have to see is it plastic.
it didnt look cheap on the show floor. looked pretty solid.. and they claim its salt safe so... i guess we'll see.