SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Tragedy in Dularge

Guys, as I write this, I still feel for a young man of 14 years old and I hope that God will heal him quickly so he can be their for his mother.

This past Saturday, I was down for the weekend w/ my wife and dad at Fisherman's Retreat across the canal from the Falgout Canal Marina. We did not have intentions on fishing because of the weather, but had some things to take care of and some work to do. Around 9:00 am Saturday morning, we just finished breakfast when the fire station across the road gets paged out for an emergency at the marina. Dad and I decide to go over there to see if I can help, since i know most of those guys from my days w/ Acadian and now see them on a regular basis when they have calls down there. I respond to several calls a year with them while I'm down there since an ambulance response is usually in the 30 minute range on average.

I get to the marina where a local deputy and Jeremy Ball look at me and ask me to get ready and go to the boat ramp. They had a hunting accident and it is coming in by boat. Information is scarce, but it is known that it is a shotgun blast and its bad. Approximately 10 minutes later, Air Med is landing and as the turbines spool down, we can hear the faint roar of an airboat coming in. As the airboat arrives, we see two occupants coming in wide open. Their eyes said it all, and we knew it was bad from 100 yards away. Then as he gets across from us, we can see the operate fighting the boat. The throttle is stuck wide open and the boat is out of control.

The operator is in the top seat and a young boy is in the bottom seat. The boat spins widely, almost throwing both out into the water. The operator somehow keeps the boat from flipping, but not before having the nose of the airboat go completely under water and filling the hull. He again guns it, to keep momentum and somehow gets it to the ramp and drives it up where the hull is swamped. We move in to assess the patient. The driver immediatelly collapses into my arms from the top seat, where myself and another responder drag him out of the boat. The young boy jumps out of the boat and runs to some family members that had started arriving. In the bottom of the boat is the boys father with a shotgun blast to the side of the head.

The driver and the boy both had wet clothes on and had been running in for help for about 30 minutes. We got them into an area of the marina that was secluded and got them out o ftheir wet clothes and started warming them up. The airboat driver was the cousin of the victim and was the one that pulled the trigger on the fatal accident. He was a complete mess, and will need longterm care to address his problems.

To make a long story short, these guys are commercial fisherman/trappers that I see out there everytime I go. Great people from down the bayou, just living off of what mother nature gave to them. It was a morning that was spent trying to supplement their trapping income by shooting some nutria rats since duck season was closed. Unfortunately, the drive shot from an elevated seat as his passenger walked into the line of fire. Death was instant, but this young boy had to ride in with his father at his feet for 30 minutes w/ wounds that I will describe as "gruesome" at the very least.

In closing, as fishing season gets cranked up, and hunting season is winding down, please take the time to be safe. We talk about it, but actually take the time to do it. Talk with you friends and people you hunt & fish with. Have a plan on what will take place before you do it. These guys have done this kind of thing probably a 100 times, but Saturday they got careless and made some horrible mistakes.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

That is awful. God bless that family and hope the young boy and cousin pull through this bad time.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

wow... that is horrible .... i will keep them in my prayers for sure..... Gun safety is a big problem a lot of people are not careful enough
Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

it would be hard to put one foot in front of the other if this happened to me, wow

it's very important for us to be careful fin is right, we have some foggy mornings coming soon. fog and tugboats dont mix
Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Tragic story but, thanks for sharing. It is something that happens like this that should make us all stop and take note. Life is precious and short enough without this type of incodent. Take the the time to set up fire lines and make sure that everyone understands them and respects them.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Mamike was a cousin of a coworker of mine, I am deeply saddened for his family and will keep them in my prayers.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

my prayers are sent
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

That is horrible news, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of all that were effected by this accident.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Cash: 376

Wow this story makes my heart hurt for the lil guy and the rest of there family! Sending prayers.
I heard about this yesterday from a co-worker that was rabbit hunting on there lease right near by where this took place.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

I will them in my prayers.....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Mamike was a cousin of a coworker of mine, I am deeply saddened for his family and will keep them in my prayers.
All of the Luke family members are great people and a asset to the community. Mike will be missed by many.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

I had heard about this a few days back, man thats awful. Will pray for some comfort and guidance for them and their families.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
it would be hard to put one foot in front of the other if this happened to me, wow

it's very important for us to be careful fin is right, we have some foggy mornings coming soon. fog and tugboats dont mix
Yeah man my good friends dad got killed by running the intracostal when it was foggy and ran into a tug. No amount of fish or ducks are worth your life. Thats a terrible accident,my prayers are with the family.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Brought a tear to my eye just reading this. What a tragedy! Prayers sent!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,561

Absolutely terrible...words cannort express the pain that family is feeling right now.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

I can't even imagine the anguish these folks are going through right now. My prayers are with them for sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

I heard about this on the radio, very tragic. My heart goes out to those involved, family and friends.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,332

While a first aid kit would not have helped in this situration, put one together and keep it updated and with you. Being in the fire service for over 32 years, I have seen horrendous wrecks and other trauma and at times the kit can help. Another thing is take a little time and take a Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). If you are on the lake or in the woods, this can literally make the difference in some one living or not.

Prayers and thoughts for the family.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

Man that's a terrible tragedy to all involved and their families. May god comfort them all in these tryin and terrible times
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Man this is a terrible tradagy.
My heart goes out to all involved and all that knew him.
Remember when you're out there guys to just have fun and be safe.