SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

The susukis are slower but you never have to worry about them leaving you out there either
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHog View Post
The susukis are slower but you never have to worry about them leaving you out there either
I had a lower unit go out in my 300 Zuke last year but I had heard the 250 and below are very solid motors. I was near my camp and used my trolling motor to get home, I was lucky THAT time.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHog View Post
They will all leave you eventually !
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
I know someone in Houston with a Haynie 24HO and a 250SHO, it ran 65mph loaded which is exactly what the 250PRO XS typically runs. 4mph would put an HO at almost 70 tournament loaded with a 250 PRO, sorry but I don't see it since a 300 2 stroke racing motor only runs around 70 or slightly above on that boat.

we got Nick's 24ft with a 250Opt up to 67mph last week
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
we got Nick's 24ft with a 250Opt up to 67mph last week
250 Opti is a strong motor, I'm not a 2 stroke guy so it wasn't something I considered. My last 2 stroke was 4 boats ago. I ran my Verado today for a test run on Lake Houston. I now have the larger gear case, the power was much better. 67 was the best I had done with the old smaller lower unit and 1.75 gear ratio, based upon what I saw today i should exceed that.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Ok......I have been doing some work on the Sho....because I'm thinking about getting one on my next Haynie..
He is what I have found
Fuel mileage is better on Opi max vs Sho on same boat...
Sho is heavier vs Opti Max

A guy ran a Sho 250 on a Trition for one month and ran the Opi 250 on same boat

He burned almost double the fuel with the sho...said fuel mileage is horrible

This is a guide who had the Sho to demo...
According to both manufacturers the weight on both engines is 505 lbs.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

That is dry weight. The SHO should take around 6 quarts of oil. The Zuks are having way to many corrosion problems for me to consider. There is no way the SHO will perform as well as a properly setup XS. That being said it's close enough that not having to buy oil would be worth it. I had a Merc racing XS on my 22' Triton lts that would do 62mph. In my Haynie LS I can hit 70 with the same motor. I promise a SHO would not touch those numbers on the same boats. What it boils down to is this. Mercury = cost less, faster but uses oil. SHO = cost more, slower than a mec, uses more gas(i have hear this from more than one person) but change oil once a year. Do your research and make you choice.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
That is dry weight. The SHO should take around 6 quarts of oil. The Zuks are having way to many corrosion problems for me to consider. There is no way the SHO will perform as well as a properly setup XS. That being said it's close enough that not having to buy oil would be worth it. I had a Merc racing XS on my 22' Triton lts that would do 62mph. In my Haynie LS I can hit 70 with the same motor. I promise a SHO would not touch those numbers on the same boats. What it boils down to is this. Mercury = cost less, faster but uses oil. SHO = cost more, slower than a mec, uses more gas(i have hear this from more than one person) but change oil once a year. Do your research and make you choice.
Compare the two at WOT and the sho does burn more. Compare at mid range the sho burns 2-3 less GPH.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Quick giving people false information.Sho is a whole 8 pounds heavier compared to a opti,big deal. Sho will beat a opti hands down when it comes to fuel burn. Yamaha does not "demo" loose engines...guide or not. Yamaha only demos packaged rigs like skeeter. (yamaha owns skeeter) My dad has worked with yamaha for over 20 years along with being on skeeter's factory team. Not trying to prove anything,but that is the cold hard FACTS.
I agree on the weight but were are you facts on fuel burn? I do not have a Mercmointor but when I'm doing 45mph at 3500rpm that has to be pretty good.
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Get a 350 yam v8...seen one at cal point on a shearwater and saw it again in a slip at heberts.
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Quote:
That is dry weight. The SHO should take around 6 quarts of oil. The Zuks are having way to many corrosion problems for me to consider. There is no way the SHO will perform as well as a properly setup XS. That being said it's close enough that not having to buy oil would be worth it. I had a Merc racing XS on my 22' Triton lts that would do 62mph. In my Haynie LS I can hit 70 with the same motor. I promise a SHO would not touch those numbers on the same boats. What it boils down to is this. Mercury = (cost less up front,but more on repairs in the end), faster but uses oil. SHO = cost more, slower than a mec, uses more gas(i have hear this from more than one person) but change oil once a year. Do your research and make you choice.
fixed it!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Great White

Quote:
I agree on the weight but were are you facts on fuel burn? I do not have a Mercmointor but when I'm doing 45mph at 3500rpm that has to be pretty good.
All I can tell you is yamaha tested alot comparing the sho to a opti before they released it. I have no literature on a EXACT same boat setup comparing a opti to a sho. To each his own,yamaha stands behind there product 100%.
I much rather have a jap made engine than a mexico and china made engine. For example,Mercury has been having ignition coil and lower unit problems for years on the opti. They have too many of the older non updated product and are getting dealers to install them instead of fixing the problem with a updated product.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
fixed it!!!
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

they are not called "pop"-ti-maxes for nothing.lol
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Great White

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...-party/?ID=88&
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/p...-01-04_bay.pdf

Not a exact comparison,but you are limited to performance tests on mercs site.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Red Snapper

Don't get me wrong, if buying to fish for fun I would get a SHO or even a Yama 150 on a 21' Frontier. Fishing for money I want the fastest motor I can put on my boat Merc 300XS. And the Merc 250XS is only a few mph behind the 300.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

sho is superior in quality. mercs die young. only thing merc has going for them is speed. and they dont have that much over the competition. 250 opti is 4 mph faster than sho?? really what is 4mph? we are talking about bay boats here people. if speed really mattered that much buy a boat thats made for speed. people buy optipops because they are cheap and fast but soon realize the motor is not made to last like our own lil buddy w had his boat less than three years and already looking at the sho. how many offshore boats you see with optipops lined up on the back?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
sho is superior in quality. mercs die young. only thing merc has going for them is speed. and they dont have that much over the competition. 250 opti is 4 mph faster than sho?? really what is 4mph? we are talking about bay boats here people. if speed really mattered that much buy a boat thats made for speed. people buy optipops because they are cheap and fast but soon realize the motor is not made to last like our own lil buddy w had his boat less than three years and already looking at the sho. how many offshore boats you see with optipops lined up on the back?
One, my boat has more than 4 mph on a Haynie LS with a SHO. Two, even 4 mph is a big difference when your making 2 hour runs one way for a Tourny. Three, if a bass boat could do what my Haynie can do and go were my Haynie can go I would have a 90mph bass boat. Four, I never keep a truck, boat or outboard over 3 years due to resale value and warranty, no matter the make, model or brand.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Great White

Quote:
One, my boat has more than 4 mph on a Haynie LS with a SHO. Two, even 4 mph is a big difference when your making 2 hour runs one way for a Tourny. Three, if a bass boat could do what my Haynie can do and go were my Haynie can go I would have a 90mph bass boat. Four, I never keep a truck, boat or outboard over 3 years due to resale value and warranty, no matter the make, model or brand.
Cool. What does that have to do with the original topic?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 655

I appreciate all the info..I am looking more for performance and fuel economy rather than speed. Looks like the SHO is getting more head nods so far.