Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
If you get the motor from Lake Area Marine, they have the Yamaha prop you need for that motor. 14, 15 and 16 pitch.
well im 20 miles west of new Orleans so that's a little too far out of my range
Old 05-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
@ CajunChristian

the Yamaha ss prop you speak of is the OEM Yamaha brand prop I need to buy from any Yamaha dealer or can I get one anywhere? and is it just one style prop or do I have to choose from semi-cleaver, clever, cupped, or not cupped and all that which you have to do for aftermarket props? in other words can I just say give me an OEM Yamaha prop and get the right one or will I have choices to make other then the pitch?

one last point, based on your experience for a regular use (not racing) prop when would a 4 blade be a good choice? I never could understand how to decide when you need a 4 blade or not and the times I see people recommend one they never have a good explanation as to why except to say it works better and im a very curious guy that likes to know why I make the decisions im told to make
Like Paul said, LAM has the prop. Buy one, bolt it on and go. No additional work is needed on that prop.
I have tested several hundred props, none work as well for an all purpose prop as that Yamaha. I have some of the best 4 bladers on the market. Mercury built a line of props called the Trophy Sport. They are available in 12-13-14-15 pitch. I tested the prototypes for that prop. Only difference we saw was 1-2 mph slower than the Yamaha. No motor height difference, no hole shot difference, nothing. All of the Trophy Sport 4 blade props run like about 1/2 pitch higher than they are marked. The 14 turns about like a 14 1/2 pitch and so forth.
PowerTech built a Yamaha imitation, their SCB line. That SCB line was about 3 mph slower than the Yamaha. So we stuck with the Yamaha. It has thinner blades than most other props on the market. I have one that is nearly 20 years old, still going strong. Yamaha must use superior stainless than most other prop manufacturers to run that thin a blade and for it to hold up as well as any other.
D
Old 05-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Like Paul said, LAM has the prop. Buy one, bolt it on and go. No additional work is needed on that prop.
I have tested several hundred props, none work as well for an all purpose prop as that Yamaha. I have some of the best 4 bladers on the market. Mercury built a line of props called the Trophy Sport. They are available in 12-13-14-15 pitch. I tested the prototypes for that prop. Only difference we saw was 1-2 mph slower than the Yamaha. No motor height difference, no hole shot difference, nothing. All of the Trophy Sport 4 blade props run like about 1/2 pitch higher than they are marked. The 14 turns about like a 14 1/2 pitch and so forth.
PowerTech built a Yamaha imitation, their SCB line. That SCB line was about 3 mph slower than the Yamaha. So we stuck with the Yamaha. It has thinner blades than most other props on the market. I have one that is nearly 20 years old, still going strong. Yamaha must use superior stainless than most other prop manufacturers to run that thin a blade and for it to hold up as well as any other.
D
ok that's great, I like it when I don't have to make choices (since I usually make wrong ones lol) I think im going to buy a Yamaha prop either way so if my motor turns out to be a minor fix i'll change props on it and sell the powertech SRD one I have now and hope I get a few more mph out of it. if the motor repair inspection comes back with bad news then its a new 40hp 4 stroke tohatsu with a Yamaha ss prop for it.

3 vs 4 blade prop - so as I understand it there really is no need to ever consider a 4 blade unless your outside the box of a regular use prop and trying to get ultimate maximum speed for racing or have a heavy barge to push or something like that then right?

Last edited by keakar; 05-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
If you get the motor from Lake Area Marine, they have the Yamaha prop you need for that motor. 14, 15 and 16 pitch.
Yea, what he said
Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

CC ive been kicking around the idea of getting a new alweld and 40 tohatsu 4stroke myself. but id want a 1652 with side console. how well do you think it would perform? but id still like to only use the 40hp so I can use the boat in lacassine if needed.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
CC ive been kicking around the idea of getting a new alweld and 40 tohatsu 4stroke myself. but id want a 1652 with side console. how well do you think it would perform? but id still like to only use the 40hp so I can use the boat in lacassine if needed.
Mid to upper 30's. I have a 1552 on the way, I like wide boats. The extra foot for the 16' will cost about 3-4 mph over a 15'.
D
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Ling

not bad at all
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Mid to upper 30's. I have a 1552 on the way, I like wide boats. The extra foot for the 16' will cost about 3-4 mph over a 15'.
D
Do you like the width for performance or comfort? Is your new one a tiller or remote steer?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I would be interested in setting up a 16x52 with a small flats style center console... seems like it could make a good all around boat
Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I would be interested in setting up a 16x52 with a small flats style center console... seems like it could make a good all around boat
I like that idea also! just not sure if there would be enough room on the sides of a center console.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
I like that idea also! just not sure if there would be enough room on the sides of a center console.
Something like this
Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Ling

yeah... I like that... those glass boats have walk around gunnels tho... that helps with the limited room.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Trophy Trout

I like the room of the wide boats and the fact that they float so shallow. I fish Lacassine when everyone else quits. This one will be a tiller, don't need the wheel for long runs anymore.
I did love my little side console, took ZERO rom out of the boat. My buddy has one without cutting the seat down, he kept his full bench, works just as well. Joe at Southside builds and installs them.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
well you need at least 18" wide for the center console and you would "like" to have at least 24" on each side so you can walk straight without turning to pass. that would bring you to 5 1/2" wide boat for comfort.

you could "make due" with only 18" on each side and that would put you at 54" total so a 56" wide hull will be good for center console use but you wouldn't want anything on the console so its easy to pass by leaning over it a little. in other words you want no rod holders or windshield in the way.

by the way, for reference your average desktop keyboard is 18" wide

my personal thoughts on center console boats is they need to be a minimum of 6ft width of inside floor space not to feel crowded
Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Red Snapper

ok, well the head is shot on my Suzuki df40 so I need a new motor.

that means Tuesday I'm off to go buy the tohatsu mfs40EFI and have them set it to the 50hp.

but I still don't understand exactly what they are doing that makes it change to a 50 hp
Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
ok, well the head is shot on my Suzuki df40 so I need a new motor.

that means Tuesday I'm off to go buy the tohatsu mfs40EFI and have them set it to the 50hp.

but I still don't understand exactly what they are doing that makes it change to a 50 hp
Remove the restrictor plate.
D
Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Remove the restrictor plate.
D
oh ok, I thought only the 2 strokes had the restrictor plates?

so that's all they have to do is remove a restrictor plate? what about the timing, do they have to reset the timing as well?

im looking to buy the MFS40 and have it converted to 50hp and it sounds like this is this something I can do myself in 5 minutes or do you have to let them do it for warranty stuff.

haven't asked the local dealer about it yet but just wondering in case the local dealer doesn't want to do it for some reason, or is this a routine standard practice all dealers do?

Last edited by keakar; 05-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
oh ok, I thought only the 2 strokes had the restrictor plates?

so that's all they have to do is remove a restrictor plate? what about the timing, do they have to reset the timing as well?

im looking to buy the MFS40 and have it converted to 50hp and it sounds like this is this something I can do myself in 5 minutes or do you have to let them do it for warranty stuff.

haven't asked the local dealer about it yet but just wondering in case the local dealer doesn't want to do it for some reason, or is this a routine standard practice all dealers do?
When I bought my boat at Lake Area Marine, I got the impression that they remove the restrictor plates on all engines when they are delivered to the shop.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
When I bought my boat at Lake Area Marine, I got the impression that they remove the restrictor plates on all engines when they are delivered to the shop.
Yep, what he said. This has been a practice used for decades on both 2 and 4 stroke motors. It cost the manufacturer about .25 to have a restrictor made, much cheaper than a different set of carbs or different reeds.
As for the timing, on the new 40/50 Tohatsu, the ecu will adjust enough for the additional air/fuel introduced when removing the restrictor. You do nothing but run it.
D
Old 05-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Red Snapper

thanks guys, I hope they have one in stock.

I called them Thursday for prices and I think he said they might have sold the last one he had on hand but he said he could always get one in a couple days if I needed it.

im hoping it can be ready quick so I can go do the break in on it by Friday or at least over the weekend. I'm tired of having a boat sitting in the yard I cant use since last October (long story )