SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

It was advertised as only having 49 hours..........got a pic of the ticker to prove it......
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Hmmmmm........quickie lower unit??? Those are nice!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Yea was it 49 once the guage was put on??????? I doubt that the motor had only 49 hours. If you believe that then....well never mind...need not say nothing more.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,832

Hey Dink, I hope you get your boat up and running soon without spending some major bucks....nothing worse than listening to the wife...yak, yak, yak....Goodluck..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Yea was it 49 once the guage was put on??????? I doubt that the motor had only 49 hours. If you believe that then....well never mind...need not say nothing more.
Man go take a hike if all you going to do is bash this man Get a frekin life
Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I am not bashing him. I feel bad for him or anyone else. A lot of people buy things and really do not check it out 100%. In the end, the dealer who he bought it from should man up and help him. Again if it was a carb Merc I am sure the motor is at least 5-8 years old or older would you agree. How many motors do you think that are that old have 49 hours on it. I think the dealer lied to him. I put on a hour meter several weeks after I bought my boat/motor and it shows 9.8 hours. Well I really have 18 more because I put it on when I brought it in for my 10-20 hour service. On new motors you can put the computer on it and get the acutal hours...hour meter on the boat means nothing. So do not act like I am bashing him. I have bought stuff in the past and got screwed just like everone else.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

sounds like burnt cylinder. hope not but sounds just like what happened to my merc. number 3 got hot burnt and siezed "no oil" couldnt start motor. all i got was a click from the soleniod. i was told after the cylinder cooled down it freed up and that is why it started again. ran like crap low rpms home. happened twice same motor same cylinder. after the second time i unbolted it in the canal. went yamaha and couldnt be more satisfied. optis are nice but id stay away from the verados
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I am not bashing him. I feel bad for him or anyone else. A lot of people buy things and really do not check it out 100%. In the end, the dealer who he bought it from should man up and help him. Again if it was a carb Merc I am sure the motor is at least 5-8 years old or older would you agree. How many motors do you think that are that old have 49 hours on it. I think the dealer lied to him. I put on a hour meter several weeks after I bought my boat/motor and it shows 9.8 hours. Well I really have 18 more because I put it on when I brought it in for my 10-20 hour service. On new motors you can put the computer on it and get the actual hours...hour meter on the boat means nothing. So do not act like I am bashing him. I have bought stuff in the past and got screwed just like everyone else.
You should have said this from the get go, from the seated jury it sure looked like you kicking a dead horse.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Dink I wouldn't want to be you at your house these days....I can just imagine the things my wife would say about my boat selection with the problems you are having. Don't fret though, the first one I bought had a cracked transom. The second one had a blown stringer on the first outing. The third one was stolen. The fourth one was taken by hurricane Katrina and I am on the fifth one now!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Dink I wouldn't want to be you at your house these days....I can just imagine the things my wife would say about my boat selection with the problems you are having. Don't fret though, the first one I bought had a cracked transom. The second one had a blown stringer on the first outing. The third one was stolen. The fourth one was taken by hurricane Katrina and I am on the fifth one now!
Man!!! Your boating life sounds like a bad country song!!!

Dink, these things happen and can happen to ANY manufactured piece of equipment. I don't give a damn if it's a Yamaha, Merc or Mercedes!! That's a fact. I have a friend with a Yamaha that is down at this very moment. $1500 to fix! It's hard to tell. And if a motor isn't making noise, no one is going to tear it down just to do inspection. The most they would have really been able to do is check compression and look at the oil in the lower unit.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

boat = B reak O ut A nother T housand
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

amen !!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I had a 200 Mercury offshore engine and never had anything major happen to it that cost over $200. It was right at 14 years old when I sold it.
It only had to get towed one time in all them years. I also had a 40 Mercury that had zero problems in 10 years. Rita took that one from me.
I now have a Yamaha because that is all that comes on the boat I liked and I have heard good things about Yamaha. But I have also heard a lot of good things about most 4 strokes made today.
In my opinion, the Mercury carburated engines were some of the best outboards made. Most of the commercial fishermen in Cameron used them until the 4 strokes came out.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Blue Marlin

My 40 Merc is awesome. It took a LOT of abuse this year while crawfishing and still runs like a top. The biggest thing I've had was a prop bushing and I don't think that qualifies as a real problem. If it does, $40 and out.

"Anything mechanical can and will fail, it's just a matter of when and how bad."~Author, Me.

The above is a line that I used frequently when I worked in GM Service.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I had the 3 cylinder, 2 cycle, Merc. 40 HP. motor.
The only issue I had was the little primer bulb on the motor got plugged up with trash and I had to change the prop out a couple times cause I ran in shallow water all the time. It was a duck hunting, alligator hunting and crabbing boat.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I had the 3 cylinder, 2 cycle, Merc. 40 HP. motor.
The only issue I had was the little primer bulb on the motor got plugged up with trash and I had to change the prop out a couple times cause I ran in shallow water all the time. It was a duck hunting, alligator hunting and crabbing boat.
That's what I run. I have heard rumor that they were designed aound the needs of crawfishermen. Could be myth but they sure as heck played out to be what was needed. 99% of Pierre Part is running those 40 Mercs.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,551

got one too...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
That's what I run. I have heard rumor that they were designed aound the needs of crawfishermen. Could be myth but they sure as heck played out to be what was needed. 99% of Pierre Part is running those 40 Mercs.
bad a$$ motors . I have one to. Ican almost run threw anything in the marsh with my setup.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

well,dont know about mercs too much,Ive only had 3 yammies,with never any problems. Oh yeah, I did have a little johnson one time(npi) until if fell off the transom in the river.Talk about leave you dead in the water.