SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486
Default For Mathgeek:My first gafftop

Grinded through about a dozen trout yesterday morning out of Dulac. My very first cast with a Mirrodine resulted in a hit that nearly took the rod out of my hands, then very briefly slack then heavy again. I had visions of a four+ trout hooked in the back of the head. And...it ended up as a two pound gafftop. Figured it twas to be so it went in the box. After it died I easily clipped off the three spines and it rested in the slush til the cleaning table.

It filleted easily with an electric knife, not a lot of yield, but pretty pink meat. A good amount of bloodline, but easily trimmed.

I didn't do a taste test, but kept an open mind, five hours after it was caught, very lightly seasoned it and bronzed it in some olive oil. Firm, white flesh, not in the least offensive, even with a little bloodline (or whatever you call it) remaining.

The verdict: It was fine, more firm than trout, perhaps not as tasty as drum or redfish, almost the consistency of a small cobia. I seasoned it very lightly because I wanted to TASTE the fish. I won't go as far as to say it was good, but am willing to try a blind taste test with some picky eaters next time with more thoughtful preparation and presentation, including deep frying.

If it wasn't for the slime and the spines and the unhooking with the treble hooks (I catch a good many on top waters and jerkbaits) I'd probably keep more if I caught more. The taste test will tell the tale, but I think it will work out well.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Thanks for the account and tast test. You gotta unhook them whether releasing them into the water or the box. You get more yield on the bigger ones. I think most of the ones we catch are 4-6 lbs.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

yep, them things are half head lol.

I don't keep em unless they are about 20"-24" because like you said, there aint much meat to em