SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 02-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 760
Default toledo bend reports

Any reports from Toledo bend lately? Going tomorrow with my step dad. Don't think the cool front we had last night changed water temps to much.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon29 View Post
Any reports from Toledo bend lately? Going tomorrow with my step dad. Don't think the cool front we had last night changed water temps to much.
Caught a ton of dinks shallow Friday 2/19 kept 5 (Texas and C-rig brush hogs mainly - windy points / flats). Kept 11 Sunday 2/21 (C-rigs, jerk bait, bed baits). Sunday there were quite a few bucks locked on beds, but only saw one big female and she was actually spawning with a male. Caught one female a little over 4 in about 20' real close to where we saw the bucks shallow. Depending on where you're fishing I'd expect the water to be more stained than usual. Had some serious wind the past 2 days along with the rain. I'm going with a friend tmrw also. I'm planning on hitting the same areas we saw the bucks bedding and go from there. This front should have pushed them back off, but with the moon like it is and the days still getting longer they may still be steadily moving up. I think that plays just as big of role as water temps sometimes. And if they did get pushed off the beds they didn't go far. If we can't see them shallow that sun should have them tight to whatever cover they will stage on/in. We'll probably end up flipping bushes or punching hay grass mats that have enough water depth under them if they've been pushed off the beds. The south end is starting to get some good grass in the middle of some spawning pockets, so they might burry up in that also with the clear skies. Last resort would be hitting points leading in to the pockets/creeks. I think these fish were jus the first wave of spawners, so you can absolutely still catch them staging deep.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Caught a ton of dinks shallow Friday 2/19 kept 5 (Texas and C-rig brush hogs mainly - windy points / flats). Kept 11 Sunday 2/21 (C-rigs, jerk bait, bed baits). Sunday there were quite a few bucks locked on beds, but only saw one big female and she was actually spawning with a male. Caught one female a little over 4 in about 20' real close to where we saw the bucks shallow. Depending on where you're fishing I'd expect the water to be more stained than usual. Had some serious wind the past 2 days along with the rain. I'm going with a friend tmrw also. I'm planning on hitting the same areas we saw the bucks bedding and go from there. This front should have pushed them back off, but with the moon like it is and the days still getting longer they may still be steadily moving up. I think that plays just as big of role as water temps sometimes. And if they did get pushed off the beds they didn't go far. If we can't see them shallow that sun should have them tight to whatever cover they will stage on/in. We'll probably end up flipping bushes or punching hay grass mats that have enough water depth under them if they've been pushed off the beds. The south end is starting to get some good grass in the middle of some spawning pockets, so they might burry up in that also with the clear skies. Last resort would be hitting points leading in to the pockets/creeks. I think these fish were jus the first wave of spawners, so you can absolutely still catch them staging deep.
Nice report! I'm heading there this weekend. I'm going try the edges of the haygrass in about 10-15 feet of water.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,210

Very nice report. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Flounder

We fished down south and seen plenty of beds that was clean, but no fish on them. We caught 1 male fish locked on a bed and that was it. All others came around the hay grass. We was using a jig flipping. We probably caught about 15 or so total but kept 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1207.jpg (80.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 02-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon29 View Post
We fished down south and seen plenty of beds that was clean, but no fish on them. We caught 1 male fish locked on a bed and that was it. All others came around the hay grass. We was using a jig flipping. We probably caught about 15 or so total but kept 8.
Nice! I'm supposed to be there now... as I type this sitting behind my desk..
I think my buddy's plan was to stay south today. I'll fill yall in on what he does.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Nice! I'm supposed to be there now... as I type this sitting behind my desk..
I think my buddy's plan was to stay south today. I'll fill yall in on what he does.
how did you buddy do today?