SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600
Default West Cove Marsh

Anyone get back into the marsh this weekend? Thinking of going tomorrow and wondered if there was enough water back there and if the water looked good...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022
Default Be aware of the boundries...

Just be careful you don't get caught on someone else's property. Lots of private property south of the cove. Just beware of who owns what. Just giving you a heads up.

BD
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Thought that was all Sabine Marsh?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGINJROB View Post
Thought that was all Sabine Marsh?
It's all Sabine refuge on the very west side of the cove. The only public cuts you can legally fish are the 3 on the north bank of the cove. Every cut on the south bank is owned by Apache. But, all the marsh bordering Oyster Lake is private owned or leased.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Thanks.. that's what I was referring to. Marsh off the W Cove canal
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 683

I know a person /company etc. can own or lease land or a land locked pond or lake but how can anyone own or lease free flowing water that belongs to everyone?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbass View Post
I know a person /company etc. can own or lease land or a land locked pond or lake but how can anyone own or lease free flowing water that belongs to everyone?
It's not the water ways they lease its the area in which the water ways travel that they lease...they set boundries and that area is private property just as if you would be on a duck lease or a deer lease. Except in Cameron parish they do not have to put up fence nor do they have to place posted signs. And they don't take "I didn't know" to kindly....but as a Padna of mine said "they'd have to catch me!!"j/j lmao
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Navigable waterways are different than man made canals.
Canals on private land are private property.
Navigable waterways are mostly natural rivers and lakes or some man made bodies of water like Toledo Bend and the Tenn/Tom Waterway, Erie Canal, Intercoaster Canal...

In La, the landowner has rights to the land all the way to the mean low water mark. So if the navigable waterway waters go over the land owners land, you cannot fish that water. In other states, you can fish the waters, no matter how far it goes onto private property.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

so what your saying is he just owns it to the low tide level?so say during high tide it went over his property and that was the only way to pass you couldnt?forgive me if that sounds stupid but im not familiar with la regulations just yet
Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Tripletail

In LA, you can actually put a gate across a waterway. Navigable or manmade. Lots of private marshes west of Hackberry have them. And to answer your question Cody, legally, you would be tresspassing. But, I'm sure if you were honest and just passing through, it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

oh wow thats ridiculous,i dont think ill have a problem with that i wont make it far enough out,i bet theyd make a killing if they took tolls lol
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Great White

There are a lot of gates across private canals on Black Bayou, but never seen one across a navigable waterway. That is not legal. You have to be able to navigate.
Only people who can cut off a navigable waterway is a gov't service. Not private individuals.
Maybe a natural waterway, but not a navigable waterway.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Great White

In the latest, and one of the most significant, challenges to angler access in recent years, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana has ruled that anglers do not have the state or federal common law right to fish and hunt on the Mississippi River up to the high-water mark when it floods privately owned land.
In Parm v. Shumate (Civil Action No. 01-2624), Normal Parm, Jr., and four others were fishing a section of the Mississippi River between the ordinary high- and low-water marks when the owner of the adjacent land, Walker Cottonwood Farms, contacted the local sheriff and had Parm arrested and charged with trespass.
The court found that although Walker Cottonwood Farms' privately owned property (the area between the ordinary low and ordinary high stage of water) is subject to public use because it is a bank of the Mississippi River, fishing and hunting were not among the permitted uses. Only those "activities that are incidental to the navigable character of the Mississippi River and its enjoyment as an avenue of commerce" are permitted.
This would include "all legitimate purposes of travel or transportation, for boating or sailing for pleasure, as well as for carrying persons or property for hire," but not for fishing or hunting. An appeal to the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is planned, and BASS, with the help of our partners in conservation, has taken a leadership role to protect your rights to fish on public waters.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

It pretty bad around leeville and grand isle marsh too.