SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837
Default Trailers with no paperwork

Every once in a while trailers are for sale with no paper work. If a guy were to buy one with no papers, and went to register and came back as reported stolen, wouldn't that make the buyer someone in possession of stolen goods, and arrested? I guess it makes sense to make the seller get the paperwork first before buying, aye?

Any experiences with this?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

as long as you have a bill of sale with the drivers license number of the guy selling it to you, they will just take the trailer away from you and you lose your money, then they go after him for possession and selling stolen goods not you.

now this only applies if you go get it registered right away (within a week or two) after purchase, if you hold onto it for a few months before doing the paperwork or get caught without it, the nyou are the one guilty of possessing stolen goods

bottom line is they have discretion and are not going to be jacks about it unless you try to hide something or you don't have proof of identity of who sold it to you.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

W/ no paper work it almost impossible to get it registered
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
W/ no paper work it almost impossible to get it registered
true, very time consuming.

you have to file a claim for ownership then wait months while they contact the last registered owner and if they have no objection to it being registered to you then after a set time period you will own it.

I wouldn't say impossible but its a slow time consuming process that depends on the last registered owner letting you have it, or waiting it out as an abandoned item that becomes yours by default after a set time for the last registered owner to come claim it
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

If its a brand manufactured trailer.. Somewhere on there will be a ID tag or plate on it.. with serial #, brand etc... If U find one.. Just run serial number... If none, i'd modify it little... Go to state police and they will issue u and stamp a serial number on it.

U can get a homemad
e trailer registration...
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Red Snapper

often they put the stickers inside on the back side of the front yoke so slide under there and see if its there.

last time I knew of someone doing a trailer with no paperwork, they could not claim home made unless they provided receipts for all the materials purchased to make it. but then im sure it depends on the guy who shows up to look at it and how strict they want to be.

after they had applied for ownership, they had to wait 30 days to allow for the registered owner to reclaim it, then they had to wait 30 days to be qualified for a new title under some sort of salvage item provision of an abandoned vehicle in your possession on your property.

as long as it doesn't come up stolen, I think you will be able to get paperwork on it, but of course, obviously don't do anything to it, or even put a boat on it, until you get a title in hand.

I would never recommend it, but to each his own so, I do know of a few guys who bought rotted out junk trailers for near nothing just to have trailer paperwork, then they used that paperwork, and stamped those numbers on trailers bought cheap without titles.

what type of trailer and budget are you looking for? we might be able to help you find something

Last edited by keakar; 07-17-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

I'm looking for a light trailer to modify and carry two kayaks. Think I'll just wait to fin good deal on one with title. One trip to dmv is all I can take.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Check these out it probably rust out in year but its cheap and you will have a title.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ires-5002.html
Old 07-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Red Snapper

this might do perfectly http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/5073653022.html
Old 07-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

OK guys, my Dad bought a tandem flatbed trailer from a friend of his, probably 20 years aog. the trailer has been abandoned in a field for many years. The friend died about 15 yrs ago. Very doubtful there was any paperwork passed on, this was just a transaction among friends. What are the chances of being able to register this trailer?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
OK guys, my Dad bought a tandem flatbed trailer from a friend of his, probably 20 years aog. the trailer has been abandoned in a field for many years. The friend died about 15 yrs ago. Very doubtful there was any paperwork passed on, this was just a transaction among friends. What are the chances of being able to register this trailer?
as I stated above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
last time I knew of someone doing a trailer with no paperwork, they could not claim home made unless they provided receipts for all the materials purchased to make it. but then im sure it depends on the guy who shows up to look at it and how strict they want to be.

after they had applied for ownership, they had to wait 30 days to allow for the registered owner to reclaim it, then they had to wait 30 days to be qualified for a new title under some sort of salvage item provision of an abandoned vehicle in your possession on your property.

as long as it doesn't come up stolen, I think you will be able to get paperwork on it, but of course, obviously don't do anything to it, or even put a boat on it, until you get a title in hand.