SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 08-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Variety, Empire

Had about an hour before the storms would hit us again today. If you have been following my posts both inshore and offshore you would know the massive rain we have been getting every day. We are getting 1-4 inches every day. I almost did not go because I figured dirty water every where. Launched and grabbed 1 bag of ice. Did not even see if anybody could hop on with me. Was going to be a short trip and not expecting anything. My expectations were confirmed.

The front was gonna get us soon. All the places I looked the water was dirty. I found several birds working but they were just feeding on what was churned up by the rough waters. Bay Adams, Drakes Bay, Empire Canal, and Buras Canal were all very dirty. The wind was not in my favor either. Trying to get some protection from the wind I rounded a point and found some cleaner water. This point has oysters right up to the grass and the first 3-5 feet out is exposed at extreme low tides. The tide was still moving in and there were signs of life. I put the power pole down and got out the gold spinner bait looking for a redfish or two. I find a lot of rat reds here. My first cast gets a hit but no hookup. Nice sign! The wind turned the boat and made my casting longer than I wanted.

My time would be short so I moved in more where I could be right in the choice place. A few more casts produce nothing. A splash about 10 feet from the boat gets my attention. Another series of splashes and the trout chasing the shrimp across the water wins the race. Life sucked for the shrimp and the trout sucked it down.

Looking the other way was not too bad but in this case turning the other cheek would not help. We were still going to get a storm. I switched to my old stand-by, Opening Night Terror Tail, and the first cast into the point produced a trout 11 1/2 inches. When I am doing this it is not about the fish it is about the fishing. Next cast miss, pop, pop, miss, pop, cork goes down, fish on. First keeper just barely.

Going through the trout 2 or 3 shorts to 1 keeper. Steady action. I try a black and chartruse terror tail for 3 casts nothing. I put on a white and chartruse bait somebody gave me to try. I made 6 casts with it and nothing.. Back to the old faithfull opening night and first cast another trout. Next cast another fish.

The ladyfish were there in the mix. Another fish of intrest almost had me for lunch.

This needle fish was not hooked but he hit the bait and with his mouth opened wide was not able to spit out the plastic bait. His teeth kept it from slipping out. Once I got the bait out it just laid there. I figured just pick it up by the tail and flip it out of the boat. NOT!!!!!! It snapped around and just missed my hand. It bit it's tail and did not let go. I should have taken a picture of that but I just wanted this monster off the boat. I grabbed it behind the head and threw it back in the water. Once in the water it let go of his tail breaking the circle it formed and swam away.

I also picked up a few (small) redfish and a croaker that I just threw back without a picture.

I was pushing the envelope on this trip. I still had to go around to the left of here, down a canal, and behind the land you are looking at all the way from the left past the far right. Before I could pull that off at 48 mph the 2 storms you see came together and the chop got to over 3 feet with zero visability. I was running by my gps and had a hard time seeing it. My face and glasses were getting pounded even when I slowed down and ducked behind the windshield.

Needless to say I got soaked again today. At least I have 5 keeper trout and some very relaxing fishing time. Was out about 1 hour and 15 minutes from launch back to home.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Nice post capt. Hoop
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 651

Capt. I'll be down in empire this weekend fishing with the WWH. Will you be there?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Nice job Capt. That DD Terror Tail is one of my favorites also. It can do some damage.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Saltysacalait

I may be there. I live on the same road hwy 11. My place is on the right Blue and white home and building. I will be in the WWH event out of Venice Marina the following week.

Garfish

I have found nothing that has it beat. I keep trying to come up with an alternative bait. Don't want to get into the habit of throwing live all the time.