SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849
Default Pole Barn Question for people that built/build pole barns

I am about to build my pole barn myself... 30x50. I was originally going to sink my treated posts 4' deep and concrete around, build my barn and come back and frame for my slab and pour a cement slab in the barn. I have talked to several people and read up on this some and it seems as though the posts are rotting, even in the cement as the posts shrink and then holds moisture. I am thinking now of pouring concrete footings and using galvanized brackets to anchor into the footings and connect my posts to the brackets... that way my posts are not in the cement but right on top and are anchored to the footing.

Has anyone done this? Or what is your thoughts?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

what about all of the wooden posts used for bulkheads/ fishing piers/ etc.....?

i think you will be fine.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
what about all of the wooden posts used for bulkheads/ fishing piers/ etc.....?

i think you will be fine.
They under water and mostly void of 02 . With the tide that's a problem that happens but not even close to what he's asking
Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Tripletail

isnt this the same concept as a wooden fence post?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

yea, same concept as wooden fence posts. I replace wooden fence posts it seems like every year which is why i originally started looking into this
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669
Default Pole Barn Question for people that built/build pole barns

If you are going to have a slab, why build a pole barn? Pole barns are meant to have no concrete. Steel frames are not that expensive in a 30x50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Look into post protectors. I have a 30 x 60 built by mitchell...They used treated posts with post protectors. The protectors are at least 1/8" plastic covering that goes up the post, they trimmed the protectors down to height right before the concrete was poured. I believed the posts are guaranteed over 25 years. The protectors are like a plastic sleeve that fits snugly on the post in the ground.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 AM
Redfish

Cash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
If you are going to have a slab, why build a pole barn? Pole barns are meant to have no concrete. Steel frames are not that expensive in a 30x50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking. Why not use steel and have a stronger building without the hassle?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

I built a pole barn exactly the way that you are describing. At first I was not going to pour a slab but later, before the barn was totally finished, I dug footings and poured the slab. I used real telephone poles, creosote. It's 25 years old now and from what I an tell, solid as a rock.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Look into post protectors. I have a 30 x 60 built by mitchell...They used treated posts with post protectors. The protectors are at least 1/8" plastic covering that goes up the post, they trimmed the protectors down to height right before the concrete was poured. I believed the posts are guaranteed over 25 years. The protectors are like a plastic sleeve that fits snugly on the post in the ground.

I have 2 friends who recently had pole barns put up. They both have that plastic wrap at the bottom up about 8" above the slab.

OP, Dig your holes, drop 1'-18" of gravel in it, set your treated poles with the plastic wrap then cement you will be fine. If your poles are below the water line you will have problems no matter what you put in the ground.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 837

I built pole barn 8 years ago. HATE IT. Wished I had spent the extra money on all steel like my father in law. Doesn't seal well against critters because builder didn't use a z-flashing (and didn't tell me it was an option), always have dirt inside the building from ants at the corner posts (i paid extra for plastic post guards), and I'm always concerned about the wood posts and how I'll fix them if they go bad, and I have a water leak at a corner. If I had gone all steel, would not have any worries.

If you go with a pole barn, DO use the plastic post guards, DO install z-channel, DO ensure they slope the concrete at the doors so rain doesn't flood you building, DO NOT use the foil insulation, DO use the 6 inch batting, DO make sure they install your Man Door properly so it does't leak and ROT. DO NOT Pay in full until you make sure all of the above are done to your satisfaction. I would not use the builder that starts with an M on I-10 on the west side of Lafayette.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcajun View Post
yea, same concept as wooden fence posts. I replace wooden fence posts it seems like every year which is why i originally started looking into this
this seems quite often... fence in my yard is 8+ years old and no issues.

built a barn the same as you described earlier, even poured slab after. this was 10+ years ago and it is fine..
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

Mallet Buildings will probably sell you there post. It comes with a 5' plastic sleeve on one end.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:26 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Couldn't you dip the posts in tar where they will be under ground?

I'd think a steel building would be cheaper though
Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,541

I am also getting prices on pole barn and steel. Reed's quoted me 15,500 on at 30X40X10 with 1 entry, 10X8 roll up,8X8 roll up and slab. the steel wasn't that much different in price. The price started at 13,500. The advertisement stated 12,999. I asked them why th price diffence and they stated metal had just suddenly went up.