SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334
Default 2004 Tahoe AC Problems

My AC blows really cold. Problem is sometimes I'm driving down the road and it just starts blowing hot air. If I turn the car off and back on it goes back to blowing cold air. I guess there is a valve or switch getting stuck. Is this something I should be worried about for things to come or is this an easy fix that I should get done now?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

I work with someone that also has this problem, looking forward to hearing an answer!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

We got about 5 chevy work trucks that do the same thing.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I wouldn't mess with it untill you HAVE to. If it's not bothering you, don't bother it.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

Try reving engine and see if a/c clutch engages. You might need to remove a shim or 2 from behind the clutch to help it engage. They tend to wear out with age and can't quite engage.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

After it quits blowing cold check to see if clutch is engaged. If not try tapping it while spinning and see if it engages it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 647

Mine does the same, but only the drivers side will blow hot air. I've read its a sensor failure thats located inside, above the passenger floor board area.

This and the broken speedometers are common problems
Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,493

It's a solenoid on the drivers side under the dash. It mostly happems on GM products from 2004 through 2007. The part can run anywhere from 65 to 120.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Flounder

Cash: 649

I experienced the same problem with a 2004 Yukon XL a couple of years ago. A/C cooling eventually completely malfunctioned. Dealership diagnosed it as a controller failure which was located behind dashboard. If I remember correctly the repair pretty much required removal of dashboard to replace controller. I think it was around a $500 repair! It was my wife's vehicle and although it was ready for replacement she couldn't decide on a replacement vehicle model so had it repaired.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeterbite View Post
I experienced the same problem with a 2004 Yukon XL a couple of years ago. A/C cooling eventually completely malfunctioned. Dealership diagnosed it as a controller failure which was located behind dashboard. If I remember correctly the repair pretty much required removal of dashboard to replace controller. I think it was around a $500 repair! It was my wife's vehicle and although it was ready for replacement she couldn't decide on a replacement vehicle model so had it repaired.
The controller is just a solenoid.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502

First post here, just wanted to share my experience with this same issue on my wife's 2004 Tahoe. The part you need is called an air actuator. I got one off amazon for $96 and it is very easy to change. (30 mins max). See this link for instructions ---->http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...s-hot-air.html

Here is a pic of the part and the AC Delco part number.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Mine does the same, but only the drivers side will blow hot air. I've read its a sensor failure thats located inside, above the passenger floor board area.

This and the broken speedometers are common problems

You are right! I have no idea how fast I am going. Damn speedometer been out for a while. Any cheap easy fixes for this!

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGINJROB View Post
You are right! I have no idea how fast I am going. Damn speedometer been out for a while. Any cheap easy fixes for this!

Thanks
Search it on YouTube. It's a plastic gear that strips. The gear can likely be found online and, replacement is relatively easy. The GM dealer is going to want to replace the entire cluster which is not only expensive but, time consuming.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Search it on YouTube. It's a plastic gear that strips. The gear can likely be found online and, replacement is relatively easy. The GM dealer is going to want to replace the entire cluster which is not only expensive but, time consuming.

Exactly what GM told me. Replace the whole thing. Thank god for my GPS with all the speed cameras around lafayette.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGINJROB View Post
Exactly what GM told me. Replace the whole thing. Thank god for my GPS with all the speed cameras around lafayette.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.-BO195y1Tqk
Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't get right View Post
First post here, just wanted to share my experience with this same issue on my wife's 2004 Tahoe. The part you need is called an air actuator. I got one off amazon for $96 and it is very easy to change. (30 mins max). See this link for instructions ---->http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...s-hot-air.html

Here is a pic of the part and the AC Delco part number.

THIS ^^^
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

About a 50/50 shot on whether its a worn out clutch coil assembly on the A/C comp or a drivers side temp. actuator. Both are problems that we see a lot. As previously stated, if it starts blowing hot air and the compressor clutch is not engaged try bumping it with a broom handle or something like that. If that engages it then your compressor needs to be changed. If that doesn't help try putting a jumper wire between the terminals of the plug on the cycling switch. Its on your accumulator located near the fire wall on the passenger side of the engine compartment. If the comp. starts going after that replace the cycle switch. Fairly common problem but not as much as the first two mentioned. If those don't work its most likely the drivers temp actuator if you have dual temp controls. Its located on the lower part of Evap core/Heater core assembly behind the dash. It is just above the passengers side of the transmission hump. You'll need a 5.5mm socket for the screws and a 7mm socket to remove the kick panel that is covering the actuator. Heaven help ya if you ever gota do the passenger side actuator. I'll just say it wasn't one of GM's better ideas. John
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Hope that helps you man. It costs a lot to fix cars now days. That's how we put food on the table around here. Never have and never will have a problem with a workin man with good hands tryin to save a buck by doing it himself.. Everything is run by onboard computers now days and its hard to give advice a lot of the times but I hope this gives you some places to start.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Tripletail

Think I will try the AC fix bit that display video looks to be way outta my league. Guess I will roll with the Garmin for a while.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

You've done the simple things of checking the play in the belts? That be where I'd start. I'm no mechanic but if they were loose then it wouldn't allow the proper voltage to the compressor to kick on and off. And it makes since you been divining awhile u gotta belt loose or worn working overtime until It can't anymore then when u shut off the vehicle everything is back to square one. I'm sure u have but just a thought