SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193
Default Holier Than Tho People

Went to a friends house for dinner last night and another friend of his was over also. The other friend was zeroing a 300win mag while he was there. We got to talking and he said anything less than a 300 mag was too weak for shooting deer. He said a 300mag will make up for a bad shot while a lighter cartridge will amount to a lost deer. In fact he was bragging about how he shot a running deer at 200yrds and hit it in the hindquarter and only found it because he used a 300mag. Had I not been at my friends house I would have spoke my mind and told the guy he shouldn't rely on a cartridge to make up for him taking crap shots at deer.
Later that evening he also informed me that Redfish are the crap of the ocean.
You're not fishing unless its trout or tuna. According to him.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

DON'T Be that guy!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Was he wearing Costas and, a Columbia shirt?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I guess a bow is completely inadequate also...them guys.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Salt Life and white Costas
Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Was this guys name Louis by chance?
Regardless, what a ff KK nn deusch!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
DON'T Be that guy!
I wont be for sure. We fish the beach from the surf and it makes us happy and puts fish in the freeze. Some might say that low class or white trash fishing and im fine with that. My family has fun and I put 40lbs of red fillets in the freezer this past weekend. I can take our jon boat and fill an ice chest with bluegills with my family 5 miles from our house this spring.
I have a 18yr old daughter and a 15 son that still loves catching a mess of bream with mom and dad. That's heaven on earth to me. If some folks wana call me simple or white trash more power to em.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I feel your pain. I don't deer hunt much, but when I do it's only with a Winchester 94 30-30 with original sites. I haven't missed a deer yet, and have a 12 point to show. I've gotten those preachings from a couple folks about how I need a real gun because the range is so short with the 94. To each his own.

I'm not saying I won't own a gun that has the capability like that, I like guns of all shapes and sizes - I'm just a young guy that prefers the old school challenge. This country was built on that gun, and if they could be proficient back in the day, so can I.

"If I can't get it, it can't be got"
Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Your catch is not the prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I wont be for sure. We fish the beach from the surf and it makes us happy and puts fish in the freeze. Some might say that low class or white trash fishing and im fine with that. My family has fun and I put 40lbs of red fillets in the freezer this past weekend. I can take our jon boat and fill an ice chest with bluegills with my family 5 miles from our house this spring.
I have a 18yr old daughter and a 15 son that still loves catching a mess of bream with mom and dad. That's heaven on earth to me. If some folks wana call me simple or white trash more power to em.
Duckman, it does not matter what you caught on these trips, what you fished from or out of. Your prize was being with your family and enjoying each other.

Yes, it is great to catch/kill our limits, but I think too many times we miss the "real" fun of our times in the outdoors.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Don't even go there!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMade View Post
Duckman, it does not matter what you caught on these trips, what you fished from or out of. Your prize was being with your family and enjoying each other.

Yes, it is great to catch/kill our limits, but I think too many times we miss the "real" fun of our times in the outdoors.
I really admire the guys with nice bay boats or bigger boats that have boxes of specks or other fish. I love the pics from those guys. I do plan on going on a guided trip with my son next year but for now we are perfectly happy fishing the surf. Wife and daughter don't like deep water so we fish the surf and the reds are plentiful. Everyone has a great day
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

I am 100 percent white oil field tell ur friend if he makes us mad we will shut in some wells and jump gas to 5 dollars a gallon this country lives off our white trash.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

I had it explained to me very quickly one day by a guy i now call a true friend.

First of all, i'm no expert in shooting rifles, the one i shoot is my grandfathers brothers .30-06 that was used as a snipers rifle in WWII. Well, i notice he is shooting a .25-06 with a 100 gr. bullet. We get into a discussion of my .30-06 160gr vs. .25 - 06 with a 100gr bullet. My point was "not a lot of knock down power". His point was "you dont need it when you know where you are going to hit it".

I then proceeded to watch a 348yrd shot on a doe and she fell like a sack of rocks. He looked at me before and said "I'm gonna shoot her high so she doesn't run" He lifted the gun and about 1.5 seconds later...BANG! Down she goes.

On another day, i proceeded to watch a 312 yrd shot to a doe in the head after I missed it!.

Once back at the camp, i ask my buddy what the heck and he informs me he could have been a sniper in the Marines but chose not to get screwed up in the head!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

id have to say shot placement is the key! a big caliber will help you if u cant hit the broad side of a barn
Old 12-09-2013, 12:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Elitism can be positive or negative. Everyone is entitled to their elitist views and tendencies when choosing what sports to pursue and how to pursue them. I'm glad that other sportsman have the right to pursue deer with 300 Win Mags and chase trout in 50k bay boats with only artificial lures. I'm glad that the sporting regulations allow for fly anglers and long bow hunters. I hope they derive great pleasure from their sporting preferences and I hope they spend a lot of quality time passing these pleasures and experiences on to their children and sharing them with friends.

Where elitism goes wrong is when the elitists attempt to enforce their preferences upon others either through the power of law or by arguing that other preferences are somehow less sporting, not fair chase, or unsustainable. These lines of thinking play into the "divide and conquer" strategies of the animal rights activists who hope to gradually whittle away at hunting and fishing rights until one day when our grandchildren wake up to find that hunting is banned and the only allowed fishing is catch and release under the expensive and watchful eye of public servants.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Someone speaking in absolutes is usually a good sign that they are full of s ****
Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Elitism can be positive or negative. Everyone is entitled to their elitist views and tendencies when choosing what sports to pursue and how to pursue them. I'm glad that other sportsman have the right to pursue deer with 300 Win Mags and chase trout in 50k bay boats with only artificial lures. I'm glad that the sporting regulations allow for fly anglers and long bow hunters. I hope they derive great pleasure from their sporting preferences and I hope they spend a lot of quality time passing these pleasures and experiences on to their children and sharing them with friends.

Where elitism goes wrong is when the elitists attempt to enforce their preferences upon others either through the power of law or by arguing that other preferences are somehow less sporting, not fair chase, or unsustainable. These lines of thinking play into the "divide and conquer" strategies of the animal rights activists who hope to gradually whittle away at hunting and fishing rights until one day when our grandchildren wake up to find that hunting is banned and the only allowed fishing is catch and release under the expensive and watchful eye of public servants.

Man you have a way with words!
Great read!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Should've told him you use rocks.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
I had it explained to me very quickly one day by a guy i now call a true friend.

First of all, i'm no expert in shooting rifles, the one i shoot is my grandfathers brothers .30-06 that was used as a snipers rifle in WWII. Well, i notice he is shooting a .25-06 with a 100 gr. bullet. We get into a discussion of my .30-06 160gr vs. .25 - 06 with a 100gr bullet. My point was "not a lot of knock down power". His point was "you dont need it when you know where you are going to hit it".

I then proceeded to watch a 348yrd shot on a doe and she fell like a sack of rocks. He looked at me before and said "I'm gonna shoot her high so she doesn't run" He lifted the gun and about 1.5 seconds later...BANG! Down she goes.

On another day, i proceeded to watch a 312 yrd shot to a doe in the head after I missed it!.

Once back at the camp, i ask my buddy what the heck and he informs me he could have been a sniper in the Marines but chose not to get screwed up in the head!
Killed a few deer with that rifle...not much to look at bullet wise but gets the job done! One of my great uncles in Alabama uses a .22 hornet all about shot placement
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

I shoot a 30-06 99% of the time with 150 grain bullets.
A. That's the gun I am used to.
B. I shoot everything in the head or neck. Deer or hogs
C. I like being able to shoot a hog at 300+ yards, (don't normally shoot deer more then200)

D. Wish I had a 25-06 cause I would shoot it and carry it instead of my 30-06