SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
that's hilarious...sprint and verizon are one in the same. they share the same network. and att/tmobile/alltell are the same but on GSM, it would be more logical to switch from sprint/verizon to att/alltell/tmobile... how do i do know this? because i have a rooted htc evo on SPRINT but use Verizon towers mainly....another perk of rooting. pow
ok if this is the case and I root my EVO and I connect to Verizon towers do I gain 4g coverage where Verizon offers it and will it correct the crappy reception I am gettin asfar as droped and scratcy calls? This is the reason I plan to leave Sprint is the piss pore callin sevice I am getting. I can be in an area and show 4-5 bars on my phone and it wont call out or it will be very scratchy.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

After Rita, you couldn't use ATT, Verizon or Centennial in the southern part of Cameron Parish.
That is why I switched to Sprint. I was down there on my days off for over a year and had to have some coverage.
Verizon did furnish a big truck/trailer for folks down there to use their phone and internet to get in touch with family and friends, for free. But service sucked anywhere but the town of Cameron.
There might be gooder service down there now, but not then.
I am starting to get tired of Sprints dropped calls and bad static. If it don't clear up soon, Ray and family are moving to Verizon.
Centennial had zero dropped calls in the 10 years I had them, but they didn't have service in Cameron/Creole/Grand Chenier after Rita. And the biggest thing is their customer service in the Lake Charles offices was worser than anything I ever experienced in my lifetime. I would never go back to them, even though they were taken over by ATT.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I still don't understand the whole concept of rooting a phone that you can basically do anything you want with.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
ok if this is the case and I root my EVO and I connect to Verizon towers do I gain 4g coverage where Verizon offers it and will it correct the crappy reception I am gettin asfar as droped and scratcy calls? This is the reason I plan to leave Sprint is the piss pore callin sevice I am getting. I can be in an area and show 4-5 bars on my phone and it wont call out or it will be very scratchy.
im not sure about the 4g, because sprint's 4g uses the wiimax radio, to log onto wiimax/clear 4g networks. 3g works fosho, and i've gotten triple speed test compared to sprint's 3g. try updating your PRL and data profile...go in settings, SYSTEM UPDATES__UPDATE PRL==UPDATE DATA PROFILE...see if that helps
Old 06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Tripletail

also, if yall having problems with sprint in the southern =western part of the lou.....turn on roaming, by default it chooses sprint.but if you're on the simply everything plan, or any unlimited plan, roaming's free
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
im not sure about the 4g, because sprint's 4g uses the wiimax radio, to log onto wiimax/clear 4g networks. 3g works fosho, and i've gotten triple speed test compared to sprint's 3g. try updating your PRL and data profile...go in settings, SYSTEM UPDATES__UPDATE PRL==UPDATE DATA PROFILE...see if that helps
I did updates afew weeks ago but will check agin, I have also noticed that regardless of what I try my phone wont run youtube very well,cuts on and off or tells me failed connection, were as my buddy has Verizon and his plays non-stop. Sprint seems to have alot of bugs in their system that they cant figure out how to fix and as the phones get so called smarter Sprint gets worse but it seems AT&T is fightin the same problem with high end phones. A guy I work with talked to AT&T and was told that when towers load up the first phones droped were smart phones.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Swordfish

The Sprint issue must be something on that end of the state because I've been having my EVO since it first came out and have had 0 problems with them. I've gone everywhere from Dauphin Island, AL to Corpus Christi, TX with it and never had an issue with dropped calls or scratchy connections.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
The Sprint issue must be something on that end of the state because I've been having my EVO since it first came out and have had 0 problems with them. I've gone everywhere from Dauphin Island, AL to Corpus Christi, TX with it and never had an issue with dropped calls or scratchy connections.
yea, back during the oil spill, i had 3g from rigolets, all in lake p, lake borgne, and had call reception all the way out to cat island. now as far as going offshoreo, **** cut out on me on the way to the boat (15 minutes ) before i got to Cameron.

yet fourchon, leesville,larose, has killer sprint 3g....like retarded fast.i probably lose call reception a mile out from fourchon
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
I think you could be right, I talked to Sprint a month ago and was told they know that they have a problem but dont know how to fix it. When I go to TX it seems like it does get better but the problem is I live in Lake Charles are and it is crap here.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
I think you could be right, I talked to Sprint a month ago and was told they know that they have a problem but dont know how to fix it. When I go to TX it seems like it does get better but the problem is I live in Lake Charles are and it is crap here.
Ahh, I gotcha. That sucks then, especially if they don't know what's going on.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,493

Quote:
Exactly, It started when they started building out the 3G on this side of the state!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
lake charles with the gun bridge?lol
Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Exactly, It started when they started building out the 3G on this side of the state!
Paul do you notice your internet running any faster since we recived 3g in our area? I could be wrong or maybe I have a phone issue but I dont see any better internet with the 3g then before we got it here and some guys say that 3g is faster then thier home computer and I don't see that either.

I checked all updates and there was nothin new.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Angry birds..
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Paul do you notice your internet running any faster since we recived 3g in our area? I could be wrong or maybe I have a phone issue but I dont see any better internet with the 3g then before we got it here and some guys say that 3g is faster then thier home computer and I don't see that either.

I checked all updates and there was nothin new.
No difference in speed at all! NONE!

Sent from my EVO
Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
No difference in speed at all! NONE!

Sent from my EVO
I know you been travelin the state alittle here latley, do you see any speed change anywhere you go? I think we are being strung alone on this side and its not gettin better.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

Verizon 4g and Sprint 4g are totally different animals. Wimax versus lte. AT&T network allows voice and data at the same time which is one of the reasons heavy data usage in an area affects voice calling on their network. Sprint and Verizon aren't impacted in the same way.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know you been travelin the state alittle here latley, do you see any speed change anywhere you go? I think we are being strung alone on this side and its not gettin better.
The east side of the state is somewhat faster. From here to Shreveport there is no difference al all. This side of the state was switched on all at the same time, north and south. The west side was to be upgraded first but with the BP oil spill Sprint decided (rightly so) to build out the east side first. My guess is the money is tight and they used inferior quality equipment or the contractor doing the upgrade skipped class when they were teaching Upgrade 101!

Sent from my EVO
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

I can say that the Sprint 4G in Texas (houston and cc) is incredibly fast. When I'm there staying in a hotel, I connect my laptop through my phone (hot spot) because the 4G is way faster than the hotel WiFi!

Sent from my EVO
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I can say that the Sprint 4G in Texas (houston and cc) is incredibly fast. When I'm there staying in a hotel, I connect my laptop through my phone (hot spot) because the 4G is way faster than the hotel WiFi!

Sent from my EVO
Maybe I need to look into the sprint/verizon deal, maybe that would fix our calling problems.

Does the phone have to be rooted in order to work on verizon towers or is it an easy change?