SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default (Red) Drum Kabobs

My wife made bull red drum kabobs for dinner - awesome. She had white nectarine pieces in between the fish chunks and used a honey mustard glaze. They might have been even better grilled, but due to a propane situation, she popped 'em into the oven instead.

We've used black drum also for these also. Properly trimmed, the meat is very good.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,335

Sounds delicious!
You must live really close to good fishing.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM
King Mackeral

One of the worst days of my life was when we moved from Lake Charles to Metairie on March 1, 1979. We went from great fishing to mediocre in a heartbeat. I'm not yet as close as I'd like to be from Calcasieu Pass or Grand Isle, but I'm close enough to make the drive several times a year. We recently stayed in the LC area for a couple of weeks and fished the Calcasieu Pass Jetties (also called the Cameron Jetties) from our little 16' aluminum boat. (I'm eyeing a 20' Lund Alaskan.) We managed to put 22 bull reds in the boat on five trips to the jetties, along with about a dozen gafftops each trip, including a few that should make the LA record books once the paperwork is approved. We usually catch as many drum as we do redfish, but we only caught three bull drum this trip.

If I lived in Metairie, I would fish Grand Isle a lot, and probably figure out the best traffic patterns to get to the Rigolets quickly. There's a lot of good info online about fishing the Rigolets productively. Lake Pontchatrain was poor fishing in the 1980s when I lived there. I hear it's better now, but we have not tried it yet.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Lake P is a good fishery but for trout it is a place that you must learn. Reds , better to fish the marsh south of the lake. Might look in to learning hopedale or cocodrie
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Lake P is a good fishery but for trout it is a place that you must learn. Reds , better to fish the marsh south of the lake. Might look in to learning hopedale or cocodrie
I decided long ago it's easier to spend a couple hours in the truck driving to a place I know than day after day learning to fish new areas where the rules of the game change seasonally.

We might give Lake P a try trolling the causeway because we're already good at trolling.