SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607
Default Houston Bound - Goodbye Louisiana

Well, tonight will be my little family's last night in our home in Broussard. This is the first house that I ever purchased and it is the home that my wife and I started our family in when we brought home our 19 month old daughter. We have a lot of great memories in this house, and if it was up to me I would not be leaving.

I earned a promotion at work, which is something I have been working towards for a while. The only drawback (and it's a BIG ONE) is that the position is in Houston.

Even though I never wanted to, or thought that I would never have to live anywhere but South LA, much less a HUGE city like Houston, I didn't hesitate to say yes when my employer asked me if I would make the move to Houston. I know that I am blessed to have a job in the current economy, much less be recieving a promotion.

It's been a pretty emotional month since I accepted the new position, not only for my wife and me but for my parents and inlaws, too. My 19 month old daughter knows something is going on but she has no idea that tonight is the last night she will ever sleep in her house and that she is about to go from seeing her grandparents 3 times a week to seeing them 1 or 2 times a month.

That is what I am struggling with the most, and I know that is what is eating up my parents too.

I know people move away from their home town all of the time, but it seems to be less common in south Louisiana. I think it's because of how important family life is in the Cajun culture.

I never really post personal stuff on Salty Cajun. I hope no one feels like they wasted their time reading this. I was hoping to get some words of advice or encouragement from experience about moving my family away from relatives and also about living in Houston.

We are renting a new house in the Northeast Richmond area, to the Northwest of Sugarland. I know there are a ton of things to do in a city as big as Houston, which is what everyone tells me to get me excited about the move.

To me though, it won't be "home" and I won't be able to drive 10 minutes down the road to visit with my parents or other relatives.

But, at least I will have my girls with me (wife and daughter) and as I said I am very blessed to have a job bc I know a lot of good, hard working men are out of work in this tough economy.

If anyone who has any experience moving away from their home town or living in the Houston area would share any advice or encouragement it would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

No word of advise, just saying good luck to you on your new adventure..
Old 09-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

I have never had to move farther than 85 miles 21 years ago. Landed here in small town Kinder so no comparison. But from your read I can say you sound like a great guy and a strong family man. I'm sure all will work out great.

Best wishes to you and your family with the transitition.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

just cause youre moving doesnt mean you cant move back one day. Good luck over there
Old 09-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUS2F-IPjI
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Best of luck to you in your new career!

Houston isn't that far away.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
lmao!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Funny stuff! And a good point too.
That's the frame of mind I will make sure to focus on going forward.

I appreciate all of the replies from everyone.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Mako I had the same decision about 10 years ago. My family is very close to me and it was hard on my mother. Looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Of course I still miss Louisiana and visit as often as I can but this was better for my family and it may be for yours as well. All of us la boys hope to eventually come back home permantley but you have to do what you have to do for now. There are some good folks in houston. I'm personally not a huge fan of the area you are moving to but we can talk more offline if you would like. Good luck with the move, la will always have your heart but you can make a very good life for your family in the concrete jungle.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

i know you hate to leave SE Louisiana, but it's not the end of the world. the richmond/rosenberg area is located really close to a huge coastal fishery. you will be within 2 hrs of galveston, freeport, matagorda and pt o'conner and corpus aren't much further. hate that you have to leave your home but in time you'll make it back and in the mean time------enjoy the Tx coast, you'll meet some great folks.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Redfish

Cash: 843

I'll bet a year from now you will not regret your choice! I lived in Kingwood (northeast side) and raised both my kids there before transferring several times. My wife and kids and I are all very close because we never lived near our families so we did everything together! As stated before, Houston isn't too far away! One word of caution, if you come home each day from work talking about how bad you miss Louisiana then your wife and daughter will feed off this negitivity. Stay positive and keep your homesick thoughts to yourself! Good Luck
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49 View Post
I'll bet a year from now you will not regret your choice! I lived in Kingwood (northeast side) and raised both my kids there before transferring several times. My wife and kids and I are all very close because we never lived near our families so we did everything together! As stated before, Houston isn't too far away! One word of caution, if you come home each day from work talking about how bad you miss Louisiana then your wife and daughter will feed off this negitivity. Stay positive and keep your homesick thoughts to yourself! Good Luck
Very good advice.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Left LA to live and work in Houston for a couple of years (now back in school in Lafayette). Lived in the Heights but worked in field out near Boling, Needville, and Damon. That area is really pretty and actually reminds me a lot of LA. Good fishing nearby, dove and duck hunting is pretty decent also. I don't think I ever went to a location around there without seeing some deer, ducks, or other critters.
You're in a good area around Rosenberg and should be able to find some good fishing and hunting.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 669

I made the same move. Personally I dislike it, but it was a wise career move. After about two years the new wears off and it becomes a grind. Send me a PM and I can hook you up with some places to bird hunt if that's your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Now you have to learn to keep the throttle pinned in small bayous and canals when crossing other boats set up fishing. Maybe that doesn't happen if you keep the LA reg numbers on the hull; seems like it is a given with TX numbers....just sayin'
Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

It's great to have a close family support system and to be comfortable in the way you live, but sometimes its good to make a move/change and help refocus or find your family's identity without the weighing factors of others. Set a timeline to be there and commit to enjoying yourself in a new place and finding out what the area has to offer. At the end of the timeline, gather up your thoughts and feelings and make the best decision for your family, yourself, and your career. Enjoy yourself, it would be a tragedy to loathe when a great opportunity could be at your families fingertips.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Its hard, but you are doing what is best for your family. You can always come back. They also have good public schools in Houston.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Its hard, but you are doing what is best for your family. You can always come back. They also have good public schools in Houston.
Not in Houston but the surrounding areas, yes. HISD is not good.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

If you have good friends in La. you will have good friends in Houston. It is not them, but "you" that makes the difference. Trust me on this because I've lived in 7 different states & have good friends in all of them.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Good luck Mako, you're doing what is best for your family.