SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 02-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959
Default New invention for fish cleaning

Saw this and thought some of you who catch reds and sheepshead might be interested: http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...es_cleani.html
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

That's a $10 blade on a $70 Sawzall I could modify the blade in 15 minutes and he's selling it for $175. You can also just use a regular 12" 18 TPI blade to clean fish too. This isn't new, people have been using them for at least 20 years.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,065

Not sure where you are finding the Dexter Blades he is using for $10 but please share.
He took the initiative to fit blade, put togather the package and market it, $175 sounds like a fair price to me. I checked on getting one and may end up getting one.
They are great for guides or someone who cleans a lot of redfish or sheepshead. What worries me is for weekend fisherman they might be dangerous one slip and lose a finger or a hand. Also think you lose a lot of meat that is not lost using a old fashion hand knife.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 888

I have one and it's amazing for sheeps and reds. Took me about 6 fish to get use to it but now I'm good to go. After a night of Bowfishing or rod n reel day trip 6-8 limits of reds and 30-40 sheeps it will cut down your cleaning time. These blades are not 10 for sure. If you get them for 10.00 please share.

Sent from the baddest GYM in La
Old 02-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex View Post
Not sure where you are finding the Dexter Blades he is using for $10 but please share.
He took the initiative to fit blade, put togather the package and market it, $175 sounds like a fair price to me. I checked on getting one and may end up getting one.
They are great for guides or someone who cleans a lot of redfish or sheepshead. What worries me is for weekend fisherman they might be dangerous one slip and lose a finger or a hand. Also think you lose a lot of meat that is not lost using a old fashion hand knife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
I have one and it's amazing for sheeps and reds. Took me about 6 fish to get use to it but now I'm good to go. After a night of Bowfishing or rod n reel day trip 6-8 limits of reds and 30-40 sheeps it will cut down your cleaning time. These blades are not 10 for sure. If you get them for 10.00 please share.

More durable than a Dexter Blade and $9.06 a piece and if you feel the need to cut a 2x4 while you fileting a fish you can, this guy didn't reinvent the wheel, he took a blade and retrofitted it to fit on a hand held sawzall. People have been doing this for years.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Trophy Trout

I didn't see where anyone said he reinvented the wheel, and with 9 guides on street of the canal none of us heard of it. Must be only in your area. But glad to know now and someone is letting people know.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,097

Guess Mr. Messenger looks at youtube, This was posted 3 years ago... Nice invention!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pjfNQDucQ

I use a regular fixed blade on redfish, its faster and more efficent. If the technic is correct, you don't have to waste your money on electric knives for Reds and Sheepshead.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,065

He never said he invented it! He did fit a 9" Dexter Blade to it though one of the best fillet blades out their.

Don't understand why you guys would have problem with it and I have no horse in this race do not know him, do not own one. He is trying to make a few dollars for his trouble. I do not see what the issue with that. Unless its just yall did not think of it.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,097

Quote:
He never said he invented it! He did fit a 9" Dexter Blade to it though one of the best fillet blades out their.

Don't understand why you guys would have problem with it and I have no horse in this race do not know him, do not own one. He is trying to make a few dollars for his trouble. I do not see what the issue with that. Unless its just yall did not think of it.
Check out the link above, Uses the Dexter Knife as well.

Like I said, I don't use electric knives for anything other than trout. Fixed blade does a great job and saves meat as well. I was just pointing out that the Exact Same item is shown on youtube years before this article
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Question: when using reciprocating saw on deer or fish, how do you keep the receiver (where blade connects to tool) clear of debris (guts and sht)?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

This is not new
Been having those down here at Heberts for 5 or more years
And you can make them cheaper like stated above
I actually use a mister twister blade right side
Just cut to fit
Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Same as W. I have a dexter and a mister twister right side. Either one is fine.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959

I didn't mean to upset anyone by posting this article. I just thought it was interesting and figured someone else might also find it interesting. I'm sure it may have been tried out before this article was posted, but I had never seen it before now. Feel free to ignore this post if you have already seen it posted. If you have not seen it before, hope you find it to be just an interesting article like I did.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

Quote:

Those big lake folks are just butt hurt because they get tired seeing the Dularge and Dulac boys post pictures of limits and happy customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
Those big lake folks are just butt hurt because they get tired seeing the Dularge and Dulac boys post pictures of limits and happy customers.

Lol ^^^^ nice job sir

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post

Lol dem sheepheads and drum limits killing us over here lol

Packing up now !! Dulac bound
Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetaline View Post
I didn't mean to upset anyone by posting this article. I just thought it was interesting and figured someone else might also find it interesting. I'm sure it may have been tried out before this article was posted, but I had never seen it before now. Feel free to ignore this post if you have already seen it posted. If you have not seen it before, hope you find it to be just an interesting article like I did.
All I was saying about the artical is these guides on east side of state are now all acting like they invented something new that has never been seen before .

If I was a betting man I would put money that someone 1st saw it down here on big lake .. As we have been using them for years

And side note : I don't use mind very often unless I get into some big reds because these things can cut your fingers or hand quick... Lots of power behind them
Old 02-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Swordfish

I'll put it this way. When the Krewe of Hercules Started their Rodeo 20 years ago, they were using Sawzalls to clean fish for the Sunday Fish Fry.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Use my Husqavauna 460 with a 24" bar for fish from bass size up to bull reds. Use my Husqavauna 350 with 18" bar for sacs and blue gills.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

DC

Can I see pic.'s of your??? I want 1.. After reading the article..I was wondering the same thing.. He must have used a lathe to fashion the sawed off Dexter blade so the saws all would accept it and lock in place.. $175 for a saws-all and the knife blade is a little steep in my humble opinion...He's probably making double what it cost him to have them made..If he can sell a few more power to him. I can buy a whole lot of knifes for $175...

I've always believed that I could fillet reds and trout with a very sharp fillet knife faster and get a better fillet by doing it with a simple very sharp fillet knife.

I've seen lots of knifes and electric knifes.. NEVER the Saws all..