SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534
Cheers Am I forgetting anything ?

OK guys, as some of ya'll may already know. I will be heading down to New Orleans August 12th-16th to do some fishing. Im bringing my boat. Im wondering if im forgetting anything? Here's what i have so far to make the trip with.
1) Extra set of bearings for the axles on the boat
2) Mini grease gun
3) Folding 4-way lug wrench
4) Roll on jack (for flat tire)

Any thing extra you guys carry for such a long road trip? How often do ya'll stop to re-grease the bearings?

I will be traveling from DeRidder to Belle Chasse. It normally takes us 5 hrs with traffic. Im thinking 7+ with boat. Please add your input. Thanks guys !
Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I don't think it should take you 2 more hours just because you have a boat. I pull a trailer with 4wheelers to my lease every weekend during the winter and it takes 3 hours whether I have the trailer or not. I would change the bearings before the trip though, especially if they haven't been changed in a while. And don't forget to check the spare tire to make sure it's in good shape...the jack and lug wrench won't do much good if you don't have a good replacement tire!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

where u gonna be fishing at?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Great White

Empire/Buras/Venice.. i got a good spare and the bearings are in 80% shape.. i changed all 4 hubs back in march/april
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Great White

i might bring a small tool box with me with a hammer and the occasional screwdrivers and a few sockets, just in case..
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 851

Nowdays you can get the entire hub assembly with the bearings already packed with grease. Seal in ziploc and put in safe place. I don't want to be on the side of the Bonne Carre bridge trying to 'hand-pack' bearings. I think you have all the safety equip. you need although I would add some of those giant channel locks. Last time I had one burn up I couldn't get the inside race off but some nice gentleman stopped and loaned us a pipe wrench. Good luck and hope you 'tear em up'...P.S. if you have bearing buddies(the little spring-loaded caps) , just barely keep a little positive pressure on them. I've got a buddy that insist on pumping the hell out of his bearing buddies to the point he blows out his inner seals.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Great White

i got one of them in my tool box. Got road flares and those triangle signs...Just in case...
Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 646
Default Trailer Wheels

You might've done this already, but I'd put something like Never-Seize on the lugs of your trailer tires. I knew somebody who got a flat on his boat trailer, and couldn't get the wheels off. It doesn't take long for them to freeze up in Saltwater.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Great White

i'll stop by auto-zone after work and grab a can... didn't do that... i was giving that impact wrench hell when i was changing the bearings... lol
Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

JFranovich, wish you were fishing PLAKE since my boss just put a brochure on my desk for school in N.O. the same dates. Anyone fish PLake on here and want to take me August 12-15?

Regards,

Raymond
Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

you can buy a hub with the spare attached it seems like a great idea. . i usally tow my boat 250- 325 mikes per weekend and a 18 ft enclosed cargo trailer every day 50+ miles havnt had trouble with the hubs just keep them well greased but its is still smart to keep a spare hub, hand tools and a BRIGHT flash light . good luck in venice the river is at 3 something in new orleans now so the fishin and water clarity should be great we were catching red within evysight of the river 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Great White

roger that... im getting new fillet knives after work also..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

If your worried about your hubs make sure to have a punch to knock out the racers with and a chiesel in case the bearing freezes on the spindile and some emre cloth. Buddie bearings dont have to be greased every trip. Every 3 or 4 trips pump a couple of shots or grease.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Great White

i bought all new bearings and all new bearing buddies in march/april of this year... replaced them all at the same time !
Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

You have to be one of the most prepared people I have ever seen! Good Lord! Hey, don't forget your tackle boxes, poles and live shrimp(you can get them there).Croakers might help if all else fails(W's saving grace)!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

I have a 2008 trailor and it came with hubs that the manufactor says never have to be greased. Have you guys ever heard of this?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
You have to be one of the most prepared people I have ever seen! Good Lord! Hey, don't forget your tackle boxes, poles and live shrimp(you can get them there).Croakers might help if all else fails(W's saving grace)!
Thats the same thing I was thinking. Man I sure am glad I seen this post because I pull my boat from Denham Springs to Venice, Grande Isle, Big Lake, and Lake mary and even from Hackberry to Grand Isle which is a 6 hour trip and I set the cruise on 80 and roll with it. I need to start collecting those things just in case.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
I have a 2008 trailor and it came with hubs that the manufactor says never have to be greased. Have you guys ever heard of this?
Hmmmm.....Is it a certain kind of hub that only he sales????
Sure is a good looking boat in your avitar!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Great White

Mine are the tapered 1 &1/4" bearings... takes me about 15 minutes to change whole set on one hub... i'll be I-10 all the way... if anything goes wrong, hopefully it'll go wrong close to an exit with an auto parts store clOUse (for salty) by.... im keeping my fingers crossed.... BTW tackle boxes and poles are already in boat... and im leaving august 12th.. lol im readier than REDDY !!!! I might get one of them air compressors that are cig. lighter adaptable.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

& when none of that stuff works make sure you have lots of beer!!!!!!!!!!!!
It kicks the anger factor down a notch!