SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534
Default Sleep Apnea

Anyone else have this ? Was diagnosed with this yesterday and I have no idea what to do from here. Dr said he was going to call my insurance and get them to approve me a CPAP machine. Whats the most "Comfortable" contraption to use while sleeping ?? Darth vader mask or the O2 nose mask ?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

PM me your number, I own a company that handles Cpap machines and can point you in the right direction. I also have a RT on staff that can talk to you.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Most people I know use the nose cup
Old 10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

My Cpap machine changed my life! I don't go a night with out it. I suffered for years even had my nose redone. The first time I used one was in the sleep study, fell asleep and woke up asking the nurse what happened, she said " it's time to get up". I had slept all night didn't even budge.

Once you are at home it will take a while to get used to it. Wear it every night to go to bed. It took me a month before I could keep it on all night.

Best thing I ever did for me.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

Forgot to add. Full face mask, I have allergies and it your nose is stuffed up, the nose one won't help at all. Plus it will be easier to get used to because some times you breath through your mouth and some times you nose.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Great White

i just had nose surgery earlier this year. Im tired of sleeping 8-10 hrs a night and waking up feeling more tired than before i went to bed. Waking up at 2:00am for a fire dont help much either, but thats beside the point. I was telling my Dr yesterday and I feel more alert of i get 3-5 hrs of sleep vs 8-10. He said its because im fighting myself when I sleep because i cant breathe.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Redfish

Cash: 850
Default CPAP

When I first used the cpap i wanted to throw it against the wall. For some people it takes a while to get used to. I have to keep my pressure lower than what is recommended because I would have severe cramps in the morning that would last til 10:00...Could barley move...No problems now. Im sure many people that "died in their seelp" had this disease and didn't know it. I would think i was sleeping all night til my wife told me i stopped breathing many times througout the night and the episodes would last for 20 to 30 seconds. This can lead to lead to many other health issuse like heart disease so get used to the machine! it will save your life. Some people notice a difference right away in their energy level others like me take much longer.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

As far as the sleep apnea machine they are amazing. Started using one about a year ago... I use a Elan Sleepweaver cloth mask. And for me that has been super comfortable and very easy (since it's a soft type mask)

It's going to be very awkward at first... and takes some getting used to.. but once your used to it you will have really good sleep again.

Look very very closely at what your insurance company will pay vs what you will have out of pocket....

compare that to what you can just purchase a machine outright for from somewhere like CPAP.com. Because of the high humidity here in LA i almost never use my humidifier for my machine. So consider just purchasing a machine without humidifier.

If i had to do it over again, i would not have let my insurance company talk me into the BS deal that they did for their overpriced cpap machine. By the time i pay my yearly deductible I end up having paid 3x what i could have bought a brand new machine for, and then because it was a rental rather than a purchase.. you get to do it all over again for every year.... I said adios to them after realizing how big of a scam it was.. and outright purchased machine 6 months ago.

If budget is real tight you can get a refurbished unit from somewhere like http://www.secondwindcpap.com/ (your gonna get a new tube and mask anyway so it's not like a refurbished machine is a bad thing)

after you start using it... Welcome back to real sleep... amazing difference.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

I went from sleeping the 8-10 hours and waking up dog tired...

to sleeping 6 hours and feeling amazing when i woke up..

honestly now i can't hardly ever sleep more than 7 hours...

This is the mask i use... I went with camo pattern.... you can always choose pink or leopard print if that's your thing... :P

http://1800cpap.com/sleep-weaver-mas...FUdk7AodI3MAng
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Red Snapper

^^^^^Why shop online from an out of country company when you have small business owners like myself who can offer the same products.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Have a machine and used it 5xs and never put it back on!!! I sleep on my stomach and that thing never stayed on 20mins right

Use it to blow up mattresses @ camp
Old 10-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Have you tried LIMU

Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrod View Post
^^^^^Why shop online from an out of country company when you have small business owners like myself who can offer the same products.
Not saying he should, And purchasing a machine from someone local that you know and trust has it's benefits. Just providing some options.

I am saying that it's wise to watch what type of deal the insurance company is going give you before choosing them, If they want to put the customer on a rental contract yet their plan has a high yearly deductible... well the math says you are a whole lot better just buying outright.

I don't think it's the norm for ins companies to do this. But I know that's what they pulled on me... so just a word to the wise kind of deal.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Have a machine and used it 5xs and never put it back on!!! I sleep on my stomach and that thing never stayed on 20mins right

Use it to blow up mattresses @ camp
So give jordan your machine... perfect solution right there.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Great White

lol...im working a deal right now.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Great White

Goldenrod, i will get with you when i figure out how much insurance will pay for a machine. If they want X amount and you can beat the X amount, you have my business.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Red Snapper

99% of all insurances rent CPAPs for 13 months. This criteria is set nation wide and has nothing to do with the provider that you choose to do business with. For instance, Medicare rents the machine foe 13 months, then the machine belongs to the patient. But after the first three months we have to download it to see if the patient is complient, if not we do not get paid.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Great White

so its a rent to own for 13 months ??
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Red Snapper

Yep
Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Red Snapper

Make sure you factor in the cost of your deductible... ie... it's almost end of year so even if you have met this years deductible... when next year rolls around you will be paying a deductible again. could end up costing you 700$ for a machine that you can buy outright for 300.