SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 648
Default What Line Do You Use?

I currently use 12lb big game and change it out every trip or weekend that I fish. I am thinking about going to braid but was wondering the pros and cons. If you do use braid what type and how long of leader do you use?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosska View Post
I currently use 12lb big game and change it out every trip or weekend that I fish. I am thinking about going to braid but was wondering the pros and cons. If you do use braid what type and how long of leader do you use?

I hated braid thats why i switched to Mono big game 12 lb test. change it every 2 trips

Braid you could feel ever tap, but was a pain if hung,or backlashed. Braid would also cut into the spool (you'd understand if you seen) so you'd put 15 yds of mono before the braid
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

I use 30lb red powerpro on all my setups. Have never had any problems other than scrambling when I get hung on an oyster reef as the powerpro just won't snap.

Some people claim that the powerpro causes havoc on their gear, but I haven't seen it. Then again, I am not out on the water every day like some of the others here.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

10lb Berkley Big Game with 20 Vision shock leader
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

12 pound Berkly Big Game. However, I am about to try 20# power pro!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

I use 12 lb P-Line.............I've had it rub against Pile-on's with barnicles and not break on me. I really like the stuff.

Can I ask you guys, is it really necessary to change your line after every trip or every other trip?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

i use 20# power pro moss green color. when fishing for reds i dont worry about a leader . when trout fishing i use a 15-20 # fluro leader tied directly to the braid with a uni to uni knot . i usally tie on the leader and make it a foot shorter than the rod im using like if im uding a 7 ft rod i use 5.5 - 6ft not long enough to go into the reel though . i like the leader longer because its gives u alittle strech in the line because the braid has 0 strech. i find with a longer leader i tear less lures out of trouts mouths and it also allows me to cut 5-10 inches off it a gill plate nicks the line w/o having to re tie a whole new leader. another plus is you dont have to change your line every other trip and sence 20 lb pp is like 6lb mono dia. it holds a ton of line when the coplor fades i just re spool it from one reeel to another because there is no memory
Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Blue Marlin

if i do use mono i use suffix siege but 99.99% of the time its braid i use
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_slayer View Post
I use 12 lb P-Line.............I've had it rub against Pile-on's with barnicles and not break on me. I really like the stuff.

Can I ask you guys, is it really necessary to change your line after every trip or every other trip?

with mono it twist up so bad. I do especially if i throw eels without a leader..bass rods i'll change it like every 5 trip
Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

10lb berkley trilene w/ 20lb mono leader.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Because I change line before every trip, I use that cheap mono, it is like $4 from Walmart, made by Shakespeare I think, 10 or 12 lb, and use a 15 lb. flourocarbon leader. The important part is check and set your drag after each spooling.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default power pro

I use 30lb power pro ( 8lb Diameter) i allways carry a couple of 8 " pieces of broom handle when i fish. If ya get hung up wrap your line around the broom handle and a steady pull will A. break the line B. straighten out the hook or C. pull up the obstruction.
If i am fishing plastic on a jig head i tie directly to the jig.
top water or any lure w/ multiple hooks and i use 18 " of 30 lb floro carbon for a leader.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
with mono it twist up so bad. I do especially if i throw eels without a leader..bass rods i'll change it like every 5 trip

oh ok.......I thought ya'll meant the line would be dry rotted or something.....I usually change my line when I can tell the line is really twisted
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

Baitcasters - 14lb Stren Clear Blue Flourescent

Spinning - 20lb Green Powerpro
King Mackeral

Quote:

Same question - am I missing something here? I change my powerpro out about once every six months or year, depending on how bad it is or if it's low.

I have bass rods with line that is several years old and have never had a lick of problems with em. I check it, but i've never been overly concerned about it...I know this is extreme, but so is changing your line after every trip.

What am I missing here?
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:

I change mine out about every 3rd trip.... But I use a small barrel swivel between my line and leader.....Its a 30lb swivel made by p-line...it is real small.......... I here are some pics to give idea..... This way your line don't twist up when using sand eels or any other plastic..... 20lb Fluorocarbon leader is a must when saltwater fishing I think...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00323.jpg (82.3 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00324.jpg (81.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
[/color]

I change mine out about every 3rd trip.... But I use a small barrel swivel between my line and leader.....Its a 30lb swivel made by p-line...it is real small.......... I here are some pics to give idea..... This way your line don't twist up when using sand eels or any other plastic..... 20lb Fluorocarbon leader is a must when saltwater fishing I think...
Thats exactly how I do mine when I use plastics
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethetiger55 View Post
Same question - am I missing something here? I change my powerpro out about once every six months or year, depending on how bad it is or if it's low.

I have bass rods with line that is several years old and have never had a lick of problems with em. I check it, but I've never been overly concerned about it...I know this is extreme, but so is changing your line after every trip.

What am I missing here?
if you use power pro your missing nothing . pp has no memory if you do decide to change it just switch it from 1 reel to another and the unused part of the old spool will we on top the new one . plus at 25 bucks a roll who wants to change it every trip.. BTW they have 1500 yrd roll of pp on ebay for 80-90 bucks i but it like that and save $ plus if you but a 150yd or 300yd you always have some left over that isn't enough for any reel but with a continuous roll 1500 yrd you eliminate the waste
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
King Mackeral

That's a heck of a deal on the power pro for the 1500yd spool. I have my catalogue in front of me and I can sell it for about a $100. It retails for about $125...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethetiger55 View Post
That's a heck of a deal on the power pro for the 1500yd spool. I have my catalogue in front of me and I can sell it for about a $100. It retails for about $125...
i know mark at superior said the same thing . i was worried about the spool having less than 1500 yr on it but i got a new one and comparied it to his and its 1500 yrds!