SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default Huge Hornet?

The misses killed a couple of these bad mothers at the house today! Seeing if our Salty Cajun Bioligist <~~that would be you Duck Butter, can tell me what kind that is, mean looking son of a gun, i would hate for any one to get stung by one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.6 KB, 650 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
King Mackeral

Default Again

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.6 KB, 645 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

That's funny. I killed one just like that today. I've never seen one before in my life.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Looks like a yellow jacket, kinda big though.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Cicada hornet?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Looks like a big yellow jacket aka ground hornet to me. I'm no biologist... Wherever she killed them at you need to search the area for the nest bc if you don't find their headquarters soon they will overtake your yard!!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 11-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

That's small compared to the Japanese hornet 3" long flesh deteriating venom 1/4" stinger live in the ground and they live here also beware of them although I've rarely seen them around this area I think they like drier ground maybe why
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Looks like a big yellow jacket aka ground hornet to me. I'm no biologist... Wherever she killed them at you need to search the area for the nest bc if you don't find their headquarters soon they will overtake your yard!!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Yes.

I got hit 3 separate times by a nest that I though I eliminated.

I was cutting grass and got stung between the toe nail and the skin on my big toe, oooooooo Lawt talk about pain. I didn't know where it came from though.

Round 2 I was push mowing this time because the rider was broken, and when I got by the ditch I found the nest, and the jackets found me! I took off running and swatting, (pretty sure I was hollering *** as fast and loud as I could), by the time I made it to my back door I was down to just my shorts and they were still chasing and stinging. I had hand prints on my inner thighs, they were stick in my shorts too. And, they DO NOT stop stinging.

I got sting over 100 times, my little boy was sleeping in his crib so I jumped in the shower and was feeling like I was going to pass out. When I got out, I could here my boy making noise and something bouncing against the ceiling - two of them were in his room and he was talking baby talk and pointing at them!! When I went in the living room to pick up my shorts, there were a couple in them still buzzing furiously, while my neighbor is beating on the door to make sure I'm not going to die - they witnessed everything, which is embarrassing.

Found 2 holes and dumped 2 liters of gas in them, left the 2 liters turned up in the holes over night to seal them in. I watched the area with binoculars and drove my remote nitro car over it to make sure they were gone.

Next time I was brave enough to cut there, game on! They were back! Same story, running and hollering and cussing.

This time we gassed it and lit it, there were more exit holes all around the area. You should have heard the nest crumpling below ground, and seen how long that hole smoldered. It was unbelievable!

I moved shortly after and take off running when love bugs show up unexpectedly in my peripheral while I'm cutting grass, wood bees buzzing make me gag now too. Those yellow jackets changed me... Find then and kill them before your wife or some kids get into them!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384608775.219276.jpg
Old 11-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Yep...

had an infestation of yellow jackets in a dirt hill behind my house several years ago. After getting stung a few times trying to deal with them I did the gas trick and set it on fire. Don't think I had much trouble with 'em after that.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I watched the area with binoculars and drove my remote nitro car over it to make sure they were gone.
This is the best part of the story!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 673

Quote:
Yes.

I was cutting grass and got stung between the toe nail and the skin on my big toe, oooooooo Lawt talk about pain. I didn't know where it came from though.

Round 2 I was push mowing this time because the rider was broken, and when I got by the ditch I found the nest, and the jackets found me! I took off running and swatting, (pretty sure I was hollering *** as fast and loud as I could), by the time I made it to my back door I was down to just my shorts and they were still chasing and stinging. I had hand prints on my inner thighs, they were stick in my shorts too. And, they DO NOT stop stinging.

I got sting over 100 times, my little boy was sleeping in his crib so I jumped in the shower and was feeling like I was going to pass out. When I got out, I could here my boy making noise and something bouncing against the ceiling - two of them were in his room and he was talking baby talk and pointing at them!! When I went in the living room to pick up my shorts, there were a couple in them still buzzing furiously, while my neighbor is beating on the door to make sure I'm not going to die - they witnessed everything, which is embarrassing.

Found 2 holes and dumped 2 liters of gas in them, left the 2 liters turned up in the holes over night to seal them in. I watched the area with binoculars and drove my remote nitro car over it to make sure they were gone.

Next time I was brave enough to cut there, game on! They were back! Same story, running and hollering and cussing.

This time we gassed it and lit it, there were more exit holes all around the area. You should have heard the nest crumpling below ground, and seen how long that hole smoldered. It was unbelievable!

I moved shortly after and take off running when love bugs show up unexpectedly in my peripheral while I'm cutting grass, wood bees buzzing make me gag now too. Those yellow jackets changed me... Find then and kill them before your wife or some kids get into them!!!
Not trying to laugh at you, but rather with you. Glad you made it out OK, but that's some funny stuff right there.

Did you write about this story on another Louisiana website while it was happening? Reason I ask is a couple/few years ago a guy with a very similar story would write about his ground hornet battles and would report at the end of the each day. Freaking hilarious how everybody following the story was egging him on. Final Solution = FIRE
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1967 View Post
Not trying to laugh at you, but rather with you. Glad you made it out OK, but that's some funny stuff right there.

Did you write about this story on another Louisiana website while it was happening? Reason I ask is a couple/few years ago a guy with a very similar story would write about his ground hornet battles and would report at the end of the each day. Freaking hilarious how everybody following the story was egging him on. Final Solution = FIRE
I didn't post on LaS. Laugh it up, it's all good!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 606

any other suggestions on how to get rid of them. I hit one in my back yard this weekend and need to get rid of it
Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Yes.

Attachment 58717
Had a similar experience when I was about 12 years old at my deer camp. We were making new trails with the dozer through our woods. I was following the dozer on my 4 wheeler. Dozer goes through creek and uncovers a huge ground hornet nest and they all jump on me. I run through the woods shedding all my clothes on the fly. Got stung about 50 times.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
The misses killed a couple of these bad mothers at the house today! Seeing if our Salty Cajun Bioligist <~~that would be you Duck Butter, can tell me what kind that is, mean looking son of a gun, i would hate for any one to get stung by one
Looks like you got yourself the queen yellow jacket Them workers gonna be mad bro

Was it dead when you found it? Usually the queens of any social group are never alone. May have gotten replaced by a new queen idk. Cool story but the chosen queens get fed something called 'royal jelly' by the workers, its a special concoction. and also of note is that we have no native honeybees in the US, all of them are of European descent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yj.jpg (18.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg yj2.jpg (36.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

...and screw a yellow jacket
Old 11-18-2013, 01:39 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Looks like you got yourself the queen yellow jacket Them workers gonna be mad bro

Was it dead when you found it? Usually the queens of any social group are never alone. May have gotten replaced by a new queen idk. Cool story but the chosen queens get fed something called 'royal jelly' by the workers, its a special concoction. and also of note is that we have no native honeybees in the US, all of them are of European descent

it was not alone there were others about the same size, and it was not dead till it got hit with some wasp spray but that was the only one i could find to take a picture of, my better half took them out the other day while i was at work, if it isn't the queen then i would hate to see how big the queen is
Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

We had one of these in the house yesterday and I found one dead in the garage this morning.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521
Hairout yellow jacket from hell

Guys I have a story that is painful to remember. I was cutting grass with a push mower next to dog kennels. I ran over a nest in the ground, one flew up the inside of my shorts and stung me on one of my planter peanuts. Pain was unbelievable and to make matters worse, I had to explain what happened to an old lady that owned the kennel and then drive home without throwing up.