SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Mcnabb has hit the nail on the head. 3 things you need to learn fully, and you will be able to hang with most.

Hiding
Calling
decoy placement
part.
I will agree with 2 of those. Calling and hiding. If you get those 2 down there is really no need for decoys. Do I bring decoys? Yes. Bout a dozen. When I hunt lacassine I don't bring any decoys. Decoys are over rated. Once you learn how to call and blend in they will come looking for what they hear. You will not find a spinning wing decoy in my spread. I hate em and wish they were outlawed.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Great thread going on here, that's what this site is about. I'll b the first to say I use them and believe in them. There are a certain times to benefit from them and times where they will kill you. All you can do is watch the birds and act upon them. The birds will always tell you what they want. I catch myself a lot more these days watching them and seeing how their wings motions are. They will tell you what it takes to get them up close. To me duck hunting is all about seeing what you can do to get them up close and personal. I'd rather kill 10 birds that were right in the decoys then kill a limit on passing shots. To each is on and come on September!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
U need to come see what real intensity is and train with me. Promise not to cry.
Why would anyone want to punish themselves to that extent!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
You will get a thousand different answers about this if you get one . I have a pile of useless "fad" junk around here I have collected over the years. No matter what you use there will be good days and bad days in the blind . The most important thing is to always pay attention to what the birds are doing ,and how they react to what you are doing . There will be days when you cant get a bird to even react at all ,and there will be days when you cant do anything wrong . It all boils down to if the birds want to be there or not. Personally I rarely use the spinners unless I get customers who want me to put it out . Save your money for quality decoys instead.
Remember, sometimes it just aint their day to die !
I fall in this categoryof opinions, i bring them daily and pull them often. Good luck cuttin em boys!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Just throw a sack of sweet tators out in da pond and your done!!! lol We use motions on our lease,but we all up in the timbers! I find the swimmers that spin in circles are alot more effective than the birds on a pole. something about that bird swimming and making ripples looks very natural!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

I'm not a real advocate of the motion decoys, but my hunting partner is. I hunt in a rice field mostly for goose hunting. I have to admit they do have their moments. Number one rule is have a remote control, geese will flair off the robo ducks if they are running. Geese will not flair if robo is turned off. They seem to work best in early morning duck shoots before the geese start flying. I can do with or without them. Specklebellies are number 1 in my book.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Casey get you a mojo and a pull cord or whatever else you can use to your advantage. Espescially is there are alot of teal and greys in the area. I understand you have a son that you would like to put on as many birds as possible. Brush your blind right, adjust your decoys with the wind, learn when to call, and don't move. Once you get better with the call try no mojo, but right now try whatever will help you. September will be here before we know it!

Guys, I think Teal is going to open September 15th.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

IMHO....get a MOJO or two or three, the more movement in the spread the better, BUT..there are times that the MOJO's will spook ducks and they will not come in, found this usually on cloudy days, foggy days, clear days best for MOJO...get the remote on each MOJO, that way you can turn them off or on...or hook them up to a battery with a switch..never did this but know other people that have, and like cajunforeman said, "watch the ducks, they will always tell you what to do"....and another point that 80% of the people do not do is let the ducks work...I never shoot unless the legs are down and they are trying to land in the decoys, if more people did this everyone would kill more ducks.....and one more thing, teal will try to land on top of a MOJO, and you can also use a dove mojo in your spread, especially for teal season.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

IMO, we're letting technology run our hunting instead of the primal knowledge of the hunter. Too much in gadgets; not enough in hunter preparation. As stated before, learn to conceal, how to rig decoys and proper calling techniques will give a far better and more enjoyable hunting experience than letting electronics bring in the ducks to your spread. Its just not the kill, its everything that we, as hunters, do to prepare long before the season starts. We need to re-examine ourselves at times to return to the time honored basics of a wonderful, traditional outdoor sport of waterfowl hunting.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Teal season, I'de say a must.

We hunt the mouth of the river and without many if ANY mallard down there teal finish a limit for us more times than not, so I use one in Venice.

Rice fields, not so much.
Hi pressured areas, not so much..........hiding and five decoys are the better option.

I agree with many of the posters that Techno is challenging our youth to "cheat" a little in the sport.

What I find ironic though, is many say the motorized decoy is too easy, but do not see the same in thier 25K surface drive.

I think if you learn the sport the traditional way, then the gadgets are a bonus.

I lot can be learned by poling to the blind in a pirogue before sun up.

Calling down here IMO needs to be minimal at best.
By the time ducks get here they have heard bad calling and shotgun blast for weeks.

Hide.........Hide............Hide........
Few decoys........
A good quack and no feed call in most cases does it for me.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by super spook View Post
casey get you a mojo and a pull cord or whatever else you can use to your advantage. Espescially is there are alot of teal and greys in the area. I understand you have a son that you would like to put on as many birds as possible. Brush your blind right, adjust your decoys with the wind, learn when to call, and don't move. Once you get better with the call try no mojo, but right now try whatever will help you. September will be here before we know it!

Guys, i think teal is going to open september 15th.

and it can't get here fast enough, cause i'm ready to wack some rice rockets.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I will agree with 2 of those. Calling and hiding. If you get those 2 down there is really no need for decoys. Do I bring decoys? Yes. Bout a dozen. When I hunt lacassine I don't bring any decoys. Decoys are over rated. Once you learn how to call and blend in they will come looking for what they hear. You will not find a spinning wing decoy in my spread. I hate em and wish they were outlawed.
Depending on where I'm at, I agree with your decoy statement.

I hunt with a buddy, at his place if you don't have a huge spread, birds won't look at you. Or atleast not the big flocks, which is what the area mostly has.

In my pot hole marshes, I'll bring a dozen at most, but if I got em I'm going to get my decoys placed accordingly
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default SWD

I have not used one until this year on one hunt. I decided to try it in woods during a wood duck hunt and have to say it appeared to get the attention of the couple groups that flew over. Other than that I choose to go old school on ducks. I have hunted with a few people that use them and seem to do ok during teal season and clear days. I guess it is what you feel the most confident hunting with in the spot you select.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Use em in teal season but that's it. I hunt the reserves so I would be better off wearin a blaze orange hat than to stick a flappy duck in the mud. Duck hunting is just a lot of common sense. You don't need face paint, 3 1/2" shells, $200 calls, Hevi-metal, or a qualified electrician to wire your decoy spread. Duck calling on the other hand is a craft that has to be worked on for years, I never could master it. The best thing about it is, there's more to it than blasting your limit every time. For me now, I get just as much enjoyment watching my dog make a difficult retrieve as shooting a limit in 30 minutes. Good luck, and come on September!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I just wish people that hunt refuge would learn to respect other hunters. Som guys will come in and set up right next to you. Most do not even hide at all. They just sky bang everything that comes by them. You see them lose so many ducks this way. To me the fun part of the hunt is watching the birds work in.